Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how well-known Philadelphia is in your country compared to New York, LA, Chicago, etc. Many people (including me) think that Philadelphia is better than those cities and it's extremely underrated.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Philadelphia has better museums, food, arts, and urban parks than New York. For people from the UK, it's probably not the most pleasant memory but the Declaration of Independence was written and signed here, signifying the 1st independent nation to break away from the British Empire. Also, William Penn was from London and he planned Philadelphia's grid based on a rejected idea for rebuilding London after the fire of 1666. In the 1700's Philadelphia was the "Second city of the British Empire" and the wealthiest, largest, and most progressive city in the American colonies.

Lastly, the Liberty Bell and Big Ben (the bell) were made by the same foundry, Pass and Stow.

·
39,232 Posts
Even next door in Canada, Philadelphia draws a blank. We know of it because of sports (NBA, NHL, MLB), but our gaze never reaches any further. Philly suffers from being in the eternal shadow of NYC. Canadians can relate somewhat. We live in the eternal shadow of the US.

We seem to be emerging from it however. Philadelphia will have no such luck.

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
In Denmark it's pretty much only known from the opening song to "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" or whatever thatold Will Smith sitcom was called.. and of course the occational crime-cop show..

·
5,900 Posts
For Belgium: same answer as Freki and Wunderknabe. I actually think that this applies to most countreis in continental Europe.
The brick architecture looks great and very unique for an American city :cheers:
Though brick architecture is not really very excetional over here :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
I lived there for three years and I feel that the reason it is not well known is because it just doesn't want to be. It is a metropolis but with a small town attitude, which I why I loved it so much. It is perfectly content with letting the traveler discover all its hidden wonders. If you love architecture then you will love Philadelphia. You need to let it grow on you and it's a very fun city to explore.

·
It was aliens
4,793 Posts
In Spain people have heard of it, considering it's easily as big as Madrid or Barcelona but nothing else really, maybe the movie or sports teams.

I do agree Philly is really underrated obviously because it's basically a shadow city of one of the worlds largest most important cities. NY is only a 70 minute train ride or 2 hour drive away.

·
SSC Mapper
1,641 Posts
Philly..umm.. cheesesteaks, cream cheese, It's Always Sunny, Comcast Center, King of Prussia Mall..., lots of stadiums in one place, Camden is poor, City Hall was the tallest for ages, ~6 million in the metro, largest counties by population in PA (barring Pittsburgh at #2 (Allegheny county?)

Weird linking with I-95 but they're sorting that out? Plus that terrible interstate people talk about that heads up to King of Prussia being way too narrow or something? Liberty bell and Independence Hall.

That'll do ^_^

But to answer your question, most in New Zealand would know of Philly only by name :(

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
In Croatia its pretty much the same as other from Europe have already said.

I'd say not only NY, LA or Chicago are more well-known, but also Boston, Washington, Miami & San Francisco

·
Mr.Br*gthside
23,226 Posts
In Latin America I think is

Miami
New York

Los Angeles
Orlando

San Francisco
Chicago
Washington DC

Houston
Atlanta
Boston
Dallas

·
A decade and counting
941 Posts
I grew up in north jersey, and the first time I ever visited Philly was only about 3 years ago. It's a charming city but given it's proximity to NY and DC, it gets little exposure. The same issue happens with Baltimore and the CT cities.

·
It was aliens
4,793 Posts
I grew up in north jersey, and the first time I ever visited Philly was only about 3 years ago. It's a charming city but given it's proximity to NY and DC, it gets little exposure. The same issue happens with Baltimore and the CT cities.
You can't really compare Philly to Baltimore, Philadelphia is a bigger city than Washington DC and also used to be the capital of the US. I think it's NY that takes most of its glory away but it's still weird how underrated it is.

I guess it's like a lot of people have heard of Hong Kong but never Guangzhou or Shenzhen despite how huge they are, or like Shanghai to Suzhou/Nanjing.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts