SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mall of Misfortune

...the South China Mall, which opened with great fanfare in 2005, is not just the world’s largest. With fewer than a dozen stores scattered through a space designed to house 1,500, it is also the world’s emptiest – a dusty, decrepit complex of buildings marked by peeling paint, dead light bulbs, and dismembered mannequins...
What lessons can be learned from the failure of this mall? Should the mall have been located in Guangzhou, rather than the smaller Dongguan?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
It seems like it was designed to suck in regional car traffic like a giant vacuum cleaner; so people in Guangzhou were supposed to be willing to drive there for the "mall experience."

IMO it's a good thing that it hasn't happened, but it might yet. If China decides to develop along the lines of North American outlets and malls in the suburbs, the world won't be able to sustain it.

·
121,773 Posts
I've seen a few ads of this place now and then but never had any urge to go. They're not an outlet mall I don't think, but probably a place for sourcing? Perhaps the lack of awareness is a reason for its failure.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
I don't like shopping malls anyway ... not a big loss. :)

·
17,379 Posts
I've seen a few ads of this place now and then but never had any urge to go. They're not an outlet mall I don't think, but probably a place for sourcing? Perhaps the lack of awareness is a reason for its failure.
I only heard about this mall only here on SSC. But again, why would we bother to come to this mall when our city is already a major shopping mecca in Asia.

And as for outlets, we can just go to Citygate

·
121,773 Posts
I only heard about this mall only here on SSC. But again, why would we bother to come to this mall when our city is already a major shopping mecca in Asia.

And as for outlets, we can just go to Citygate
Sorry, that logic doesn't flow in the general Hong Kong population, as thousands of Hong Kongers flood across the border to Shenzhen to shop, especially for knock-offs. There is a huge mall right across the Lowu border crossing full of these kinds of things, and later people started going to Dongmen a few subway stops away.

At the other extreme, some people living in the northern New Territories actually cross the border to buy groceries in Shenzhen as their prices are a bit lower, while customs is starting to crack down on people bringing meat across the border due to safety and health concerns.

Sourcing is a huge business as many multinationals (including Walmart and their likes) buy from factories in the Pearl River Delta. They would procure their inventory in Guangdong province.

I've seen ads of this mall on East Rail trains before.

·
Seeking Affiliation
1,217 Posts
South China Mall's Demise Spells Doom for DubaiLand

Tsk...tsk. :no:

I thought this mall would have done fine. I mean, it won't be an "uber-popular" shopping and entertainment destination but a normally-crowded wholly-integrated attraction, nonetheless.

Too bad all things went haywire for this mall. :(

To put things into perspective, if something like this can happen to a not-so-huge speculative-investment-project in the wealthiest region of the world's fastest growing major economy then this might spell doom for even bigger projects that are being undertaken in wealthy but small and overstretched economies like Dubai (i.e., DubaiLand).

·
Registered
32,113 Posts
^^ From the article:

...People in real estate say that retail is the most difficult kind of property to develop. Even in highly affluent markets like the UAE, it can be risky if too many malls open up at once. “You hear simultaneously everyone launching the project that’s supposed to be the regional draw,” says Groves, the Hong Kong consultant, who has also worked on projects in the Emirates. With malls “so large they beggar belief” sprouting up all over the Middle East, Groves says, “one or more of the projects could have trouble.”

The situation is even more complicated in China, where per capita income is about a fifteenth of the UAE’s....

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
The South China Mall the world's most boring mall because only a few stores are housed in it and because of its financial problems. I'm not demolishing it though. It is the shopping mall version of Montreal's Mirabel Airport. Any other reasons why the South China Mall is a white elephant?

Also, how many stores (specifically) are in this mall?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Great. According to Wikipedia, the South China Mall is now scheduled to close in July of 2008 because of its vacantness. The mall is a white elephant because it has leasable space for over 1,500 stores. Yet just less than 10 stores occupy its space. Another primary reason is that it is located in the suburbs of Dongguan, which means that it is only practical to travel there using a car. The mall's closure will raise the question of what to do with it.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
^^ a storage warehouse maybe?

They'll probably just let the mall sit there empty. Give it 10-20 years, or when the area surrounding the mall becomes highly urbanised and populated, then those retail space will become hot property.

·
Registered
15,775 Posts
As a opponent of uber-malls I think thats great news. Those monster malls are nothing one should wine after. Tere exist far nicer ways to shop, ways that do not force entire regions into the enslavement of the car and suburbanisation.

·
Contrary Lite
562 Posts
As a opponent of uber-malls I think thats great news. Those monster malls are nothing one should wine after. Tere exist far nicer ways to shop, ways that do not force entire regions into the enslavement of the car and suburbanisation.
What is and isn't a nicer way to shop is all a matter of opinion.

·
PRESIDENT OF SPACE
1,690 Posts
They'll probably just let the mall sit there empty. Give it 10-20 years, or when the area surrounding the mall becomes highly urbanised and populated, then those retail space will become hot property.
It will be dilapidated beyond repair if allowed to sit that long without upkeep. It'll probably sit and rot and become a really awesome modern-day ruins

Maybe it could be used a filming location for Hong Kong movie industry?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts