Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight I drove around downtown to check out the nightlife and activity in the different areas of town. I also tried to compare the overall nighttime atmosphere, urbanity, and number of skyscrapers in each area, to see whether the area north of the river (Central business district) or the Brickell area south of the river is nicer overall in terms of nightlife. I know that overall downtown doesn't compare to South Beach in that category, but it's nice to see downtown making a comeback and actually having a busy city core on nights and weekends. It's a vital part of a world-class city to have a great atmosphere and nightlife in the downtown area.

I have to start by saying Brickell wins the prize for best section of downtown. Driving down Brickell Ave. at night is simply amazing, with all of the lit-up skyscrapers everywhere you look, all the activity, and shear size and number of the buildings. It seemed as if most of the restaurants/shops were open (which they should be on a Saturday night), there were lots of pedestrians, and a nice urban atmosphere. Also, the space is utilized much better than most of the CBD, as almost all of the buildings are pretty tall and there is a good mix of retail/offices/residential units. Most importantly, the area was "open for business" on a Saturday night.

Now, let's take the area north of the river: Biscayne Boulevard is great. There is a good amount of activity and nightlife around Bayside and the Biscayne corridor, even extending as far west as NE 2nd Avenue. There are some tall skyscrapers in the area, there is a good mix of retail, condos, and offices, and most importantly the area was crowded and "open", signs of nightlife. Going down Flagler Street west of NE 2nd Avenue, it gets slightly worse, but it's still a nice area. The shops need to stay open later, as it would bring more pedestrians and nightlife into the area. More than 3/4 of the shops and restaurants were closed around 9 PM. The area along that corridor was still relatively busy, with lots of nice urban density. There are offices, tall buildings, shops, and restaurants, and overall, the area south of NE/NW 2nd Street in the CBD is very nice and urban, and the nightlife is only getting better as time passes. North of Bayside, and east of NE 1st Avenue, things are okay, with a fair share of pedestrians and skyscrapers, and considering it's not in the very heart of the city, it's acceptable in terms of nightlife. West of Miami Avenue and south of NW 3rd Street was also acceptable, considering it's not in the middle of things. The buildings are still nice, and it's an urban environment and not run-down.
Last and certainly least, I must condemn Park West. Something must be done in a hurry to make it better. Here's what I'm talking about: west of NE 1st Avenue, east of I-95, north of NE/NW 5th or 6th Street, and south of I-395. There are hardly any new buildings, only a couple of them high-rises, and the area was nearly a ghost town. All of the retail buildings and warehouses were all boarded up with hurricane shutters, and you could literally count hundreds of homeless people throughout the area descending on Camillus House. I can't wait for it to move to the new location in Overtown (west of I-95 and north of I-395), because Park West will only get better and blend in to downtown after that move. I have nothing against the homeless, but they should not be encouraged to live in a neighborhood that is so close to downtown (and by Camillus House being there, that's their best option is to live in Park West). I understand that part of that area is Southeast Overtown, which is historically a run-down area, but with all of the great nightlife going on only a few minutes south of there, it's disappointing to see such a deserted, run-down neighborhood so close to downtown Miami. There are many vacant lots in the area, and nearly all of the buildings west of Miami Avenue are less than 10 floors in height. I hope projects like Logik Tower can revitalize this area. I'm not even sure if this area is even considered part of downtown Miami, but IMO it shouldn't be. It's so different from the rest of downtown and it's not just Overtown, parts of the northwestern CBD along Miami Avenue north of NE 2nd Street are also run-down and boarded up at night.

All that being said, overall I'm impressed with downtown's emerging nightlife. Brickell (south of the river) and the area near Biscayne are the best, followed by the Flagler Street corridor. As for Park West, when do you all think it will get better? Ten Museum Park/Marinablue/Marquis/900 Biscayne are all too far east to affect this area. That area over there by Biscayne is fine, it's just the area west of NE 1st Avenue. Logik Tower is the only project in that area that I know of at the present time.

·
Biscayne Corridor Realtor
930 Posts
a gigantic gaping hole

I'm shocked and amazed that such a lengthy detailed report on downtown nightlife would omit the single biggest source of new nightlife activity in downtown. Ever heard of a little place called Club Space? There's like 5 big happening night clubs in like a 2 block radius ALL IN PARK WEST along 11th street all way north of the streets you mentioned (Nocturnal, Studio A and others... there's also a new one opening behind marina blue and I/O lounge in the scarier looking area north of 836 west maybe you need to take another drive and this time don't be afraid to lower the windows or god forbid get out of the car. I noticed you mentioned 9pm maybe that's why you missed all the lines... those clubs don't really open till 11 and no one cool ever shows until like 1am or later. Also neglected to mention the newest happening things in brickell, Bricks nightclub and flannigan's river. Something tells me you're really not that familiar with downtown at night.

Welcome to a new downtown start your journey here www.clubspace.com

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yea club space is always crazy but things dont start getting crazy untill atleast 12. Park west is still a work in progress and thiers alot of homeless people thier but in a couple of years im pretty sure the nightlife thier could even start rivaling the stuff that goes on in south beach.

·
930 Posts
DT vs SB

I would say it's not going to take that long. Club Space was voted number one in the nation I dont think Mansion has ever had that distinction, also I think Space is bigger than anything on sobe. Also downtown clubs are in a tight cluster and also stay open later than sobe ones so even tho they are still less known by tourists local people are beginning to adopt a new paradigm that downtown nightlife is cooler because it's a newer more gritty and raw scene and more underground. After a night of rolling they don't have to leave at 5am like in sobe they can stay for the afterhours and come down of whatever drugs they are on the next morning never having to see the sunlight.

Studio A, Metropolis, Nocturnal, Club Space, Allure... it's a pretty respectable growing list

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to check out that area later at night.....tonight I was not actually going clubbing or even trying to spend time in the area, just thought I'd check out what's going on because I was driving through downtown.

When I was talking about Park West, it was really the area south of 11th street and west of NE 1st avenue that I was referring to. The area around Marinablue, Ten Museum, etc. were pretty good. I'll also need to visit the area at a better time to get a better picture of the nightlife. It was very early, so things are probably much different around Park West later at night.

That being said, yes I've heard of Club Space (haven't been there though) and the area of nightlife in the northeastern Park West area. That doesn't create an excuse though for the area south and west of that. That area near 11th street is only a small portion of the entire Park West neighborhood.

·
930 Posts
ok fine

but it was a big omission on your initial report at least give me that and it IS west of ne 1st

sorry to be picky I'm just being retarded

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have mentioned it and the other clubs in the Media/Entertainment district in my initial report. I can't really judge the area well from what I saw then, I'll have to go later to get an accurate report.

and the address is 34 NE 11th street, so it's about a half block west of NE 1st Ave.

·
930 Posts
nightlife

if you go to the Space website and go to galleries and click through you will eventually see pics of the big lines out on the sidewalks and also get a good apreciation for how massive the space is both inside and massive outdoor concert area

·
930 Posts
duh

yup I forgot the pawn show right on the west side of NE 2 just north of 836 (diagonally across the pac) To the untrained eye it still looks like a shitty unimproved old pawn shop, but it's actually a big hapenning club. The downtown nightlife resurgence era is here!

thanks for reminding me

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
if you go to the Space website and go to galleries and click through you will eventually see pics of the big lines out on the sidewalks and also get a good apreciation for how massive the space is both inside and massive outdoor concert area
I worked at Space and the doors open at 10 PM, crowd begins to arrive in droves at around Midnight. The Park West Entertainment District as it is called has a 24 Hour liquor license. Space has a roof-top patio that usually closes around 2 in the afternoon. On a typical night anywhere between 1500 to 3000 people walk through it's door. Space has been around for seven years now and showing no signs of closing anytime soon. It is constantly changing and evolving.

This is from this past Memorial Day weekend.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, this user is a weirdo....but anyways, that area of Park West is getting better as far as crime is concerned. Downtown itself and Brickell are still much safer and this area sometimes has an occasional crime problem, but I don't think Club Space or any other club in the Entertainment district has a problem with crime. A few blocks away in Overtown, it may be a different story, but that close to the Biscayne Wall it's not as bad, it better not be bad with all the new residents slated to move into those condos in the next year.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow, this user is a weirdo....but anyways, that area of Park West is getting better as far as crime is concerned. Downtown itself and Brickell are still much safer and this area sometimes has an occasional crime problem, but I don't think Club Space or any other club in the Entertainment district has a problem with crime. A few blocks away in Overtown, it may be a different story, but that close to the Biscayne Wall it's not as bad, it better not be bad with all the new residents slated to move into those condos in the next year.....
Who's a weirdo?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
He was talking about someone else, but that guys post got deleted so it looks like hes talking to you but hes not:lol:
Oh OK I thought he was talking to me. Yeah that Muldoon is trouble. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think the original post was exploring areas that might become the next Lincoln Road, Ocean Drive, Michigan Ave (chicago), Ybor City (tampa), Fifth Avenue (NYC), etc. Until Downtown gets one of these types of areas, its never going to be world class area for nightlife and activity.

The nightclubs are cool, but are dormant and spur no activity during daylight areas. More outdoor restaurants and high end retail will do much more for downtown than a club. It needs a mixture of both, but everything is so fragmented and still has a aura of being unsafe (which is still warranted in my opinion).

·
Banned
73 Posts
Park West and most of the CBD has that aura of "being unsafe", but I don't think Brickell or the southern central business district is thought of as unsafe, and it's not unsafe either. Park west is a bit dangerous though especially at night.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts