Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there fellow SSCers. This is the latest of a few photo threads from my recent travels to France and Spain, click the links in my signature to see the others, thanks, hope you enjoy them!

The city of San Sebastian (Donostia in Basque) is a very elegant coastal resort on the Northern Spanish coast, the first major city you reach after crossing the border with France. It was very fashionable at the beginning of the 20th century and retains a lot of architecture from that period along the beachfront promenade in addition to a well preserved old city around the harbour. There are several beaches, one of which lies in a crescent shaped bay with an island at the mouth of the bay, very picturesque

It's also one of the richest cities in Spain, I read somewhere that property prices are higher only in Madrid and Barcelona.

The old town

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you for your photos ^^ they are very beautiful besides, San Sebastian is a beautiful city , Have you took more photos? :)

·
Super Moderator
22,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Thanks, yes San Sebastian is a very attractive city. I don't have any more of San Sebastian but I have others of Northern Spain, click the links in my signature. :eek:kay:

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
This is telepathy. Just watched a documentary on TV about the Basque coast and decided to check it out on SSC. :laugh:

Excellent pics indeed. Northern Spain is so underrated, pretty much as the North of most European countries. Now I'll take a look at the rest of your photo sets.

·
That's what she said
1,792 Posts
Really good shots, mate!

It's annoying when some places have breathtaking locations which are finally ruined by bad-planned urbanism.

San Sebastian is lucky to have a stunning scenary and they have been able to add some very good architecture to it. A true jewel and a top-3 Spanish town IMO.

Thank you so much.

·
vagamundo
11,799 Posts
Some people say that San Sebastián is the prettiest city of Spain. And yes Jonesy, is true, is the third most expensive city in Spain. Even, you can find there most expensive flats that in Madrid, due to their small terrain :yes:

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Luv this city!! :cheers:

·
Registered
865 Posts
It looks beautiful! My sister is currently on a 10 day vacation in France, however she'll be crossing the border and spending a day or two here in San Sebastian sometime this week. I'm very jealous. Thanks for the photos! :)

·
LIBERTINED
45,351 Posts
Great show mate, really enjoyed your lil' tour :applause:

I've been to the Northern Spain coast some years ago, it's marvellous. Santander is a great town as well (Magdalena Island!) and you may spot some stunning landscape there. But I don't think it's that underrated. It definetly gets enough attention by tourists - I don't like too overcrowded (meaning 'overrated' ;)) places anyway.

By the by, let me show you an underrated place: Usedom Island, North-Eastern Germany!

Though it gained a lot of tourists and leaps ahead like nothing else lately (+ 48% accommodations in 1st quarter 2008). So perhaps we can call it an 'overrated' place soon as well... But to be honest, this fine piece of my homelands can't be overrated ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Thanks, yes San-Sebastian is a gem, why go to Benidorm when there is somewhere like this that also has a great beach :dunno:

@ Erbsenzaehler, i'll check out your Usedom thread, although I may have to charge you for using my thread to advertise your own ;) :laugh:

·
LIBERTINED
45,351 Posts
I know, I'm such a plug ***** :colgate: Sorry, but I just had to seize that opportunity.
You may flood all my photo threads with advertisements now! I'm cap in hand.

Thanks for replying to my Usedom thread anyway :)

Since you mention it: Benidorm is utter crap. I've been just some hours down there and got sick. It's ugly, dirty, overcrowded, tacky and... not European in some way.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
The diferences between North Spain and the South/East (i.e. Benidorm) is basically the weather. The southern climate is dry and hot while the northern climate is not very hot and the humidity is higher, and it rains a lot

·
Registered
242 Posts
The thing is the Spanish Atlantic Coast is not well known among foreign tourists because of the weather. No wonder they all flood to the mediterranean coasts for the sun, because what you get in the north is basically what you already have in England, so whats the point? :lol:

Just as an example, temperatures for today in Oviedo (Asturias), max. 20ºC min. 15ºC

·
Super Moderator
22,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ I guess that must be the reason but many people don't just go on holiday for the weather or nobody would ever go to Norway or Scotland :laugh:

In any case, the weather in Northern Spain is still pretty good even if it does rain sometimes, I would prefer 25C in San Sebastian to 40C in Seville or Madrid during August..

·
Registered
242 Posts
^^ Yes, but Spain is so strongly marketed to sun & costas that these areas are mostly ignored by tour operators. Only if you are looking for something else in Spain they might come up with some holiday in Castilla, the Atlantic Coast, La Rioja, etc. They are much more culture oriented as well and would not suit somebody looking for a cheap holiday on the beach.
Summers in the north can be quite crap sometimes, and most people from Northern Europe travel south looking for nice and warm weather.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Yeah!, and that's our big problem, because tourist think Spain is sun, hot, beaches, flamenco etc.. and they're talking about the coast!!, except flamenco, only in southern, so....Talk about where u have been, not about the whole country.

Pd; Flamenco is not the national spanish dancing, only in southern Andalucia, just some of them can dance it, the rest of the country has no connetion with that, (this is an example of the sterotypes)

·
Banned
2,300 Posts
Awesome city...

I prefer Northern Spain, Valencia and Castillas than Andalucia... Andalucia is the worst principality of Spain, in my opinion. I don't like it, it seems so ugly... But have beautiful cities, such as Malaga and Seville, too...

Even though, Spain is the best country of the world.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts