SkyscraperCity banner

Does the rest of New York care what happens to Buffalo?

• New York needs a city like Buffalo to thrive.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • New York does not care what happens to Buffalo.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • New York secretly wants Buffalo to decline entirely.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • New York City. Need I say more?

Votes: 7 22.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what will happen if Buffalo declined altogether(though extremely unlikely): will New York step in and make Buffalo the "little brother" of NYC like it used to be, or will they care at all?

Or, will they speed up Buffalo's decline in order to draw more people to NYC?:?

In any event, I have said many times that Buffalo is a great American city. It saddens me to see what it used to be and what it is now. I am hoping the City of Buffalo starts its dramatic revitalization plan soon, and I hope in twenty years, significant progress will be made. I have already seen some of the progress and I am impressed.

Go Bills!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I think the people of NYC, Long Isl. and the Hudson river valley would be very suprised as to how much Buffalo means to the state, every city has its' issues...but New York as the Empire state was founded on Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany and NYC...as a team.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
new york has nothing in common with buffalo other than voting for the same senators so i don't look at buffalo as being it's little brother but rather view buffalo as the dominant city of upstate NY.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I think the state isn't all against Buffalo.... it's more like Buffalo and Rochester are on the same team, Albany and NYC are on the same team, and Sryacuse thinks it's cool with Albany and NYC AND Buff and Roch but not really. It isn't realistic but the state of New York could really be slit up into at least 2 or 3 different states.

·
registered boozer
1,090 Posts
im really kind of confused as to what the actual question is here.
does new york city care or does new york state(the entity, not the place) care?
or do new yorkers in general care?

i think jmancuso is right on when he say buffalo is the dominant city in upstate. i think its influence dwindles as you go further east in upstate.

theres probably not the connection to buffalo as much in utica, as there is in rochester, for example.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I don't see anyone bashing Buffalo? LAlover was a moron who made that thread with the intent of bashing Erie, a city he had never even been to and probably never even seen a picture of.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
actually, i can assure you that this won't be a buffalo bashing thread...not under my watch. btw, lalover was banned.

·
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare
1,944 Posts
but where does Plattsburgh fit into all of this?

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
plattsburgh just hangs out there all by its hippy self and identifies with montreal moreso than other NYS cities.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
I hate to say it, but I don't think areas around NYC and perhaps Albany, which is almost equal in distance to NYC and BOSTON, about 150 miles, don't really focus about Buffalo that much, but as you get west on the Thruway, Buffalo's influence becomes a lot larger. Particularly, as everyone has said, in Rochester and westward, I think even Syracuse as well.

But as far as Upstate NY is concerned, even though Albany exists, I really believe most of Upstate (and, IMO, the rest of NYS, including possibly NYC)needs to have Buffalo thrive, because in a way, if Buffalo isn't healthy, Upstate NY isn't healthy as far as economy and stuff in concerned, as it is the largest city in Upstate NY. Buffalo is an important part of NYS's well-being and economy, it's just overlooked thanks to NYC.

I don't want Buffalo to become another NYC. NYC is awesome, but Buffalo's nice the way it is and I love it!

I think another interesting thing to find out would be if SouthCentral Ontario (Niagara Region and Haldimand County) and Northwestern Pennsylvania (Erie) are focusing and are an influence to those areas. I fear the Niagara region is not, because of Toronto and its own Niagara Falls, and maybe not Erie, because of Cleveland and Pittsburgh, but Buffalo is closer than both those cities. But those areas SHOULD BE, particularly the Niagara area as it is right on its door step.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is definitely not a Buffalo bashing thread. At least, I hope no one comes in and starts anything.

I would agree that the influence is stronger in the western half of the state as opposed to the eastern half.

BTW, I was referring to the State of New York in general, and not the city.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When you have a geographic area the size of the state, one end most surely won't be thinking about the other much. I'm sure that it doesn't help that NYC is incredibly larger than the Western and Upstate cities combined, but I doubt there's a conspiracy, just ignorance or apathy.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I think Option #1 "New York needs a city like Buffalo to thrive" should be rephrased; say something like "New York believes they need a successful city in Buffalo to thrive", or something like that. But I think that's what you were trying to say.

I voted #2. Going from results, it's the best fit. I don't care what you say, ignorance, apathy, etc., the results speak for themselves. So what else is one left to believe.

As for the truth, #1, exactly as you phrased it, is undeniably correct. Downstaters and NYC residents can say what they want about their current success, but the truth is back when NYS and all of it's cities were firing on all cylinders, it was by far the dominant state in the US - politically, economically, socially, etc. Take a good look at it now, falling faster than a prom dress at midnight. A disgrace, really.

Forget about Buffalo, imagine how much faster NYC itself could be growing with a reformed Albany.

Divide the state now so it can be remembered it for what it once was, and not for how it is and will continue to be.

·
Professional
764 Posts
the rest of the state...particularly NYC absolutely needs buffalo and the western new york region...if for nothing else the resource of the niagara power project, which if it did not export cheap electricity to NYC energy costs in the city and much of its surrounding areas would be so prohibitive as to cause a great stress on the economy there...

luckily though NYS has a city and region that is willing to give up that cheap electricity to the rest of the state even while it suffers through rising energy costs and problemmatic taxes that keep companies and industries out of the area...

not to mention that the western new york region has been the dumping ground for a variety of wastes produced by the rest of the state from west valley in the southern tier to model city on lake ontario

·
Registered
205 Posts
What saddens me is almost NONE of the power from niagara falls is directed to Buffalo, it's all rerouted to NYC area pretty much. We et our power from somewhere in Ohio. This is what would stop the state from ever splitting up, because then NYC would have to pay more for that power. IMO, NYC needs the upstate area, but thats pretty much the only reason.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts