Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Miami needs a good large park close to the CBD. I'm talking like 4 times the size of Museum Park. And preferably a bit away from the water so that buildings can be built up around it and the maximum number of people can use it. Something that gives the impression of size like the Tiergarten (Berlin), Hyde Park (London), or Central Park. Something thats huge enough that in certain parts of it you can forget that your even in a city because all you can see is park in any direction. And of course LOTS of mature trees, the kind that provide lots of shade for the summer. If Miami had this it would be one of the last missing pieces where no other city could say they have something we don't (not including features unique to only that city of course). I think it would significantly up the attractiveness to living in Miami that much more. Go to the beach one day, go to the park the next, go to the museum the day after that, etc... One of the most important ways to lure the average suburban American back into the city is to give him the chance to have a big wide open green space to use whenever he wants. That way he doesn't feel the need to keep driving 40 miles back and forth to work to fulfill the American dream of keeping us dependent on foreign oil, and promoting global warming... er, I mean of having a big backyard.

The effective size of this park would probably need to be as big as the golf course on LeJeune just south of where there building the MIC at the airport. But I don't think it would really need to be much larger than that.

So the only question left is... where to build it? I'm thinking somewhere in Wynwood between I-95 (which would need sound barriers) and Midtown Miami. There should be enough "tear down" neighborhoods left around there right? It also shouldn't matter that theirs a major surface road running alongside the park especially if its big enough to get away from all that traffic. What do you guys think? Anyone know a better place to put it?

And yes... I know that it has about as much chance being built as MiamiHurricanes metrorail map, so there's no need to mention that. ;)

·
Banned
655 Posts
It needs to be serviced by mass transit and it needs to be in a good area. I don't think Wynwood fits either of those criteria.

I don't know where to build it but since there is already lots of vacant land in Park West, they could just turn Park West into a huge park (bordered by I-95 to the west, I-395 to the north, NW 6th street to the south, and NE 2nd Avenue to the east). The two interstates could block it off from the dangerous slum called Overtown which is to the north and west of that area and therefore would be connected with downtown but wouldn't be immediately accessible from a bad area....

.....and be careful don't make too many comparisons of Miami/NYC because MiamiMike will call you "immature" like he did to me when I mentioned a "central park" a few months ago. :lol:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I love parks, especially the ones you cited as examples, but it would take way too much to make one a reality. Those parks began their life as parks, not as dense cities. Central Park was small farms when bought and built, Hyde Park was protected hunting grounds. Whether it was good planning or just a lucky accident, Miami doesn't have that available. I think you are also overlooking some good parks that are close to the city: Bayfront Park, Pace Park, Morningside Park, Simpson Park, Alice Wainwright Park, Kennedy Park, Peacock Park, The Barnacle. Then there's the amazing parks on Key Biscayne that are just a short trip away, Virginia Key Beach and Park, Crandon Park, Bill Baggs.

Perhaps the problem isn't the parks but the underutilization of them and the access (via transit) to them.

To play the fantasy Park Manager game though, I can see an amazing urban square develop were we to tear down the Orange Bowl and upzone the land around it. The FEC railroad yard would have made a great site for a multi-use park. Watson Island? Well it was technically a park at one time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
" "tear down" neighborhoods ", that sounds a bit elitist...

put a park surrounded by tall buildings in place of the Orange Bowl? tearing down history for a little green space doesnt seem right either...

Miami wastes and under-utilizes the parks it does have, and sells off whatever else could be good. Just look at all the large waterfront parks close to downtown, Bayside gets built on Bayfront Park, Bicentennial gets paved over with an arena and soon to be museums, Watson Island gets sold off for Parrot Jungle and some condos, Virginia Key gets left in indisrepair. Not that any of those examples arent an improvement to what was there, but if Miami citizens and politicians cared about preserving and expanding green space, there are plenty of small places to start.

And using eminent domain to come in and level and entire "undesirable neighborhood" just to build some giant signature park is also ridiculous. Unless some twist of technology or economy makes the Port or MIA suddenly available for redevelopment or greening, Miami cant really have a large 'Central Park'. And maybe Miami doesnt need it...

The only place of size to create such a park would be at the Biltmore golf course in Coral Gables, but scaling up density here would ruffle some feathers.

·
Registered
411 Posts
A large park surrounded by architecture and attractions sounds great to me. Central Park sized is not feasible, but something impressive in its own right is. This is all wishful thinking though, and a large urban park is not going to happen, although the park west idea is interesting.

Why doesn't the city of Miami use some of its huge tax revenue now on the books from all these condos? Im sure property taxes in Marina Blue or Plaza on Brickell (or any of these projects if you catch my drift) aren't anything to laugh at.

·
Registered
411 Posts
.....and be careful don't make too many comparisons of Miami/NYC because MiamiMike will call you "immature" like he did to me when I mentioned a "central park" a few months ago. :lol:

Come on man I thought we squashed that? Are you serious?

I would like to thank you though for not making that reference since, it had become quite excessive on your part.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive always seen virginia key as the perfect potential miami central park. Its actually almost the exact same size of NYs central park give or take an acre. People dont want developers coming in and turning virginia key into an urban jungle. So i say why dont you go all the way and turn it into a giant park. I envision a thick high canopy. Public beaches sorround the park. I can imagine baseball and soccer fields, bball courts hell even a skate park. A pier would also add to its beauty. The only problem i really see is transportation. A train or streetcar link to virginia key would be vital.

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
isn't it ironic, yeah I really do think

Kevin what does all that verbal diarreah have to do with a central park in miami? This should be an aha moment for you because until you stop posting infantile diatribe after diatribe and using phrases like "pole smoker" we will continue to see YOU the way you see him.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Kevin what does all that verbal diarreah have to do with a central park in miami? This should be an aha moment for you because until you stop posting infantile diatribe after diatribe and using phrases like "pole smoker" we will continue to see YOU the way you see him.
alright i'm going to erase it

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ive always seen virginia key as the perfect potential miami central park. Its actually almost the exact same size of NYs central park give or take an acre. People dont want developers coming in and turning virginia key into an urban jungle. So i say why dont you go all the way and turn it into a giant park. I envision a thick high canopy. Public beaches sorround the park. I can imagine baseball and soccer fields, bball courts hell even a skate park. A pier would also add to its beauty. The only problem i really see is transportation. A train or streetcar link to virginia key would be vital.
Maybe even a campground would find a place there, no?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
put a park surrounded by tall buildings in place of the Orange Bowl? tearing down history for a little green space doesnt seem right either...

Otherwise we are in agreement, but I don't think the Orange Bowl has much life left in it. The Hurricanes are already talking about leaving, the couple of futbol matches they have there every year won't be enough to really sustain it. Either we tear it down and replace it with a state of the art stadium (not enough money) or we tear it down and turn into something people won't mind looking it. My biggest fear is that it turns into Bobby Madurro affordable housing thing.

·
registered snoozer
254 Posts
To me Overtown seems like a great place for a bunch of small parks grouped together nicely. There are already tons of empty lots on which to tear down old crappy single story out of commission buildings. So there's your land.
Instead of having a single large park have a park 'District' where both businesses and homes can coexist. As for transportation, the metrorail is not so far and a fair amount of buses already pass through the area. Also, a light rail from downtown through Miami Ave up to Midtown would be nice. Who knows its might even revitalize the area a bit.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
My biggest problem is the fact that the city doesn't make better use of the parks it already has. They should all be in better shape and with much better care.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
My biggest problem is the fact that the city doesn't make better use of the parks it already has. They should all be in better shape and with much better care.
EXCELLENT point. Y'know, everybody focuses on Central Park as the model (rightfully so) of the ideal urban park but I'm in NYC frequently and it's even more impressive to me what a great job they do at maintaining nearly ALL the parks in their huge system.

Yes, there's a huge difference in funding but it also seems to be a different level of commitment and prioritization as well.

One thing I'd add as well is that I don't think the "Central Park" analogy should be made. Miami doesn't have the space or the same urban dynamics to create anything even remotely similar. I'm all for doing whatever is needed to make the city more green, but agree with kevin that the FIRST priority must be on improving (dramatically) what already exists.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Spellbound--you're from Philly. What are your feelings about Fairmount park and its affect on the city? Or how about Ben Franklin Parkway?! Certainly everytime I make my way back to the city of brotherly love (I'm from Philly too, orginally), seeing BFP brings on a whole new meaning to me for the term parkway. The way it integrates Fairmount, the Schuykill, and the famous art museum (Rocky anyone :dunno:) with center city and the breathtaking skyline is a standard that I wish more cities adopted.

It looks as though Diaz is trying to turn Biscayne Blvd. into Miami's Ben Franklin Parkway. Say that the CBD is our center city, and Bicentennial and Bayfront are our greenways surrounding the road, and the Carnival PAC is Miami's "Philly Art Museum"... If you ask me, what's missing is all the greenspace beyond it.

I agree with Trickykid about turning Overtown into the massive network of pocket parks/small parks (we call them pocket parks in Boca). The obstacle I see in the way is the I-395/I-95 interchange (let alone I-395 in general). It's been proposed before to bury I-395 below ground and bring it back up again east of Biscayne--if we did that option, Miami would have hundreds of acres of potential park space. Even Franklin Parkway, with all its glory and greenspace, has an expressway running under it (see link: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.959754,-75.173628&spn=0.009046,0.013111&t=k&z=16&om=1 )

Central Park can happen.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts