SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
All Rise
16,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
though this site is likely to remain dormant for the near future, its potential is apparently not being ignored. YIMBY recently scooped these plans from 2014 which would've seen Tower 5 become a supertall.

Zombified Plans Revealed for Supertall 5 World Trade Center

Besides the height, which would put the pinnacle around 1,050 feet, the hotel lobby would include a seven-story atrium, making for a fairly dramatic base. Additionally, there would be a major retail component in the form of a department store.
The tower’s total area would measure over 1.4 million square feet, with 240 rooms over 350,000 square feet of hotel space, 200,000 square feet of retail for the department store, and about 850,000 square feet for condominiums.
[...]
While Wanda Group’s plans are unlikely to be realized due to the Chinese government’s crackdown on overseas real estate, the re-conception by Kohn Pedersen Fox is certainly a sign that the site is actively being considered for development
[...]

·
Registered
42 Posts
It might be weird to say this, but I think this is the one time that a tower on this site would benefit from a height reduction. As it is right now, it looks like it's almost exceeding 4, which I think would break from the original master plan of having the complex spiral down from 1WTC.

I dunno. At this point, I'd be fine if they just put a 7WTC clone on the footprint.

·
i ♥ NY
4,892 Posts
I wouldnt mind the height, but this design looks unfinished, the details like the base setbacks and slopng roof look clunky. I would also prefer a slimmer more elegant tower here, the shown proposal looks way too huge in regard to its width, IMO. I think its a nice concept that can be tweaked, and I am also not too focused on keeping the spiral effect forever. I assume that 125 Greenwich will already alter it, and so will a possible tower south of the W hotel on Washington street. Even 50 West already alters the spiral effect.

Edit: can someone shop 125 greenwich, 3wtc and 111 murray into the skyline rendering in post 1 please?

T

·
0 Posts
Well we all know how this is going to end up after all the downgrades, perhaps similar to the UN building?

I swear Ubisoft had something to do with the 16 acre site somewhere. Rumors they are the new anchor tenants for WTC2?

:shifty:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd really like to see 5WTC finally rise into the skyline. The only problem I have with it is the design. We already have very little space left for construction near the WTC site, and I think that a slim 40-50 storey tower similar to the Millenium Hilton would make the building look elegant. Another thing I'd like to see on the tower (Which could actually benefit and 2 WTC) would be a rooptop deck with greenery. This would add greenery to the complex, and BIG's disgusting design would not be needed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
As long as SOME building named 5WTC gets built there and connects to Liberty Park, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Two major NYC developers may join forces on 5 World Trade Center

Back in June, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (LMDC) issued a request for proposals (RFP) for 5 World Trade Center, one of the last unfinished pieces of the World Trade Center site. Now, two NYC developers may be mulling a partnership to develop the site.

According to Commercial Observer, Silverstein Properties and Brookfield Properties are considering a joint bid for the site. Both developers are big Downtown Manhattan players: Silverstein already owns many of the WTC sites, including the also-unfinished 2 World Trade Center (which has struggled to find an anchor tenant), and the already completed 3, 4, and 7 WTC. Brookfield, meanwhile, owns Brookfield Place, the massive office and shopping complex across the street from the WTC site.

The LMDC RFP, which has a September 20th deadline, calls to develop more than 1 million square feet, to be used for commercial spaces or a residential building—both of which could rise up to 900 feet. But, as we previously reported, in order to build residential space, the state would have to amend the general project plan (GPP) that governs the WTC site, which is currently zoned by the city for commercial use. (However, the GPP overrides the city’s zoning code).

Other developers considering submitting a bid include Tishman Speyer, Normandy Real Estate Partners, Vornado Realty Trust, and Durst Organization, according to the Observer. The site was previously occupied by the Deutsche Bank building, which was torn down in 2007.

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/9/4/20849009/5-world-trade-center-new-york-development

·
Registered
390 Posts
A joint Silverstein-Brookfield development would bode well for a direct connection between 5WTC and Liberty Park since the latter already connects to Brookfield Place.

Reactions: AlePa2013

·
Registered
390 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts