Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...415&call_pageid=968350130169&col=969483202845
Apr. 19, 2006. 01:00 AM
JOE FIORITO

They make a fine noise when they are angry, the men and women of Don Mills. More than 700 of them came to Inn On The Park one night last week to hoot and hiss at Cadillac Fairview.
The people are angry because the developer is going to raze and rebuild the Don Mills Centre. Demolition starts at the end of May. That's not the problem.
The mall was originally to be rebuilt in stages. It was to remain open during construction. But the developer changed plans, and now the mall is to be razed and rebuilt, and there will be no new mall for a couple of years. That's part of the problem.
The independent shopkeepers are relocating elsewhere, or they are going out of business. That's another part of the problem.
The new mall will not be enclosed.
That's the damn problem.
The people who live in Don Mills use their mall the way Europeans use the town square: They come for the daily passeggiata — they flirt, they banter, they gossip, they sit, they have a bite to eat and they do a little shopping.
That is life, in its rich fullness.
And the people of Don Mills seem to know what the developer does not: In Toronto, you cannot do this stuff outdoors. You need a cool place in the summer, a warm place in the winter, a dry place when it rains.
It was some hot meeting.
Various city councillors were greeted with hisses; such is their lot, which they bore smilingly. The councillors avowed that they were as one with the people, but they did not say they could, or would, or even that they should turn the developer from its course. And an official from the planning department said, in effect, that the city's hands were tied.
And then it was the turn of the developer, whose posse included the project manager, an architect, a public-relations flack and a lawyer. These worthies were hooted at by the people of Don Mills, especially the lawyer.
I am eager to give credit where it is due. The posse seemed as if they wanted to hear the people and to answer at least a few questions.
To aid discussion, they brought many attractive architectural drawings. In some of those drawings, there were depictions of happy shoppers frolicking outdoors in the snow. The people snickered and jeered. The people are familiar with the concept of wind chill.
The posse said they would not answer questions unless the people stopped jeering. The men and women of Don Mills rolled their eyes. How else are you supposed to behave when you are summarily deprived of your public square? The men and women of Don Mills may be old, but they are not dead. Prick them and they bleed; bulldoze their agora and they hiss.
The architect said the new mall would be "special and unique with many positive features." He said it would be "distinct and memorable." The people waved a petition signed by 4,543 of their neighbours who do not care a fig for "special" and "memorable."
They just want a roof.
The developer said the new mall would be like Bloor West Village. The people said, "This does not fit our community." The developer said the stores in the new mall would have overhangs to protect the shoppers from the elements. The people said, "How often does rain and snow fall in a vertical manner?"
Alas, some of the councillors seemed to think that what the people really want is a community centre, and the developer said that a community centre might be possible, as if that was some sort of compromise.
But one of the people stood and said, in a strong voice, "I've never heard so much spin in all my life, and I'm 80, going on 90." He said the people want a roof.
Oh, said the developer, but the new mall will feature special "streets," down which shoppers may slowly drive past the nice new shops. A woman said, "You want us to drive by. I can do that elsewhere! Who are you appealing to?" She got no response from the developer, but she got much applause from her neighbours, many of whom no longer drive.
There were, in all, more than 30 questions. There were fewer than 30 answers. The gist? The old mall comes down soon and the new mall will have no roof.
At one point, a high school student in the crowd made reference to the condos the developer is planning to build on-site. She said, "We're not happy at my high school. We're like, `What is this?' It's getting on our nerves that you don't take us into consideration."
She took a breath and said, "In six years, I'll be 20 ... . But six years from now, I'm not going to buy a condo from you!" The people applauded.
Oh, dear.
Cadillac Fairview can do what it wants. Open-air malls are the current fashion. That's life in a democracy. Money talks.
But here is an entire neighbourhood saying with one voice that the plans of the developer are harmful to the elderly, and to the handicapped, and to families with small children, and to people who do not drive, and also to a handful of trusted independent shopkeepers.
If the developer would give an inch ...
Am I a fool to hope?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I can't believe how much press this story is getting. It's a fucking mall remodeling, it is not going anywhere. Old people just love to complain, sigh.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
There was a community meeting a few weeks back where 800+ people showed up to complain about the "lack of roof" issue at the Inn on the Park hotel and there was a petition with over 4,500 signatures.

As a resident I will say that Don Mills Centre is a huge part of the community. Some of those who have come out to complain have lived in the neighbourhood since the 1950s when Don Mills was conceived as the world's first planned community. The mall was an integral part of it (with one of the first Eatons outside of downtown).

I think they care for the community and its concerns. I also support an enclosed space. It's a shame that Cadillac Fairview would want to save heating costs / construction costs at the expense of the people who are supposed to be the customers of the new mall.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
phunky said:
enclosed shopping is part of living in canada. our weather is not predictable. this isn't LA.
This is very true. Add in the fact that during the summer, the sun is scorching and it all adds up to a bad combination for the elderly (which make up the majority of the neighbourhood).

They just want a place to walk around, drink a cup of coffee and socialize without having to deal with the harsh weather that we have.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
You are to blame said:
I can't believe how much press this story is getting. It's a fucking mall remodeling, it is not going anywhere. Old people just love to complain, sigh.
Hmmm not really. They are residents, so they have all rights to get what they want in this democracy. Secondly, those are the people who showed up.

Funny... where were all the folks in favour of the development? That's life- they didn't show up in as great numbers, so that's the proportional representation... obviously most Don Mills residents don't give a hoot to see this new mall happen.

-thryve

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really hate the outdoor mall concept. ever been to the new retail strip on steeles, west of dufferin? just to get from one store to another, you have to hop in your car and drive to the next store. so inconvenient! same goes for vaughn mills, too freakin' spaced out. i'll only visit one or two stores and forgo the rest! i hope the new donmills project won't be like that...

I'm not much of a shopper anyway, so I guess I'm not the target clientele...

·
The Greatest
4,515 Posts
Maybe Cadillac Fairview has had it with their retail complex serving as a community centre for the aged - not sure how successful the new concept will be but should get alot of publicity and curious onlookers by being the first

·
Banned
185 Posts
I live close by there, next street donmills and eglinton. These old geazers are pissing me off, why can't they just shutup. Do any of you know how shit that mall is they got right now..holly shit its fukin boring, shit stores, full of old farts , break that piece of shit, for god sake PLEASE ...I HATE THAT MALL SOO MUCH, I SWEARR IT IS ONE OF THE WORSE MALLS I'VE EVER BEEN TOO

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
^^ Take a chill pill, crack, smoke weed or something, but ur ass needs to calm down.

Cadillac Fairview wants to build an outdoor concept mall for what reason? Aren't the costs much lower for an enclosed mall? Since each store leads outside, that's ganna be alot of heating, and snowremoval, salting, etc... In the winter that place will be empty, thus resulting in less profit.

EDIT: Shit, I just saw your breakdancing and running up walls and shit on your TDW.... Ur insane!! That's crazy good man. LOL, what were the other people thinking in that subway station? Oh yeah, it was the sheppard line, there were no other people :sleepy: ...

·
Banned
185 Posts
lolol ahaha im calm buddy, im just typing shit, im not yelling on the other side. I just don't like that mall, its truely terrible, so i just want to see something new, and if aint as good as what they got now, i still don't care, cuz i don't go there because i dont like it. Has anyone ever been there ? you guys will know what am talking bout once you step foot in there

but anyways...Don't do it .. bout crack..ahah neverr , i smoke dat weed everyday. ahah you seen that flip video ay, thats old still from last summer. I wanna make a new video this month, I'll show you when i make it

·
SSLL
8,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Enclosed malls are a no-brainer in Canada, I agree. However, look at big boxes, like the scads in Vaughan and Mississauga, those are detached and they're quite popular. I remember this happening when they tore part of the enclosed section of Elmvale Shopping Centre in Ottawa as well. Close to a retirement home, there were lots of seniors wanting an enclosed part kept just so they could keep warm and socialize.

·
天豆
9,950 Posts
Don Mills Centre does not really fetch for the younger crowd. It is really much smaller than a true regional mall such as Scarborough Town Centre / Markville.

You don't have a theatre (used to..) or anywhere else for the "hipsters" to "hang". What other facilities would make this place hip? ;) I would agree with you mike, that the mall is pretty horrible in terms of aesthetics. I mean.. you have a huge car park that is basically empty where Eatons used to be. This kind of unused land should be redeveloped. Right now it is basically a refurbished mall.

It's pretty obvious that the upkeep for an outdoor mall would be lower than an indoor mall. Instead of salting, you have heating costs (which would be more costly) and regular cleaning.

This mall caters mostly to the elderly crowd who live in the homes / apartments that are a short walk away. Unfortunately, nothing will change the plans of this mall, which looks to be the ultimate cash cow for Cadillac Fairview. (1,200 new condo units)

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
greekguymike said:
lolol ahaha im calm buddy, im just typing shit, im not yelling on the other side. I just don't like that mall, its truely terrible, so i just want to see something new, and if aint as good as what they got now, i still don't care, cuz i don't go there because i dont like it. Has anyone ever been there ? you guys will know what am talking bout once you step foot in there

but anyways...Don't do it .. bout crack..ahah neverr , i smoke dat weed everyday. ahah you seen that flip video ay, thats old still from last summer. I wanna make a new video this month, I'll show you when i make it
Looking forward.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to agree with greekguymike that mall is a piece of crap. After the eatons pulled out it's flagship store was a National Sport discontinued Items Store then it bacame a used car dealership, those are not the classy types of places I shop.

I'm sure it's fine mall if you're over 75 and want a place to sit down and have McDonald's coffee. The busiest time for this mall is lunch hour when the school across the street lets out and everyone goes over for food, and school let’s out month or so, so no business in the summer, I can’t remember the week that the schools let out it’s been a few years since High School. Only one store in that mall is geared towards it's largest spending group for that time of day and that's the Music World. The 75 year olds just wheel around in their scooters or go for their morning power walk.

My Other problesm is that all these people are complaining now why didn't they complain two or three years ago when this first started getting planned. They can't think CF will stop with their plans now after 3 years of work.

P.S. I know the Mall well I went to the school across the street, DMCI, and live in the neighborhood still, Lawrence and the DVP.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Older folks are usualy more politicaly active. These folks are losing their hangout for a few months. They have nothing else to do now so why not bitch.

·
Have vision. Think big.
623 Posts
This is such a non-story.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I had to visit the website to make sure we were talking about the right mall. This mall is pretty bad, and I can understand why CF wants to make it better and more profitable. I lived once near East York TC, and when we need to go to a mall, we kept on driving on Don Mills right past this crap hole Don Mills mall to the massively better fairview mall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts