Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what midwest cities have the most downtown hotel rooms (besides Chi-town of course) or where you can find this info?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
OKC definitely has one of the fastest growing numbers, seeing as we've doubled our count in the last five years, and we have a hotel that will be 1/4 of the whole count when finished in discussions right now -- expect an announcement in the OKC thread on that towards the end of the year, and it will be built with the new convention center.

There's...

a Holiday Inn in the Arts District
a Sheraton across from the Cox Center
a Renaissance across from the Sheraton
a Courtyard by Marriott across from the Ford Center (recent)
a Colcord Hotel (boutique) across from the Myriad Gardens (recent)
a Hilton Skirvin in the heart of downtown (recent, + a flagship Hilton)
a Residence Inn on Reno in Bricktown (recent)
a Hampton Inn u/c right now across from the Bricktown Ballparl (obviously recent)
an Embassy Suites soon to be u/c on Reno in Bricktown (recent)
a Mercy Park (boutique) to be u/c soon in MidTown

And coming soon, an announcement involving a Headquarters Hotel with 800-1,000 rooms.

The idea is that a city's convention industry is only as good as its downtown hotel count. You can have a 500,000 SF convention center in a city the size of Des Moines or Wichita if you have a CONNECTED hotel with 1,000 rooms and a few smaller hotels around. This is the concept of a Headquarters Hotel. In the CVB business it is hard to do anything without one because large conventions will not consider splitting their convention up between multiple hotels (too much risk) and a hotel is only willing to reserve up to 80% of their rooms in advance for a convention.

If I were to make a blind guess the city I would guess to have the best downtown hotel count, aside from Chicago obviously, would be Indianapolis or St. Louis.

Indianapolis is the best convention city among mid-size cities in the nation. Cities in the 2nd tier that want to learn how to grow their convention economy could stand to learn a whole lot from Indy. That's why myself and some people in the OKC C of C and CVB took a day trip to Indy and meet with their city officials, and pretend to be convention-goers in that city. We were very impressed with the general layout of things.

Indy's downtown has...

Columbia Club
Conrad Indianapolis
Courtyard by Marriott
Crowne Plaza
Embassy Suites
Hilton Garden Inn
Hilton Indianapolis
Homewood Suites
Hyatt Regency
Indianapolis Marriott
Omni Severin Hotel
Radisson Hotel City Centre
University Place-IUPUI

Just a guess, though.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
WELL. I had a nagging suspicion St. Louis might actually have more than Indy even though the only way I'm familiar with their convention industry is that they're America's Center is the largest convention center between Dallas and Chicago.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sorry, Indy. I know Indy likes to think it is the conventional capitol of the Midwest and perhaps if you make a ratio of hotel rooms to population you would be, but there are larger cities and larger cities equate to more hotel rooms and larger convention space.

Saint Louis is underrated for conferences.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sorry, Indy. I know Indy likes to think it is the conventional capitol of the Midwest and perhaps if you make a ratio of hotel rooms to population you would be, but there are larger cities and larger cities equate to more hotel rooms and larger convention space.

dude whats shoved up ur ass?
If you consider the amount of conventions in Indianapolis, yes we are one of the tops, and defianitly above STL in conventions, once the convention expansion is complete, then Indy will jump to being #10 on convention space. To say Indianapolis is not one of the top(if not the top) midwestern convention city, is like saying STL lacks brick, or Detriot has no auto industrial history.

·
Registered
551 Posts

It's not that Indy thinks it's the convention capital of the Midwest, it's just that Indy's downtown has grown significantly primarily because of the booming convention industry. With a new expansion online that will push the city to #10 in terms of space and a huge influx of new hotel rooms, people in Indianapolis can't help but be proud of how they are growing as a large national convention destination. People still know that Chicago trumps all, but they do know that Indy's future in the convention industry is by no means bleak.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
^^Agreed.
Whosville said:
...I know Indy likes to think it is the conventional capitol of the Midwest and perhaps if you make a ratio of hotel rooms to population you would be, but there are larger cities and larger cities equate to more hotel rooms and larger convention space.
Please don't put words in anyone's mouth. Absolutely NO ONE said that Indy was the convention capital of the Midwest outside of Chicago, and I seriously doubt anyone thought that either.

However, leaping into America's top ten convention cities is certainly nothing to sneeze at either and it is virtually expected for a city like Indy.

That said, can we PLEASE not turn this into a pissing match?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
BACK ON TOPIC
what are the numbers of hotel construciton in all midwestern cities?
It seems like there is a wave of hotel constructions going on throughout the region. =)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
does St Louis have a 5 star quality hotel?

Indy does and was Conrads 1st hotel in the US to be built from the ground up
St. Louis has a Westin downtown and Ritz Carlton in Clayton. A Four Seasons is under construction and set to open in November. I'm not if Indy has any of these.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts