Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 20 story towers have been scrapped so this one's going to be low-rise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previously:

Huge Mixed-Use Project Could Change the Face of Chinatown

All the crane-and-construction action in Downtown has been seeping up into Chinatown for a while now—the Jia Apartments opened recently, the Blossom Plaza complex has finally gotten underway, and the old Velvet Turtle lot has been cleared out for an undetermined future mixed-use project. Why, the only thing it's missing now are some residential high-rises. Enter a new proposal by EVOQ Properties (as seen on Building LA), which has two visions—both huge—for a project called College Station on a Gold-Line-adjacent lot at the northeast corner of Spring and College. One plan has two 20-story towers rising on the 5.24-acre lot, along with retail, live/work units, market-rate apartments, a market, parking, and affordable housing for seniors. And even the less ambitious plan would create 533 new transit-oriented units, more than double the apartments in Blossom Plaza, underway just across the street. Both are designed by VTBS Architects.

At the corner of College Street and Spring (parcel 1), there will be two 20-story towers with as many as 500 units and about 20,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space on the ground level. The towers will also have five live/work units and communal decks and pools on their respective rooftops. The vacant lot was a railyard and is now occasionally used for parking.

Senior housing would go in the middle of the development (parcel 2), offering 100 affordable apartments in a 62-foot, four-story building. The ground floor of the senior living structure would also have a 20,000-square-foot market. This section of the development would also include a public plaza and underground parking.

The northernmost end of the development (parcel 3) would be home to an eight-story, 80-unit live/work building with a central courtyard and greenspace. There'd be some more retail or a restaurant on the corner of Spring and Llewellyn streets.

-------

An alternate plan eliminates the two towers in favor of low-rise housing:

The difference between plans one and two are the towers: Development Plan II has none. Instead, they've been replaced with buildings that are 82-feet tall, with 339 units and 14 live/work lofts. There would also be a pedestrian-oriented plaza at College and Spring and a new crosswalk to the Gold Line's Chinatown Station—this is a transit-oriented development, after all. The other elements of the development (parcels 2 and 3) would stay the same as in the previous Development Plan.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Whew! It's not too near Philippe's, so build away.
More of a historic/nostalgic establishment rather than good food at a good place.

That site will never redevelop (for historical reasons) unless it's damaged and unfit for public... Even then, it'll probly just be rebuilt as the same thing with better materials and structure.

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
Why .. KENNI .. it's .. it's Chinatown ............. punk ...​
NICE! I can just picture your excitement when you saw the opportunity that Kenni had set you up for! Once in a lifetime. BAM.

But what's wrong with "Forget it, Kenni....it's Chinatown" ?

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
I wonder why developers have shied away from this part of downtown all this time.
Kenni, really.

You wonder why they shied away from a part of town that had some polluted rail yards, a mostly dead ethnic community, some rundown warehouses, multiple property owners, freeways, prisons and huge housing projects? And beyond that to the east, west and north, are very old warehousing and downmarket communities?

At least Spring and Main had great architecture in and around them and at some retail and urban services.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Dead ethnic community is right... At least rename the eastern half of this district "Little Hanoi" and you might be able to jump start some kind of development (or at least a cleanup).

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Why are they even announcing this and providing renderings? Is it even a necessity to obtain approvals to build this? Just build it! Does anyone anywhere think that anyone anywhere actually cares? I'll even look the other way if they use child labor from Chiapas. Just build it!

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Kenni, really.

You wonder why they shied away from a part of town that had some polluted rail yards, a mostly dead ethnic community, some rundown warehouses, multiple property owners, freeways, prisons and huge housing projects? And beyond that to the east, west and north, are very old warehousing and downmarket communities?

At least Spring and Main had great architecture in and around them and at some retail and urban services.
Hmm, I don't see it that desperate. I think there has always been opportunities there that no one took advantage of.

Why .. KENNI .. it's .. it's Chinatown ............. punk ...​
..area probably as sorted as the plot itself. :lol: One of my fav movies btw.

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
Hopefully they don't build a while, then look for new financing; then build a while; then think about a new design; then build a while....

Hey, you're buildin' just like a Chinaman!

·
Registered
18,912 Posts
[/COLOR][/B]
That's us!
Something tells me that ain't business savvy Chinatowners.
Something tells me they are activists. Build away!
I'm sympathetic of keeping low rise where there is an attractive functioning 'hood, but I don't think this is like that. This is more like taking a very rundown and outdated area and putting up something that is much more livable. And next to transit.

It also happens to be rather nice, at least in the rendering.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Huge Chinatown Mixed-Use Project Ditches Its 20-Story Towers

The first designs for College Station, a mega-mixed-use complex east of the Chinatown Gold Line station, included the possibility of two 20-story towers; since then, the project's been tweaked by architecture firm Johnson Fain to include shorter housing buildings, lots of street-level retail, and plans for a 37,000-square-foot grocery store, says Urbanize LA. Now, the project will mix six low-rise buildings (holding 624 residential units) with "pedestrian-oriented commercial space" and inviting plazas, landscaped using native plants.

The buildings will face Spring and College streets, with balconies that face into the development and look out on the courtyards that sit on top of the complex's landscaped podium; the podium will also hold the resident amenities, like swimming pools and a gym.

Back up the plywood truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts