Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Client : Doha City - Asian Olympic games 2006 - Qatar

Designers : Hadi Seenan - AREP (architect) - Ove ARUP (Engineer) - MaP3 (facade design)

Data : Height : 300 m, facade surface : 30 000 m2,

Budget : 140 000 000 Euros

Expected completion : End 2006

Doha City has planned the construction of a 300 m tower to support the olympic flame at the top, and to become after the games a high standard hotel, with revolving restaurant and sport museum.

The design is based on a central concrete core, covered with a steel mesh facade, with a varying perforation ratio, vertically and on the azimuthal angle, in order to differenciate North and South facades.

·
It's Sting. So What?
32,693 Posts
Looks awesome. Very original. Thought the two images overlapping eachother are a little out witha concrete section sticking out. The top of the tower looks interesting anyway.

·
Brief State of Euphoria
4,010 Posts
this thread should be posted in the construction updates section

·
i'm a hanoian
10,140 Posts
wow...this is defenately an eye-catcher at night...but the main structure is not really straight wa?!?!

·
Soy Viejo, Deme!
5,655 Posts
It looks nice, but are you sure it will be finished before the end of this year??

·
Registered
273 Posts
Absolutely spectacular...futuristic, yet elegant and not a tat bit outlandish. Go doha!

But frankly, wouldnt this limit the stadium's potantial and capability?

*It will not be able to host air-borne performances;
air shows, sky-divers and stunts are an integral part of many major performances (ie: games opening, national parade and etc).

*And not to forget helicopters, which may be engaged in an event (either to hoist a giant prop, national flag or giant projection screen)

*Major events require huge service areas to hold support structures (ie: giant cherry-pickers and cranes to hoist props and projcetion screens in the stadiums.)

*It may also pose a problem for low-level fireworks that fires from the stadium's surroundings.

Most other stadiums around the world are built in low-rise areas to avoid such limitations. But then again, having a tall tower on-site may also open up new potential for the stadium.

·
27,250 Posts
Brilliant design. I LOVE it. Gj Qatar!

EDIT: oops i wrote uae instead of qatar. lol all this development in the uae got the best of me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts