Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry.. not related to buildings and stuff.. but thought some of you might be interested.

National Geographic has started a Genographic project for quite some time now. They're testing the DNA of more than 100,000 people from around the world to trace the migratory pathway of the human species, presumably going back to a common African ancestor 60,000 years ago.

You can volunteer in this project by ordering a kit from them that would cost about 120 USD including shipping for international orders or 90 USD if you're in the U.S. or Canada. You send them back some cheek swabs according to directions in the kit, and it also includes a CDROM that describes this migratory pathway which they're mapping, and some printed maps. Most of the money goes towards funding the research. You get an ID number and can log on anonymously to their site six weeks after you send your DNA, and your personal results will be shown, including what specific race you belong to, which races you have mixed with, and the migratory pathway of your ancestors showing which lands they lived in over a period of 60,000 years and how they came to live where they are now.

Females will have their maternal ancestry traced only because of the conservation of mitochondrial DNA from mother to daughter, and males will have their paternal ancestry traces because of the conservation of their Y chromosome. It's unnecessary to have more than one family member to do the test.

I planned on ordering a kit months ago but never got to it. I ordered one last week and it's back-ordered (meaning it's temporarily out of stock). But they still accept orders anyway and as soon as it becomes available again, it'll be shipped to you.

Here's the official site with more information: https://www5.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

BTW, I'm not on commission from National Geographic.. just thought you might wanna try it out..

·
Registered
270 Posts
I will like to join and tell you the result in the future Blackforest. I have 7 races mixed on me. I will make them confused ;).

It was very interesting to see some identical genetics between those
nationals:
(Saudi Arabia, Kashmir, Czech, Algeria, Scotland and France)
https://www5.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html

BTW I like that :D
If fortune turns against you, even jelly breaks your tooth.

·
I love Abu Dhabi.
6,349 Posts
Hmm i think i`ll get one of these kits , but i really do hope the DNA sample has nothing to do with cutting yourself and blood :O

·
Registered
9 Posts
- it does involve cutting yourself and lots of blood. How else could they get your DNA sample? haha j/k, All you have to do is use a cheek scraper ( sounds bad but its not ) and scrape the inside of your cheek for about 60 seconds. Then you'll put it in a tube and wait about 8 hours and do the same thing.

There isn't much to the DNA kit, two cheek scrapers, two small tubes, a super tiny plastic bag for the tubes, a return envelope to NG, simple instructions, a short DVD, a map and a couple of little pamphlets explaining what this is all about.

·
Under the Burj
3,491 Posts
Can they clone you at some point down the line, if the database gets into the wrong hands?

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DUBAI said:
Can they clone you at some point down the line, if the database gets into the wrong hands?
Perhaps, but very unlikely chance of that ever happening at their labs.

Someone told me to be careful because I might get a disease from an infected spatula in the kit if there was a crazy employee who tampered with them. That seems a bit far fetched too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts