Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Downtown LA is probably one of the most diverse of american downtowns. There are so many sections, that most people don't even realize this. Also since hardly anyone even ventured into these areas of downtown, and I personally get tired of seeing the same scenes. I decided to take my camera and get some scenes of less photographed parts of downtown.
Be warned it was a bad day for taking pictures, and the fact that I should have been in the area earlier in the morning for better lighting didn't help. I also apologize for my camera, its on its last legs. Hopefully I can purchase one for my upcoming trip to Europe this fall. Anyway I thought I still share them, so please enjoy.

We'll start off in Little Tokyo

Yeah another trendy Pinkberry's Frozen Yogurt opening soon

Union Station

Where the city of LA began, more known as Olvera Street to the locals.

Arts District

Mmm, my now favorite coffee company, they have the best espresso I've tasted. For those who love cappuccino's its a place you have to check out when you visit LA

Next Stop Chinatown

DASH buses are the best thing that happened for downtown LA, and now many of the city's neighborhoods have them. 25 cents will get you anywhere.

The Last Stop was along the Gold Line, and this is one of the many TOD's being built around Los Angeles. Although this is not in downtown LA, but its only three stations to Union Station, and perhaps a 5-7 mins ride. I can't say I was all that crazy about the design, but the interior on the loft style units I visited was impressive and nice size of almost 1300 sq feet for a 1 bedroom loft. Price was $424,000 for that unit.

Yuck, I wouldn't want a unit facing that autoshop across the street. :yuck:

They also had rentals, as there seem to be several different complexes built near this gold line station.

·
Registered Abuser
1,552 Posts
Los Angeles <3

Thanks for the pics, many of those places look very familiar to me. Downtown LA is very diverse, it's where I have found crack dealers and smokers doing businees 1 block from the polics station, homeless people sleeping under glass skyscrapers, all the different ethnic communities... I also think Hollywood is pretty diverse too.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Perhaps you should do a website known as Forgotten LA, which would show places that many don't even known about just like Forgotten NY.

·
"Hands of Stone"
3,633 Posts
Nice pics, but there's a pervasive haze in all of them. Is that a result of the photography, weather, smog, or a combination thereof?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pics, but there's a pervasive haze in all of them. Is that a result of the photography, weather, smog, or a combination thereof?

That haze is our famous marine layer we get every year in late spring. Its referred to as June Gloom, but in reality as you can see here it starts usually around the beginning of May. By the way smog is usually brown, not grey. Also LA has always been had haze, its part of the natural setting of this region. It existed before LA was a big city with cars, and factories, and of course long before there was ever a city here.

Also this time of year makes it hard to get good photos because of the marine layer, and the lighting. Usually the best time during this period is early morning, or late afternoon.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LA has changed quite a bit since i came back. (2004)

Yes, even living here its amazing to see downtown change for the better. I've never seen so many yuppies and their dogs walking the pavement ever in downtown. You see it during the day with the business crowds, but its even more noticable after business hours. Also Little Toyko seems to be really busy, and also seem to attract a lot of young people at night. Its amazing to me to drive though at night and see so many people (and I'm not talking about the homeless either) going out to the bars. Downtown night life has a ways to go, but there is a noticable difference and how many people are out and about at night, especially in the historic district.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Great thread Chris. I love it when people take pics of parts we don't usually see.
I love this pic with those beautiful trees.

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
I really had no idea downtown had that much wall art. Thankx for the pix Chris!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts