SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renderings Revealed for 37-Story Hotel Tower Planned Near the L.A. Convention Center

A project website offers a first glimpse of The Albany, a hotel tower planned just west of the Los Angeles Convention Center in Pico-Union.

The project, which comes from Los Angeles-based real estate investor Sandstone Properties, would replace a currently-vacant building located at the intersection of Pico Boulevard and Albany Street - immediately west of the Harbor Freeway. Plans call for a 37-story building which would feature 730 hotel rooms, 63,000 square feet of banquet space, and more than 800 parking stalls.

The Los Angeles office of architecture firm HOK is designing the proposed tower, which would rise 480 feet above street level. Renderings depict a contemporary glass tower fronting Pico, with tiered roof heights leading to a podium deck along the southern edge of the property. Renderings depict multiple levels of landscaped amenities - designed by Studio MLA - with a street-level plaza fronting Albany.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
Interesting. First issue: it's on the wrong side of the freeway so will the "Keep Pico-Union Poor and Drug Ridden" groups fight it tooth and nail? This is bound to encourage more investment and the next thing you know derelicts and residents of fire-traps will be forced to move a few miles south or east.

It's good to see City West getting some action so as to link up toward University Park, SC and Expo Park. MacArthur Park, here we come!

This is awfully insular. It's hard to picture a pleasant walkable integration into anything like real street life when so many developments are basically castles with underground parking. But as long as camps of hobos are allowed by the city that's what developers are going to prefer.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'd be surprised if it goes. Look how long it takes for a simple hotel to go up across the street from LA Live.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
This is awfully insular. It's hard to picture a pleasant walkable integration into anything like real street life when so many developments are basically castles with underground parking. But as long as camps of hobos are allowed by the city that's what developers are going to prefer.
You know as well as anyone that it's zoning issues the city has with minimum parking (among other ordinance and developer issues) that keep encouraging developers to build blocks and blocks worth of luxury housing on top of parking castles throughout L.A. rather than make it easier for new projects to connect with the streets and populace.

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
You know as well as anyone that it's zoning issues the city has with minimum parking (among other ordinance and developer issues) that keep encouraging developers to build blocks and blocks worth of luxury housing on top of parking castles throughout L.A. rather than make it easier for new projects to connect with the streets and populace.
I think you are mixing in too many different ideas and assuming they imply each other. Ultimately, neither the city nor developers do anything except limit themselves if they disregard demand on a broad scale.

I am guessing that demand is for living in walkable central cities with more parking and fewer hobos pouring in every day from every part of the country. But the developer can't control the hobo inflow so they do the next best thing and try to isolate their residents.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I would be surprised if a developer goes to their architects and tells them to design something that costs millions to build that nobody can use unless they already reside several floors or more above the sidewalk and no plans to lease out to retailers/businesses/restaurants.

Santa Monica is hobo central, but pedestrian usability is at least accessible at the pedestrian level. It's almost like DTLA is trying to build high-density aerial gated communities with street business extremely limited (per capita and per square foot).

·
Hirise Piping Man
842 Posts
I am wondering how it will connect to the convention center, the site seems isolated, in spite of the fact that it's only a few hundred feet away, I also wonder what the city is offering as an incentive to the developers to build a 500 foot tower in a predominately residential area, unless there are other planned projects unknown to us in the area, I can not see this happening

·
Registered
18,451 Posts
I am wondering how it will connect to the convention center, the site seems isolated, in spite of the fact that it's only a few hundred feet away, I also wonder what the city is offering as an incentive to the developers to build a 500 foot tower in a predominately residential area, unless there are other planned projects unknown to us in the area, I can not see this happening
The general area is older light industrial with some older housing. Presumably if one building is permitted, others will be permitted as well since it is quite close to the CC and DT, and hotels are a priority these days.

The no-change crowd will want to keep any kind of development away (see Boyle Heights, University Park, etc.). The only material battle I see is these people vs. those wanting more housing development and convention adjacent businesses.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
While I appreciate the efforts to expand the hotel-room capacity of the Los Angeles Convention Center, I'm not sure about the location on the other side of the Harbor Freeway, either. Due to the issues raised here by some other forumers, I don't know how something like this could be proposed in the first place, and I'll be surprised if further high-rises are developed near its vicinity. You could otherwise put a residential mid-rise on a site like this instead. Plus, if this "The Albany" goes forward despite the concerns, which chain(s) will want it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
While I appreciate the efforts to expand the hotel-room capacity of the Los Angeles Convention Center, I'm not sure about the location on the other side of the Harbor Freeway, either. Due to the issues raised here by some other forumers, I don't know how something like this could be proposed in the first place, and I'll be surprised if further high-rises are developed near its vicinity. You could otherwise put a residential mid-rise on a site like this instead. Plus, if this "The Albany" goes forward despite the concerns, which chain(s) will want it?
You'd think the architects/engineers would have considered some solutions for their guests on dealing with the freeway. My only gripe is that the building will be isolated from the nice widening skyline, keyword line. It's kinda ruining that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts