Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doha 2016

Note:all whats coming up is posts from all our qatari members including me.

Hi i was wondering about other peoples thoughts about the Doha bid for the 2016 olympics do you think it deserves it or do you think its not the correct time Doha has 9 years to get ready for this event by then it will be nothing like before.

Here are some projects that will be completed by then :

U/C NDIA (New Doha International Airport)

able to handle 50 million passengers
Opens 2009 ultimately completed 2015

U/C Lusail

1-Marina District:
102 plots launched in 25 DEc 2005. mixture between commercial, residential, mixed used, hotels and a mall.. hights varies between 18 to 40 stories. sold out in 1 week..

2- Entertainment City:
developedby Abu Dhabi investment house. non gated community with waterfront. concept combines themed areas similar to Las Vegas & Picadilly.

3-Energy City:
developed by Energy City Company. Busiess park focuses on the oil and gas companies and other companies that povides related services.

4-QP:
Qatar Petrolume Head Quarter

5-Natural Wadi, this is part of the natural contouring of the area, kept as is to be used as natural reservedcarea/park (all open space) and to be used as future drainage system in the future.

6-Foxhills:
Launched in April 2006, medium denisty area consist of 365 plots majority are esidential some are commercial. hights varies between 5 to 7 stories. provide a living environment simlar to San Fransisco and Chelsea. Sold out in 4 hours !!!

7-Lusial Towers:
4 iconic towers surrounding a square. will be a landmark for all Lusai. currently under design by Lord Norman Foster

8- Lusail Bulevard:
Hign end shopping street with big showroom on both sides,i.e. LV, Ferrari..etc

9-Energy City/Residential:
Residential area developed by Energy City Company

10-Lusail Commercial Waterfront:
pedistrian area with direct interaction with the sea. 2-3 stories buidlings combines of cafes, resturants, small local shops..etc

11-Palm Alees:
residential area, appartments and villas. Has not been launched yet.

12-Golf District:
2 golf cours, 18 holes each. Under negotiation with an international development company to buy/develop the whol area. will contain villas and activities buildings as well.

13-Residential District:
low density residential villas, has not been launched yet.

14-Residential waterfront:
launched 25 Feb 2007, 46 plots, 39 are residential towers with direct acess to sandy beaches the use of the beaches is execlusive to the residents of the area. hights varies between 20-25 stories. 4 plots are mixed use plots, 2 coercial and 1 beach club. all plots sold out in hours !!

15-Northen Island:
execlusive living arae will include resorts, spas and beach villas. ha not been launched yet

16-the 3 Isands: (that is not the correct naming)
more active island because of their location close to Entertinment city and commercial waterfront. mixed use area of residential appatments, commercial, hotels, cafes&resturants etc... not launched yet.

17-QatariDiar visitor center:
will be the first movers to Lusail within the coming 2 months.. i guess you have seen pictures of the places earlier..

18-Entertainment Island:
mixed use island, residential, commercial/retail, hotels and cafes&resturants.. in a discussion process wi one of the big developers..

Qatar plans second mega-project
Qatar expects to launch a second mega-project in Q2 next year to capitalise on the success of The Pearl-Qatar. Bechtel is producing a masterplan for the North Beach and Entertainment City over 32 sqkm with upscale residential homes, two golf courses and hotels.

U/C The Pearl

Qatar Vision for Sustainable Tourism Development

·
Registered
584 Posts
nice presentation. thank you :D

i think all you guys need to do now is sell your sports clubs for private sector and hopefully thatll will always keep sports in good quality in qatar.

·
Banned
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ very funny , who knows maybe we will surprise you :) btw doha is hosting 2011 asian indoor games :)

·
3,839 Posts
i doubt the olympics will be held in the middle east anytime soon !!

only if a miracle occurs and peace will be in the region :S

·
Banned
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dubai will host the Olympics so there is no chance for Doha :bash: :D
hmmm did you even try for the asian indoor games or the asian games its self because we have bigger chances in getting the olympics then dubai

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
I was very impressed with the Asian Games. Doha should certainly bid regardless of its chances. The experience would be great.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Doha now has history in success of such events......and if there is any competition in between Dubai and Doha for hosting the Olympics......it would definitely be Doha...no doubt. Dubai do not have proper stadiums to host any games, they just start to build some recently (if they really did start, not sure). However, Doha already started and we have a good number of stadiums at the moment as we are building more. For example: The wall stadium, capacity 200,000 people. Conclusion: the number of proper stadiums in Doha will be up higher than the number of stadiums in Dubai. Not as it’s a bad thing, but Doha’s intentions are different than Dubai’s

P.S: every country wrote articles about how Doha won’t host the Asian games and how late they are to get done with all the construction. Yet we managed to fix all our problems and host the Asian games in success.

·
Registered
151 Posts
^^ please you say doha has better chance to host the olympics than dubai,1st check this out http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=115413
2nd how the hell will doha manage this large number of visitors, i know that ur building some hotels,malls............ but you need at least 1000000+ hotels' rooms,big and i mean big roads,transport(does doha have plans for metros or trams or even air conditioned ferries),last but not least we may be far behind you in stadiums but man dubai in 2016 will not be the dubai you see today so don't say that doha has better chance than dubai to host the olympics ok,hell neither cities may not host the olympics.

·
Same old me
18 Posts
With cities like Tokyo, Chicago or Madrid bidding, I don't think that Dubai or Doha have any chances.
I obviously wish the Olympics were awarded to Madrid, but 2012 Olympics are going to be held in Europe... so I'm doubting Europe will get the games twice in a row... and if they were to be held in Asia, I think Tokyo has a lot more chances to get the games than Doha.

I'm thinking maybe Chicago or even Rio de Janeiro (if the PanAmerican games go well) could be the awarded cities, since 2012 Olympics will be held in Europe and 2008 in Asia.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts