SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to Detroit again during the final weekend of 2012 to catch some college hockey at the Joe Louis Arena (since the NHL was in a lockout and I feel I needed my fix of hockey in Detroit) on the Saturday and Sunday, stayed downtown for the weekend and took in the sights of downtown and Campus Martius Park on the Saturday and went ice skating as well. Downtown Detroit this holiday season, IMO, enjoyed its finest days in a long time, downtown was all decorated up like I had never seen before, seeing all the people at Campus Martius Park that night around downtown was astonishing! Without further ado, here are my pics from that weekend. Note: these were taken with a BlackBerry Torch phone, not my camera. ;)

Looking north on Woodward, towards Campus Martius Park


Large Salvation Army Kettle in Campus Martius Park, with One Kennedy Square behind it




Large Christmas Tree, beautifully decorated, sitting on top of the Campus Martius fountain




Woodward Avenue, storefronts lit up and decorated beautifully!






In the rink @ Campus Martius Park...














The heart of the Motor City hasn't been decorated this nicely and lit up this brightly in a long time!






Looking out at the Renaissance Center from my room @ the Courtyard Marriott


Greektown


Joe Louis Arena


Just a few shots from the games...

First was third place between Michigan State and Michigan. Michigan won 5-2.






Championship Game between Western Michigan and Michigan Tech. Tech won the Great Lakes Invitational Championship 4-0!









Michigan Tech wins the 2012 Great Lakes Invitational Championship, first time winning it since 1980!











Hope you enjoyed the tour!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Sorry if i caused any offence but it's just the image you get from all the empty buildings and empty inner suburbs with hardly any houses left and the dramatic drop in population over the years. But i do think the city has some beautiful architecture in the downtown area :) "i wish detroit a brighter future"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,687 Posts
Uh, none of the inner-suburbs are empty. You might be referring to the inner-ring neighborhoods, but the suburbs are all relatively well-off compared to the city.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Sorry if i caused any offence but it's just the image you get from all the empty buildings and empty inner suburbs with hardly any houses left and the dramatic drop in population over the years. But i do think the city has some beautiful architecture in the downtown area :) "i wish detroit a brighter future"
that's the problem with most people....experience Detroit for yourself instead of relying on some youtube video some idiot posted smh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,687 Posts
Relative to the city, all of the inner-ring suburbs are doing just fine. Relative to other Midwestern neighborhoods/suburbs of the same era (1920's-1950's), most would hold there own. There is no large-scale abandonment. There are still plenty of jobs and retail. Crime tends to be at or lower than the national average. Most school districts do a fairly good job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great photo's "just a shame the rest of the city is falling apart" :(
I wouldn't say the entire rest of the city is falling apart. I would say relatively speaking, maybe 60% could be considered that. While the other 40% including downtown, midtown, and most of Detroit's nicer neighborhoods are doing okay. But, yes, a lot of the inner ring neighborhoods are in bad shape. Inner suburbs other than Highland Park, which is in really bad shape and Hamtramck, not so sure. Went to Dearborn in September last year, looked ok to me. But I really don't travel to the suburbs often.

But I agree with iamdetroit, don't let the youtube videos or the media's negative portrayal of the city drive you away. If you come in with an open mind, do some research and understand why the city is in the shape it's in, and pretty much treat like any other big city anybody can have a great time here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,687 Posts
Hamtramck and Highland Park aren't inner-ring suburbs. The inner-ring suburbs are:

The Grosse Pointes, Dearborn, Redford TWP, Warren, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Eastpointe, St. Clair Shores, Allen Park, Lincoln Park, etc.
 

·
The Tropics of Canada
Joined
·
5,054 Posts
A better name for this is needed as the name : Down town Detroit is very deceptive.
Ice skating in Detroit is a more appropriate name.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top