SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if Minneapolis and St. Paul had dense, urban neighborhoods like one sees in other Midwest cities such as St. Louis, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Chicago.

Where are these neighborhoods in relation to downtown?

Can anyone post pictures please? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I know, many parts of Minneapolis have urban neighborhoods, and if you're wondering if there are any dangerous ones, don't mark my words, but I have heard that Northeast Minneapolis has a lot of these neighborhoods and a few are dangerous. Also South Minneapolis I've heard has some of these communities. Here's a revitilaztion project video for Northeast part of the city.

Here is the video

·
tä-gE
171 Posts
it's actually the second most dense major city in the Midwest but this is mainly due to a lack of abandoned housing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ShaneFromSiouxFalls said:
From what I know, many parts of Minneapolis have urban neighborhoods, and if you're wondering if there are any dangerous ones, don't mark my words, but I have heard that Northeast Minneapolis has a lot of these neighborhoods and a few are dangerous. Also South Minneapolis I've heard has some of these communities. Here's a revitilaztion project video for Northeast part of the city.

Here is the video
I think you're thinking of North Minneapolis, not Northeast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Northeast Minneapolis is one of the most docile areas of Minneapolis. I grew up in the only area that could be considered bad. And it was run down, but there was little crime, because nobody really had anything worth taking. MAry-Jane was the main source of crime. That and punk kids playing jokes at all times of the day and night. I know. I was one of those kids. I am hoping to move back to NE in the near future.

·
Brett don't text me
135 Posts
Yes both Minneapolis and St. Paul have very dense neighborhoods. The bad parts you are thinking of are North Minneapolis in the Near North, Jordan, Hawthorne, and Whittard neighborhoods. The bad part of South Minneapolis is Phillippines neighborhood.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So the answer is no, but they do have some apartment buildings scattered about?

·
Pittsburgh rocks!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for posting those pictures. :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
STL4EVER said:
So the answer is no, but they do have some apartment buildings scattered about?
You still haven't answered the question. If those pics don't show dense neigborhoods, then what is a dense neighborhood?

I see you're from St. Louis, so are you saying that a dense urban neighborhood must have rowhouses? Brick buildings and apartments don't count?

Are we talking about dense as in population density, or dense as in abandoned dilapadated rowhouse density?

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
The anti-cheesehead said:
You still haven't answered the question. If those pics don't show dense neigborhoods, then what is a dense neighborhood?

I see you're from St. Louis, so are you saying that a dense urban neighborhood must have rowhouses? Brick buildings and apartments don't count?
I'm from St. Louis and I think these pics of Minneapolis are impressive as all hell. It's a younger city, both demographically and structurally, but the neighborhoods depicted in this thread could stand with the most urban neighborhoods in the Midwest. It's a different kind of urbanity. Whereas cities like STL and Cincinnati have older, more crowded looking neighborhoods (which is characteristic of most older river cities), Minneapolis resembles the appearance of many Chicago neighborhoods-- not quite as old, but solid and urban as hell.

The anti-cheesehead said:
Are we talking about dense as in population density, or dense as in abandoned dilapadated rowhouse density?
Don't take it too far there man. There are many very densely populated, stable and solid neighborhoods in St. Louis City. It's doesn't help your case to draw on stereotypes.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts