Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago Spire looks about ready to break ground. Numerous high profile projects are planned or underconstruction in the downtown area. High end condos are attracting out of towners for second homes.

Downtown Chicago is achieving a critical mass that only Manhattan currently knows.

How will these changes alter the nature of "Whose Chicago is it?" For all our city's power and greatness, we are still less of a "shared environment" that cities like NY, LA, DC are. Chicagoans still call the shots in Chicago and being here, frankly, has never been as essential for outsiders as being in NY, LA, DC, even Miami.

Will this change? Will the concentration of goodies and the critical mass that encapsulates them in downtown Chicago make this more of a place where "outsiders" become insiders and out-of-towners are an integral part of the mix? Are we in the process of making Chicago a necessary and continual destination along the lines of NY, LA, DC???

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know edsg. I sure hope more outsiders are attracted to the city and make it there first or second home and, I hope those potential new residents come from outside the midwest. I believe new blood brings new perspectives which transforms places. I am not saying this doesn't already exist but, a little more of this could be a great benefit to the city. Hopefully more of those newcomers will move to the south and westsides and bring new ideas.

·
Registered
328 Posts
at any point did i suggest that was a negative? or that i wouldn't agree with you on that point (i do)
I'm not suggesting that that you viewed it as a negative. I apoligize for the confusion. I was only wondering about how many out of state people were really moving into the city and, what were their original points of destination (are most from the midwest, what percentage are from different regions of the country or different countries).

·
Registered
717 Posts
well, i've cleaned up this thread a bit.
That is exactly what my carefully reasoned and moderately toned response post to Urban accomplished. It was a positive post intended to defend by clarifying edgs' speculative thread. Perhaps you could forward to him? Thanks

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
hey edsg what line of work are you in? You really should (if you haven't) consider getting into urban journalism. Your threads are super interesting to read and participate in, and I definitely think you could establish yourself in the Chicago newspaper system.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edsg is a professional lawn-mower. I even posted his pic on this site a couple of months ago... ;)
thanks for stiffing me on mowing the acres of crab grass, asshole. i have blisters on my hands, feet, and from falling over those old tires, rusty nails, abandoned refrigerators you've got scattered about and making me fall, on my ass, too. My lawyer will be in touch.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey edsg what line of work are you in? You really should (if you haven't) consider getting into urban journalism. Your threads are super interesting to read and participate in, and I definitely think you could establish yourself in the Chicago newspaper system.
thanks, zach. taught all my life. always loved the english language.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts