Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Donovan Leaving Gators For Magic

By ANDY STAPLES

Published: May 31, 2007

DESTIN — Billy Donovan, who coached the University of Florida basketball team to three Final Fours and two national titles in 11 seasons, has left the school to become the head coach of the NBA's Orlando Magic.

Donovan will be introduced as the Magic's eighth coach at an 11 a.m. press conference Friday at the team's headquarters in Maitland, a Florida source and a Magic source confirmed Thursday night. Donovan met with the Gators early Thursday evening to inform them of his decision.

Donovan had been the subject of rumors for more than a month. He was courted by the University of Kentucky three days after he led the Gators to their second consecutive national title with a win over Ohio State in Atlanta.

The Associated Press reported that Donovan has agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million deal to coach the Magic. Donovan said in recent weeks that he hoped to sign a contract extension at Florida, but that it was up to Gators athletic director Jeremy Foley and UF president Bernie Machen to finish the deal.

At the Southeastern Conference's spring meetings Thursday, Machen declined to comment specifically on Donovan's departure, but he did address the issue of a contract extension.

"It's done," Machen said. "It's been done."

Donovan did not answer his cell phone, and his voicemail was full. He did not respond to a text message. Foley did not return phone calls. Even after being informed of the press conference, Machen declined to comment about the departure.

Chandler Parsons, a Florida signee from Winter Park, said he wasn't sure what he would do if Donovan left. Parsons and the Gators' other four signees are scheduled to enroll at Florida in less than a month.

"It does [matter]," said Parsons, who Thursday afternoon said he'd heard no official word about whether Donovan had accepted the job. "I committed to Florida, but I also committed to play for Billy Donovan. I also committed to the school, the assistant coaches and Jeremy Foley."

Assistants Larry Shyatt and Rob Lanier declined comment when reached by phone. Current Florida forward Dan Werner referred all questions to an athletic department spokesman.

Reporter Andy Staples can be reached at (352) 262-3719 or [email protected].

Tribune reporter Joey Johnston contributed to this report.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/gators/MGBFXDWVD2F.html

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
And i really doubt that billy can do anything to help out the poor magic, they need help with their players not with their coaching.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
^Party's over. Well, not for Donovan, of course.
seriously doubt it. party wasn't over after Sloan and Kruger left, and it won't be over after B-Diddle moves on to coach a losing cause. now I really despise the Magic organization. I think DeVos is a Big-Ten fan... it's their revenge.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
HOLD THE PRESSES:

AP, ESPN and FOXsports are all reportint that Donovan wants out of his contract and would like to return to the Gators. Andy Katz has just stated that it will likely happen.

·
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Donovan has second thoughts about Magic job
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Updated: June 4, 2007, 8:39 AM ET

Billy Donovan informed the Magic and the University of Florida over the weekend that he had second thoughts about agreeing to be Orlando's head coach, and the NBA team was deciding on Monday whether to let him go.

Donovan signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal on Friday, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Sunday. If the Magic do let Donovan out of the deal, they have to decide whether to enforce a financial penalty. Both sides aren't talking publicly because there are legal issues involved in such a decision.

Early Monday morning the Magic issued a statement. "While Central Florida, the Orlando Magic and Billy were energized with the announcement of his contract signing on Friday, we know there was a different feeling in Gainesville and people have been tugging at him since that time.

"Billy is conflicted with those emotions and the opportunity he has ahead in Orlando and in the NBA.

"We've had numerous conversations and a personal visit in Gainesville with Billy over the last 48 hours and we have a commitment from him that the dialogue between us will continue."

Multiple sources said the decision now rests in the hands of the Magic. Late Sunday night, the Orlando Sentinel cited a source close to the situation that reported that the Magic had decided to release Donovan. A source told ESPN.com that Magic ownership was out of the country and didn't arrive back until late Sunday night.

According to a source, Florida doesn't expect a resolution Monday unless the Magic are willing to release Donovan from his contract and as of Monday morning that wasn't the case. The Magic were still trying to convince Donovan to honor his commitment and his signed contract. The source said Donovan was expected to stay out of the public eye Monday and away from campus.

Florida won't have any announcement until the Magic and Donovan resolve the contractual issues. Until then, Florida's search for a head coach, which is centered on Anthony Grant of VCU, is on hold. Ultimately, Florida is of the belief that Donovan will return to the Gators but can't comment or make an assumption while there is an ongoing contractual issue with the Magic.

Once Donovan signed the contract, he was committed unless there is a provision allowing the party to get out of the contract within a certain period. The parties can either agree to rescind or the Magic could sue Donovan for breach of contract. But what are the damages? It is unlikely that there would be any financial damages to pursue a lawsuit.

Donovan's hiring Thursday prompted the sale of 200 Magic season tickets by Friday afternoon. Magic communications director Joel Glass confirmed that number after Friday's news conference introducing Donovan to a standing ovation from the entire on-site Magic organization at the RDV Sportsplex in Orlando. Losing Donovan as coach likely would be a public relations hit to a franchise that needed a pop.

Donovan is coming off back-to-back national titles at Florida, the first time a school has done that since Duke in 1991-92. Donovan, who turned 42 Wednesday, agonized over the decision to accept the Magic offer after first being approached last week.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley flew to Richmond, Va., on Saturday to meet with Donovan's former assistant, Grant, about the opening. But multiple sources confirmed that the plane was on the ground for less than an hour. Foley left without Grant aboard.

Over the weekend, multiple sources said that Grant was the top choice but that both he and Donovan wanted to make sure that all of their respective staffs were taken care of before any move was made.

"I have been contacted by the University of Florida regarding their coaching vacancy," Grant said in a statement on Sunday night. "I have not had any in-person contact with any Florida representative, nor have I been offered the job. At this point in time, I will have no further comment on this situation as my focus is on my responsibilities at VCU."

On Friday, Donovan was emphatic about why he ultimately made the choice. He said he wanted a new challenge and saw the proximity to his home in Gainesville and the young stars on the Magic roster, such as Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson, as well as $10-13 million in salary cap space as a primary reason for jumping at this job.

"My initial reaction was to stay," Donovan said Friday. "But then I asked myself why? And [staying] was easier. If I don't take this job, then I don't have to talk to Jeremy Foley and the players. I was going to get paid a good salary and had a good life there. I just went back and forth.

"But then I asked myself, 'What do I really want?' I do want the challenge. That's what I wanted to do in my heart."

If Donovan had a change of heart, it wouldn't be the first in college basketball.

Creighton coach Dana Altman was introduced as Arkansas' new basketball coach earlier this spring, then decided two days later to return to Creighton.

Altman's reversal was not without precedent. In 1993, Bobby Cremins accepted the South Carolina job, then reneged two days later and returned to Georgia Tech.

And in June 2006, Charleston hired Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, but Marshall told the Cougars one day later that he was returning to Winthrop.

Should the Magic part ways with Donovan, former Miami coach Stan Van Gundy would likely become the leading candidate for the Orlando vacancy. He recently turned down the Indiana Pacers coaching job but had spoken with Magic officials before Donovan's hiring.

In May, Van Gundy said he had "a great interest" in coaching Orlando next season.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2892334

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was bummed, but not surprised when Billy said he was leaving for the pro's, I had just hoped we could've kept him longer. Now the news he may stay has me absolutely giddy. Why on Earth would he leave the Gators when he's practically worshiped in G'ville? Maybe he's realized that.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
!!!

great news for the Gators. Now, the Magic just need to, um, hmm, tough one, oh, I know... revamp their entire front office and get new players... that's all.

·
Native Flaw-ridian
3,160 Posts
Donovan has second thoughts about Magic job
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Updated: June 4, 2007, 8:39 AM ET

Billy Donovan informed the Magic and the University of Florida over the weekend that he had second thoughts about agreeing to be Orlando's head coach, and the NBA team was deciding on Monday whether to let him go.

Donovan signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal on Friday, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Sunday. If the Magic do let Donovan out of the deal, they have to decide whether to enforce a financial penalty. Both sides aren't talking publicly because there are legal issues involved in such a decisi

Early Monday morning the Magic issued a statement. "While Central Florida, the Orlando Magic and Billy were energized with the announcement of his contract signing on Friday, we know there was a different feeling in Gainesville and people have been tugging at him since that time.

"Billy is conflicted with those emotions and the opportunity he has ahead in Orlando and in the NBA.

"We've had numerous conversations and a personal visit in Gainesville with Billy over the last 48 hours and we have a commitment from him that the dialogue between us will continue."

Multiple sources said the decision now rests in the hands of the Magic. Late Sunday night, the Orlando Sentinel cited a source close to the situation that reported that the Magic had decided to release Donovan. A source told ESPN.com that Magic ownership was out of the country and didn't arrive back until late Sunday night.

According to a source, Florida doesn't expect a resolution Monday unless the Magic are willing to release Donovan from his contract and as of Monday morning that wasn't the case. The Magic were still trying to convince Donovan to honor his commitment and his signed contract. The source said Donovan was expected to stay out of the public eye Monday and away from campus.

Florida won't have any announcement until the Magic and Donovan resolve the contractual issues. Until then, Florida's search for a head coach, which is centered on Anthony Grant of VCU, is on hold. Ultimately, Florida is of the belief that Donovan will return to the Gators but can't comment or make an assumption while there is an ongoing contractual issue with the Magic.

Once Donovan signed the contract, he was committed unless there is a provision allowing the party to get out of the contract within a certain period. The parties can either agree to rescind or the Magic could sue Donovan for breach of contract. But what are the damages? It is unlikely that there would be any financial damages to pursue a lawsuit.

Donovan's hiring Thursday prompted the sale of 200 Magic season tickets by Friday afternoon. Magic communications director Joel Glass confirmed that number after Friday's news conference introducing Donovan to a standing ovation from the entire on-site Magic organization at the RDV Sportsplex in Orlando. Losing Donovan as coach likely would be a public relations hit to a franchise that needed a pop.

Donovan is coming off back-to-back national titles at Florida, the first time a school has done that since Duke in 1991-92. Donovan, who turned 42 Wednesday, agonized over the decision to accept the Magic offer after first being approached last week.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley flew to Richmond, Va., on Saturday to meet with Donovan's former assistant, Grant, about the opening. But multiple sources confirmed that the plane was on the ground for less than an hour. Foley left without Grant aboard.

Over the weekend, multiple sources said that Grant was the top choice but that both he and Donovan wanted to make sure that all of their respective staffs were taken care of before any move was made.

"I have been contacted by the University of Florida regarding their coaching vacancy," Grant said in a statement on Sunday night. "I have not had any in-person contact with any Florida representative, nor have I been offered the job. At this point in time, I will have no further comment on this situation as my focus is on my responsibilities at VCU."

On Friday, Donovan was emphatic about why he ultimately made the choice. He said he wanted a new challenge and saw the proximity to his home in Gainesville and the young stars on the Magic roster, such as Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson, as well as $10-13 million in salary cap space as a primary reason for jumping at this job.

"My initial reaction was to stay," Donovan said Friday. "But then I asked myself why? And [staying] was easier. If I don't take this job, then I don't have to talk to Jeremy Foley and the players. I was going to get paid a good salary and had a good life there. I just went back and forth.

"But then I asked myself, 'What do I really want?' I do want the challenge. That's what I wanted to do in my heart."

If Donovan had a change of heart, it wouldn't be the first in college basketball.

Creighton coach Dana Altman was introduced as Arkansas' new basketball coach earlier this spring, then decided two days later to return to Creighton.

Altman's reversal was not without precedent. In 1993, Bobby Cremins accepted the South Carolina job, then reneged two days later and returned to Georgia Tech.

And in June 2006, Charleston hired Winthrop's Gregg Marshall, but Marshall told the Cougars one day later that he was returning to Winthrop.

Should the Magic part ways with Donovan, former Miami coach Stan Van Gundy would likely become the leading candidate for the Orlando vacancy. He recently turned down the Indiana Pacers coaching job but had spoken with Magic officials before Donovan's hiring.

In May, Van Gundy said he had "a great interest" in coaching Orlando next season.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2892334
Seems like Mr. Donovan is a little confused right now!!! Gators :shifty: Magic

·
10,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reports: Donovan Almost Out, Van Gundy Almost In for Magic
Posted Jun 5 2007 9:56PM

ORLANDO, Fla., June 5 (AP) -- The Orlando Magic are close to resolving their coaching fiasco by agreeing to a deal to dismiss Billy Donovan and hire Stan Van Gundy, according to reports Tuesday.

ESPN.com reported Donovan and the team were finalizing an agreement for his departure. Terms would prevent Donovan from coaching in the NBA for five years, sources told the outlet. The Orlando Sentinel reported that the Magic offered a contract to Van Gundy, a former Heat coach and current adviser to Pat Riley in Miami.

The Magic might have to compensate the Heat with money or a draft pick because Van Gundy is still under contract through June 30, 2008. Miami only has a first-round pick, No. 20 overall, in this year's draft, while Orlando currently has a first-rounder and three second-round selections.

Reached at his home Tuesday night by The Associated Press, Van Gundy declined comment when asked if either the Magic or Sacramento Kings - with whom he's interviewed twice, including this past Saturday - had made him any contract offers.

Riley was traveling and unavailable for comment, according to a Heat official.

Orlando and Donovan are laboring to finalize their futures fast - Donovan to save his consensus No. 1 recruiting class at Florida, the Magic to save face.

Donovan stunned the hoops world by agreeing to a five-year, $27.5 million deal on Thursday. He met the media on Friday, and a day later told the club he wanted out of the contract.

Donovan previously declined an offer to coach Kentucky, where his career began as an assistant.

Van Gundy was Orlando's second choice all along, but the Magic didn't think he'd be needed after Thursday. He was also being courted by the Kings, Charlotte Bobcats and Indiana Pacers. The Bobcats and Pacers have hired coaches, but the Kings' continued search worried Orlando.

Van Gundy coached the Heat just over two years before resigning last season, saying he wanted to spend more time with his family. Riley took over 21 games in and led the team to its first championship.

Copyright 2006 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited

http://www.nba.com/nba_news/donovan_vangundy_070605.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
Why on Earth would he leave the Gators when he's practically worshiped in G'ville? Maybe he's realized that.
I've never been accused of being a gator fan, but I'll have to agree - he made a good decision to stay. NBA may offer more money, but his quality of life (and his family's) will be much higher at a university where he is adored by many.

·
Thats my wife Aaliyah.
238 Posts
true, seems like a bitch move to sign the contract like he did and back out. Hell be much happier at UF.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts