SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Look at the Glassy, 43-Story Tower Proposed for 8th and Fig

When we first learned of the plan to put a 43-story residential high-rise on a parking lot at the corner of 8th and Figueroa streets, we had little information to go on. Now, we at least have a rendering of what’s set to go up: A sleek, glassy tower designed by Johnson Fain, an architecture firm that's behind at least a dozen other Los Angeles developments.
Mitsui Fudosan America (MFA) tells Curbed via email that the tower will hold 436 rental units along with about 10,000 square feet of commercial space, including retail along Figueroa and along Eighth. It will also have 460 parking spaces and parking for 400 bicycles, just a block away from the 7th Street/Metro Center rail station.
MFA's parent company is Japanese real estate developer Mitsui Fudosan. The company attempted to put a 400-room hotel on the site back in the 1990s, but the plan never got off the ground.
This new tower will be a block away from the 73-story Wilshire Grand, which will hold a fancy hotel, office space, and retail on the bottom floors.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Not sure what the objection is to podiums. They create outdoor space above street level and light and perspectives from the ground. More of an outdoor feeling than you get in the severe winter cities.

·
Registered
601 Posts
As long as the parking podium includes retail at street level and isn't a long blank wall, I see no problem with them. If I were to live in one of these towers I would most certainly love to have the outdoor space allowed by the parking podium roof.

·
Globalizing LA
880 Posts
Awful podium. Podiums take up basically the entire footprint of the land site. There goes bye-bye to your street-level green space. They also act as setbacks near adjoining parcels since the tower will only rise over a section of it. These podiums springing up all over DTLA will create "holes" between buildings.

A single or two taller towers could have been build here with more green space at the street-level. But unfortunately the driver for tower designs nowadays are still heavily influenced by minimum parking requirements.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
As long as the parking podium includes retail at street level and isn't a long blank wall, I see no problem with them. If I were to live in one of these towers I would most certainly love to have the outdoor space allowed by the parking podium roof.
Exactly. The key is having something on the ground floor and decent cover for the parking, if necessary. The podium itself is a plus in mild weather climates where outdoor space and views are highly desirable.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Not sure what the objection is to podiums. They create outdoor space above street level and light and perspectives from the ground. More of an outdoor feeling than you get in the severe winter cities.
Besides my own opinion for the looks of it, there's also no point to it since the property is right above 4 metro lines. I agree some podiums have had a positive impact with the surroundings, but it's not the only way.

I'd buy there in a heartbeat. Location, location, location!
Obviously location is ideal. But since this thing doesn't actually exist yet, might as well make it likeable.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Besides my own opinion for the looks of it, there's also no point to it since the property is right above 4 metro lines. I agree some podiums have had a positive impact with the surroundings, but it's not the only way.
Can't speak for anyone else, but if I were to spend the kind of money needed to get a condo or apartment in such a building, I would want a place to park my car.

But I do agree, such podiums should not be voids at ground level - there should be retail or offices.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Can't speak for anyone else, but if I were to spend the kind of money needed to get a condo or apartment in such a building, I would want a place to park my car.

But I do agree, such podiums should not be voids at ground level - there should be retail or offices.
Agree, but you should say "cars". If a couple (or apartment mates) has that kind of money they will have two cars per unit.

On a similar note, the idea seems to have become popular in LA that everyone needs to have a $2-4k apartment and, if you don't have that kind of money, then apartments are "unaffordable".

What is really happening is that attractive new apartments with pools, lounges, rec rooms, views and other amenities in a great location are expensive. They are aimed at the renter with a high paying job. They are affordable for him, although not for everyone.

If you don't have that money (which most don't) you live in a smaller first story unit that's kind of worn, no pool, no view, no rec room, tacky furniture, etc., in a 60 year old building. In other words, the kind of place where pretty much everyone I grew up with lived in and many still do.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
[/COLOR][/B]

I just figured it out - you're a drug lord!
No, the streets were paved, the rooms had floors, running water, electricity, regular mail service, streetlights, etc. They were just typical LA housing for poor to average people.

The residents more likely became the employees or owners of restaurants and other small businesses.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Plans Submitted for 42-Storey Downtown Los Angeles Tower
Mere footsteps away from the supertall Wilshire Grand Center, now the tallest building in Los Angeles, a downtown surface parking lot is destined to be replaced by another highrise. Plans have been submitted to the city by developer Mitsui Fudosan America and architect Johnson Fain for a 42-storey tower preliminarily named 8th & Fig after the intersecting streets bounding the property.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts