Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 261 Posts

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
yoyoniner said:
Is this a joke?

Do you really think if you live 50 miles from New York City you are still in the city?

What you see in those numbers is that NYC blows LA out of the water, it's not even close really, UNTIL you drive 50 miles away from center city, in which you aren't even near the city anymore and are way out in the suburbs! So LA's far flung suburbs are more dense than New York City's, and NYC as a city is several times more dense than Los Angeles. That's the only way you can interpret those numbers.

Chicago is also a clearly denser city when you look at those numbers. Metro Chicago is more dense until you drive 30 freaking miles away from center city! And I can tell you with certainty that if you are 30 miles from center city, you are NOT in the city of Chicago any longer and you are in good ole suburbia.
These two cities can't really be compared justifiably. The very DNA of a Chicago and LA are fundamentally different. Chicago and the eastern cities were formed during the "horse and buggy" days. While LA and the western cities(w/ the exception of SF) were built and came to life mostly during the auto-centric revolution. But what is truly surprising to me is how LA hold s that kind of density for 50 miles flat. And I wasn't quite aware at how close LA's inner core was to Chicago's. LA is a potential density monster! It really has to work on its infrastructure NOW if any of us are going to want to live here in the next 25 years.

·
Registered
139 Posts
klamedia said:
But what is truly surprising to me is how LA hold s that kind of density for 50 miles flat.
???
Have you not read any previous posts? Why do people not see how worthless these numbers are?

And is having a lack of undeveloped greenbelts really something to be proud of?

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
ChiGeo wouldn't you bet that the Metro area of LA at the rate that it is growing will catch up with NY's metro area in a few decades? It will surely take another 100 years for LA to reach NY's inner core density(if ever) but does LA even want that much density? And good point, density is nothing without adequate infrastructure and a healthy standard of living. Some of the developing countries have densities that will blow NYC out of the water, but would you want to live there?

I always felt that Chicago was a very livable city. To me, it is big enough, I really wouldn't want to see it get too much larger. If I were to "settle" down and adopt some kids or something I would really think about Chicago. I always thought that the "2nd city" status was a sly way of Chicago bowing out of the doomed race of clamoring to be #1. It never struck me as really having the will or want to compete with LA or NYC in their drive to be the greatest city in the land b.s. So I'm always a little put off when it seems that Chicago forumers are trying to throw themselves back into that useless competition. I like Chicago as ambivalent

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Yakumoto said:
???
Have you not read any previous posts? Why do people not see how worthless these numbers are?

And is having a lack of undeveloped greenbelts really something to be proud of?
Yaku they are just numbers, I know.?!? I wasn't getting bent out of shape about the #s. I like this kind of stuff, for whatever it is worth. I don't understand why people like Yoyo have to make this a goddam competition everytime. Or maybe I do understand. So please fucking stop!

·
The City
5,935 Posts
klamedia said:
If I were to "settle" down and adopt some kids or something I would really think about Chicago. I always thought that the "2nd city" status was a sly way of Chicago bowing out of the doomed race of clamoring to be #1. It never struck me as really having the will or want to compete with LA or NYC in their drive to be the greatest city in the land b.s. So I'm always a little put off when it seems that Chicago forumers are trying to throw themselves back into that useless competition. I like Chicago as ambivalent
^Oh, that's so much crap I don't even know where to begin.

GET OVER IT, dude. LA is nowhere near having that distinction, and no Chicagoans consider their city "bowed out" from the mighty LA. Sorry, only NYC gets that honor. LA is leagues and leagues away. It is outright silly and ludicrous that you LA people keep thinking you are somehow remotely equal to NYC in ANYTHING but media and pop entertainment. And when it comes to finance, business & corporate services, urban environment, etc Chicago leaves your city in the dust.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Oh the competitiveness!!! For whatever it is worth.....
Members of my personal family (including myself) who have left Illinois and moved to southern CA......>20. Members of my personal family who have left Southern Ca.....3.
(Not counting those who have moved out of LA and returned.)
Members of my personal family that have moved to Chicago.....0. I do have two cousins who attended school in the SF Bay area and who have moved back to Chicago and who seem reasonably happy.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
why do these Chicago posters have such a chip on their shoulders. if Chicago cant beat LA in something, then its automatically NY is better in it. Get over it. We Live in LA for a reason, WE think its better than any place on earth. NYC is cool, Chicago is Cool, but its not LA and thats why we dont live there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
LosAngelesSportsFan said:
why do these Chicago posters have such a chip on their shoulders.
It's a pretty big chip. It's very telling that so many chicago forumers are so active in the LA forum while so few LA forumers are active in the chicago forums. That was the first thing I noticed when I first visited this board, and I've always thought it was so strange.

·
Registered
514 Posts
savvysearch said:
It's a pretty big chip. It's very telling that so many chicago forumers are so active in the LA forum while so few LA forumers are active in the chicago forums. That was the first thing I noticed when I first visited this board, and I've always thought it was so strange.
Yeah active being trolls for the most part. If they were really that interested in LA then how come they don't make positive comments of the photo threads?

Really I don't need the question answered because their action already provides the answer. This is suppose to be a place where cities are celebrated, and not put down for their differences. It just goes to show what their true intentions are. Yet they try and turn the tables as if most LA Forumers are the villians to justify their trolling.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Why so many Chicagoans, in the LA threads????

^^ Gee, have you seen their topics????
3 out of 5 are duds!!!!!

That could be a really good reason..... Or in reality they rather live in the LA area and they are perpetrating the complete opposite. So they want to learn how to be an Angelino, so when they move here they'll know how fit in!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Gee, have you seen their topics????
3 out of 5 are duds!!!!!

i wouldn't talk 4 out 5 la topics are duds

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i really dont get u guys,you complain about la not getting support,im here reading a topic looking at some la projects ,so i was reading this thread and saw a post which i thought was quite biased and incorreect and decided to comment on it,is that not what this forum is for,can i not post here,i didn't say anything bad i was just stating the obvious..

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
ChrisLA said:
So why are you here? Explain please I like to know.
Yeah, I can't understand that one dude from Miami is coming to our forum for no reason and want involving with Chicgoans to argue with us.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
wtf is it with you guys,guess what if you dont want me in here i wont come in here although its a public board i really dont feel like dealing with this shit. this forum sucks anyways.

Boycott the la forum

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I think most Chicagoans are here for SILVERLAKE's celebrity reports of the week. I gotta say I enjoy them. ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
wtf is it with you guys,guess what if you dont want me in here i wont come in here although its a public board i really dont feel like dealing with this shit. this forum sucks anyways.

Boycott the la forum
Go ahead, I rather it not be that active than have a bunch of trolls running rampant around here. It gets rather old after a while, and you expect us to be like oh thank you for coming in and adding your negative comments. Give me a break, thats not the kind of support we need. Also I don't think I recall anyone complaining about LA getting any support. I questioned their motives, and if they are truly that interested in LA, well we would see it all across the board such as photos threads.

If you're really that interested in LA, I say add something positive and you'll get a better response. I sometimes go to other local forums to see whats happening, yet when I comment it isn't putting that city down or its forumers.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
Well his name says it all "HATTER" what positive response are we trying to squeeze out of him!!!!!

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:

Boycott the la forum
Nah, You doesn't know about all everything and Silverlake's issue in LA forum, You don't live in LA then you just coming here to start attack with us. I have said that you can't boycott the LA forum for no reason so none of your business.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
The Urban Politician said:
^Oh, that's so much crap I don't even know where to begin.

GET OVER IT, dude. LA is nowhere near having that distinction, and no Chicagoans consider their city "bowed out" from the mighty LA. Sorry, only NYC gets that honor. LA is leagues and leagues away. It is outright silly and ludicrous that you LA people keep thinking you are somehow remotely equal to NYC in ANYTHING but media and pop entertainment. And when it comes to finance, business & corporate services, urban environment, etc Chicago leaves your city in the dust.
And this is coming from I'm assuming a 9th grader who doesn't live or has no plans of living in Chicago, with his/her "bound for NY" tag. Both LA and Chicago are considered second tier Alpha cities along with Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Singapore and Milan.
What is most astonishing is that it took LA under 100 years to accomplish this feat.

Statements like "when it comes to finance, business & corporate services, urban environment," clearly shows that you don't know wtf you are talking about.

241 - 260 of 261 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.