SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 581 Posts

·
28,090 Posts
reminds me if ulevvi

·
Prince du Parc
22,553 Posts
This stadium is also the occasional home of the two neighboring French-Basque rugby clubs (Biarritz and Bayonne), for their big games in the French TOP 14 league, or for the European cups ! :yes:

So, for the good of French rugby, Thanks (in advance) for removing the athletics track ! :D :D

·
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA
1,936 Posts
It looks bigger than 32,200.- Although its not a very eye pleasing sight (the facade) I like very much the inside of it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
It's a nice stadium, but I don't like the track cuz the view isn´t good.
It annoys me when people say stuff like this. Athletics tracks don't make stadiums worse. The view of the pitch at stadiums with a track isn't actually that bad at all, so unless you've been you cant really comment on the views. People always slag off stadiums with tracks, saying theyre not suitable for football or rugby; that's not true at all and in many countries football and rugby is played in athletics stadiums and they rarely complain. Its not ideal, granted, but it dosent ruin a stadium.

Edit: That wasn't supposed to be personal btw Luiggi, i'm just saying...

·
Ars longa, vita brevis
9,246 Posts
I agree. All my life in Eastern Europe I've went to football matches in stadiums with tracks and while I've always hated tracks, I never thought that the view isn't good. My reasons are different: the track breaks the pitch-stand continuity of proper football stadiums which makes it harder to create atmosphere and is aesthetically unpleasing. I like a good athletics stadium (the Cluj stadium for example is gorgeous), but putting a track in the project of a stadium that will mainly be a football stadium is just stupid.
That said, I suspect that this stadium is a municipal stadium and probably the only larger athletics stadium in the Basque Country or even Northern Spain, in which case fair enough, such a facility is needed. If Real Sociedad want a proper football stadium they should build one on their own.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nice stadium, looks like Mangueirão (Brazil)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
San Sebastian: Stadium remodelling for Real Sociedad

After years of stalemate finally most of the financing is secured. Remodelling of famous Estadio Anoeta won't be as impressive as planned a decade ago, but it's going to make the stadium a proper football-specfic one.

It will soon be 10 years since the first presentation of the futuristic Gipuzkoarena concept. Completely rebuilt stadium of Real Sociedad was to have over 40,000 seats and four high-rise office buildings in the corners.

Ambitions were great after the 2003 season, that saw Sociedad battle the other Real, from Madrid, for domestic championship. In the end Real Sociedad lost the battle for Spanish domination by only 2 points, but never managed to get that close afterwards. The following season brought battle to avoid relegation and since then Real Sociedad hasn't been doing too well in the league, also not managing to make the new stadium dream come true.

More plans came in 2007, when buying Estadio Anoeta from the municipality was proposed, and in 2008, when two visions of redevelopment were presented. But neither of the proposals went forward. Finally, more renderings and details were prepared as part of Spain's bid to host the 2018 World Cup. Ended the same way, unfortunately.

Down to earth

What connected the first and last visions for redeveloped Anoeta, apart from 40,000+ capacity, were the four towers to be erected in corners of the stadium. To make the dream of newer infrastructure more realistic they were lower to 10 and then to 7 floors each, becoming more integrated into the planned new outer form of the stadium.

Cost-cutting efforts brought the cost of Anoeta's make-over to €62.5 million ($85m), but that prooved too high as well. Finally recent amendments allowed to decrease cost further and get the entire package (along with neighbouring secondary stadium's renovation and access infrastructure alterations) to €50 million (or $70m). That's the price today.

Securing funds

Anoeta is a municipal stadium, but the municipality already backed out from participating in any redevelopment works.

Real Sociedad is comitted to put forward €20 million, making 40% of the total investment. In recent days further 20% (or €10 million over three years) were promissed by the Basque Country president Iñigo Urkullu, securing majority of planned expences for the first time.

Now Real Sociedad turn to provincial authorities of Gipuzkoa and to Kutxa bank to secure the remainder and begin remodelling of the stadium. It is claimed works may begin as early as seond half of 2014, maybe early 2015.
Alterations

There aren't many details known of what is to be done in the end. In fact, some Spanish media still illustrate articles devoted to the project with images of the 2004 design, which has been outdated for a few years.

What is certain, is the capacity expected to exceed 40,000. It's going to be reached by a completely changed layout of the stands, which will be brought closer to the field, covering the athletic track. Currently at least 25 meters from the pitch, fans are to be brought to some 10-12 meters and get better atmosphere.

With more compact stands more space is to be created within the stadium for corporate use and other facilities. Additional office space is planned as well, not only for Real Sociedad, but also for other sport entities.

Work is expected to be phased and span over 4 years. This comes as an effort to allow constant use of the stadium for Primera División games with no less than 27,000 seats constantly available.
http://stadiumdb.com/news/2014/01/san_sebastian_stadium_remodelling_for_real_sociedad

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
michał_;110577863 said:
Well, the former redevelopment project was just madness, given Real's attendances:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

27K average attendance, and 30K maximun.

Also, they wanted the city council to pay a big share of the redevelopment, which included office/hotel towers and a complete roof redesign.

The current project is much more realistic, and consists on removing the track and extending the first tier (by lowering the pitch, I guess).

Hopefully, Real is going to get a better looking, and an slightly bigger stadium, with seats closer to the pitch.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I was coming to update, but ya were faster, boys. I did also noticed the striking similarity with Le Havre's, and not only because of the facade.

I think Bilbao's new San Mames has something to do with this :) Some catch-up-with-the-neighbour syndrome here, although it is a necessary and longly expected redevelopment. The view at Anoeta was quite poor because of the track. It ended with 43K which is a lot given Real's attendances (around 27K). I hope that they keep using it a as venue for concerts. So many great concerts held there, including Bruce Sprignsteen, Pink Floyd, U2, and many others.

In the overall, very good news to Real Sociedad. Congrats!

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
It is hoped that the club will try to squeeze the four-phase transformation into a tight €40,000,000 budget. The Estadio Anoeta is another stadium that will be transformed from athletics track stadium to association-football-specific stadium, and the work will be erected inn four phases:

Phase one: Some self-supporting steel trusses for the stadium's new translucent inner roof.
Phase two: Athletics track removed and football field lowered by 2.4 metres. (It'll probably be done during the summer break so the need to play games away is limited.)
Phase three: Lower tier of existing stands is demolished and makes way for a new ground-level tier, this time only 8 metres from the field. Also, both end stands are demolished along with their old roof structure and replaced with new goal stands for the stadium's new rectangular form.
Phase four: Infrastructure behind the stands is expanded and is covered with a new blue translucent facade.

1 - 20 of 581 Posts