SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DTLA's Parker Center Will Likely Fall, Be Replaced by Tower

The 60-year-old, Welton Beckett-designed Parker Center, which housed the LAPD until it moved to new digs in 2009, should be knocked down and replaced with a 27-story tower that consolidates city offices, according to a report from the City Department of Public Works and the Bureau of Engineering and reported in Downtown News. The departments will present the $475 million plan—currently without renderings or an architect—to the City Council this summer. The tower would bring together departments like General Services and Personnel. On a less bureaucratic note, the building would also have street-facing retail, something desperately-needed for this moribund stretch of the Civic Center. The plan calls for an enclosed pedestrian bridge connecting the building to City Hall East, along with a courtyard linking Los Angeles and Judge John Aiso Streets and, in effect, the Civic Center and Little Tokyo. If the council approves, work would start in 2016 and wrap two years later.

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
$475M.

Does DT really need another civic building, empty except from 9:00 to 4:00? Why not explore converting it to housing (or build a new residential building) which DT needs, and move the govt. employees to something near a Blue Line stop? These are back-office functions (general services, personnel) and don't need to take up valuable space DT.

Hope that this gets quickly shot-down; fortunately not much thought has gone into architects, renderings, etc., so far.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Why the Blue Line??? If this building is in the Civic Center then the workers will be near the Red Line's Civic Center stop. Unless this is a thinly veiled allusion of your adolescent-like hate of all things gubment.

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
Why the Blue Line??? If this building is in the Civic Center then the workers will be near the Red Line's Civic Center stop. Unless this is a thinly veiled allusion of your adolescent-like hate of all things gubment.
Since when do adolescents dislike governments for being inefficient or poorly managed? I can see the immature or powerless teenager wanting to take over the government and using it to force other people to do what he wants. This would relieve the feeling of powerlessness that many young people have. But I doubt this sort of fantasy would run to improving administration, fiscal responsibility, fixing potholes, etc.

Back on point, there has been concern that transit nodes have not developed around Blue Line stops. Moving these employees to a government services center at one of these strikes me as both making government more efficient (cheaper land, less traffic congestion, closer to affordable housing) and allowing a transit village (work, housing, retail) to develop.

And, of course, the idea of getting additional housing DT has been a very frequently discussed issue here for some time.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Back on point, there has been concern that transit nodes have not developed around Blue Line stops. Moving these employees to a government services center at one of these strikes me as both making government more efficient (cheaper land, less traffic congestion, closer to affordable housing) and allowing a transit village (work, housing, retail) to develop.
You don't care about the Blue Line. You just want to hold it up as some sort of government failure because you're obsessed with purposefully drawing attention to your perception of government failure and then riding it until its legs break. See: Crenshaw Line.
Redistributing the Civic Center around various Blue Line stops? Really "pest"? And you don't think that sounds adolescent?

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
You don't care about the Blue Line. You just want to hold it up as some sort of government failure because you're obsessed with purposefully drawing attention to your perception of government failure and then riding it until its legs break. See: Crenshaw Line.
Redistributing the Civic Center around various Blue Line stops? Really "pest"? And you don't think that sounds adolescent?
I am a big fan of the Blue Line, I don't view it as a government failure and agree it was a priority to build. The first point of transit is to carry people and this the Blue Line does. I have stated that consistently.

But it doesn't have TOD around it and it would be even more of a success if it did. It doesn't look like the market is going to supply it, since growth is slow in LA and there is greater demand in other areas (say, Expo, Red, Purple).

Since the city wants to save money, make more room for housing available DT and get office and housing around transit stops, why not move jobs to one of the Blue Line (or if you prefer, Gold or Crenshaw) stops? The market may bring housing and retail to complement it (or the city can use incentives if it is a high enough priority). Vernon, Slauson, Florence, Firestone, etc., or on Crenshaw, etc.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Zoned industrial probably doesn't help most of the line.

·
Registered
17,224 Posts
Zoned industrial probably doesn't help most of the line.
Well, I'm going to guess that changing zoning is harder than I could ever believe, but I'm sure the city can do it. There has to be some stop where there is enough blight to remove the empty industrial and put in office.

If not, how about Hindry on the Crenshaw Line? It's a relatively small, largely empty industrial area adjacent to housing and retail. This is still a relatively low demand area compared to most of the west side.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Along much of the Blue Line is a freight line and a mile adjacent of it is the Alameda Freight Expressway. The line was clearly thought to be only a commuter line linking LBC and Downtown LA.

But assuming that you don't ride it much, I'm happy to report that the Compton stop other than its two start and end points is looking very promising. A new TOD and a large C-O-M-P-T-O-N sign welcoming passengers into the city has been erected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts