SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often it is the small things that can sum up a whole areas history etc... old awnings, the remains of mantles for tramlines and especially old signs of long dissappeared merchants on the sides of buildings etc.

Sometimes these are only fleeting, for instance when a shop is being refitted adn an old sign emerges from behind decades of newer ones... themselves a little piece of history.

I love the old bits of stuff you see in the docks... old lamposts, bits of odd structure and machinary, old rail wagos.. that old ticket/porters office on the PD jetty etc.

Another one is the seemingly random stretch of cobbled road... cut off, in total isolation, in the middle of nowhere, but obviously at one time was some important route somewhere.

What are your favorite 'bits' of the city? As many pics aas possible... and could someone tell me (again, sadly) how you post pics here?

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
You'll need an image hosting site to upload the pics to or if you have your own server space with pics just copy the location details from the address bar or properties and place it between

Along the dock road every now and then there's a bit of old rail exposed, makes me think of all the activity that went on down there.

Also there's a tiny street of small terraced houses just off Wavertree High Street, I don't know it's name but it's all cobbles - no tarmac in sight.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry mr-nad I can't see them pics

Thanks for the advice toad.. I will try to upload some tonight

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
- The old marble water troughs on the Dock Road.
- The cast iron water taps along the dock road and in the parks.
- The old original toilets at Canning/Salthouse Docks which were a large cast iron pipe with seats on the top and the water constantly running through the pipe to flush
- The long smooth sets in the cobbled streets that ran uphill from the Dock Rd. The width of a wagon so the wheels could roll easily uphill pulled by horses.
- The sounds of the two-stroke diesel Commer TS3 trucks as they laboured full load up Hill St from the Dock Road – what a unique sound.
- The Steam trucks as the silently and slowly rattled along Mill St from Wilson’s Mill towing trailers.
- The shrapnel holes in the buildings near Park Lane/Canning Place.
- The maze created by the demolition of the Customs House.
- The ornate Victorian lamp standards
- The gas lights in most of the Liverpool 8 streets. Ours was gas lit.
- Going on one of the last trams at Edge Lane – you could get on and off at both ends.
- The underground toilets on islands in the middle of roads.
- The big square diesel engines than ran under the overhead railway and across the Dock Road to warehouse on the other side of the road.
- The small 3 wheel Scammel articulator trucks that could turn on a sixpence.
- The rail lines on the Dock Road not having sleepers, just set in concrete.
- The beautiful white Canadian Pacific liners leaving the Pier Head with 100s on the landing stage waving and 1000s on the ship waving back.
- The ornate cast-iron leaning post at the Two Lions pub for men to lean on, on the corner of Northumberland St/Mil St.
- The octagonal post box in Northumberland St.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the one, thanks mr-nad... it sums up all sorts of associations, with the liners, with mass emigration, when the city was a thriving metropolis... all in a little fucking wooden hut

Pics, pics and more pics everyone?

Not so much nostalgia of things that have gone.. but rather things that remain, remnants that may bring back those memories... things you can see now... excellent post John, but most of those things do not exist any more, unless there are one or two old lamps still knocking round?

Are the troughs and pipes still there too?

·
★★★
12,611 Posts
I'm in a giving, loving, kind of mood today..... took em in glorious sunsheeeine last June.

·
Banned
8,209 Posts
Toadboy said:
Also there's a tiny street of small terraced houses just off Wavertree High Street, I don't know it's name but it's all cobbles - no tarmac in sight.
I think I know where you're talking about. I used to walk past it often on the way to school.

Prince Alfred Road, running along the edge of the Mystery has a lot of nice buildings. I always enjoyed walking up there.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent pics there Chris.

There are some old lamps just inside the dock walls along Princes Dock where the lamp is suspended from a hoop... really evocative!

there is also the remains of a road made with wooden sets that now forms part of a car park up in holy cross!

·
Banned
1,293 Posts
Tony Sebo said:
Excellent pics there Chris.

There are some old lamps just inside the dock walls along Princes Dock where the lamp is suspended from a hoop... really evocative!

there is also the remains of a road made with wooden sets that now forms part of a car park up in holy cross!
Harrington St had wooden sets right into the 1970s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts