1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! We got ourselves an exciting new project! :banana: :cheers:

First Look at the 70-Story Tower Planned at 11th & Hill
Proposed high-rise development is inspired by the California Redwoods

FEBRUARY 07, 2019, 12:55PM STEVEN SHARP

A proposed high-rise development in Downtown's booming South Park neighborhood takes inspiration from California's famed Redwood trees.

The project, the first in Los Angeles by the Australian developer Crown Group, would replace a mid-century warehouse at the southwest corner of 11th and Hill Streets. Plans filed last year had called for razing the industrial building to make way for a 52-story edifice containing 528 residential units with ground-floor commercial space.

A revised plan, first reported by the Australian website CommercialRealEstate.com, calls for a larger 70-story edifice designed by Sydney-based Koichi Takada Architects. It is described as featuring multiple "trunks - like tall trees growing," and would incorporate natural building materials - including timber. A rendering portrays the project from the east as featuring two masses, rising toward sloping roof lines capped with trees.

The tower would greet the corner of 11th and Hill with an undulating canopy, a reference to the blowing skirt of actress Marilyn Monroe in the film The Seven Year Itch.
https://urbanize.la/post/first-look-70-story-tower-planned-11th-hill (emphasis mine)

OK, yeah I see it! :lol:

·
Registered
18,451 Posts

·
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it looks like Curbed has come out with a new render from the developer:

See renderings for 63-story skyscraper pitched for South Park

This render came straight from the Dept of City Planning going off the article, so this may be more accurate. Honestly I don't know which one I like! I prefer the previous design for its interesting asymmetry, however this version will cut a stronger and more elegant profile in the LA skyline. Either way, let's get this one built! :cheers:

·
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick add-on, looking at the Curbed article the base will remain the same in either version of the tower apparently :cheers::

·
Registered
759 Posts
So it looks like Curbed has come out with a new render from the developer:

See renderings for 63-story skyscraper pitched for South Park

This render came straight from the Dept of City Planning going off the article, so this may be more accurate. Honestly I don't know which one I like! I prefer the previous design for its interesting asymmetry, however this version will cut a stronger and more elegant profile in the LA skyline. Either way, let's get this one built! :cheers:
That shorter tower bothered me so think I like this better. I am curious though what the other side looks like as that can't be very interesting at all given the angle of the tops of these two.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
I'm with aqua: I like the asymmetry but the other has more strength.

Ii it just me or is the second a tad on the phallic side?

Uh.....probably just me. :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I vote new version. Simpler, in a less is more sort of way. Should interact well with the future neighbors without screaming "look at me!" and detracting from the cluster.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
Oh!:bash: you have added yet another account so you can talk to yourself even more!
Yes, it would be funny if he weren't so desperately lonely and angry. The main reason for the new account is the others are almost 100 percent blocked so no one sees them any more.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
What's with all the unfamiliar pricks?
It is someone named "dirt patch" who posts mostly in San Jose but all around and uses various aliases; at least 4 that I know of. He's easy to spot because he is barely literate in English and apparently is mentally ill since he asserts bizarre conspiracy theories re builders, the tech industry, politicians, etc., intended to keep San Jose from being a great city.

He is largely blocked in SJ so now he wanders to LA and other threads with a pure troll attitude of informing the thread of local bad news and then declaiming on what a sh#thole that city is compared to SJ.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts