Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a spur of the moment idea, I decided to stay in a room at the Clarion Hotel to take some pictures of the skyline. I asked for the highest floor room with a view. When I got to my room It was facing west and had no view of the skyline. I had to go to the top floor restaurant to get any night time shots, which was closing when I was there, so I was rushed.

In the morning, I was abruptly awakened at 9:00 AM by some extremely loud drilling on either side of my room walls. When I called the front desk they said "sorry for the inconvenience" and that they were fixing the elevators. Pretty amazing. I later ate breakfast on the top floor, and the food nor the service was very good. Currently, the best part of the Clarion is its view only (if you can get a room on that side).

At least I had a view of the Quorum Center construction site.

Interesting counterweight on this crane, just some blocks of concrete.

Thanks for viewing.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Matt, when we talked earlier I thought that you didn't get that many shots, but man... you really did take a bunch of nice looking photos :eek:kay: Really impressive photography!!! Like you told me, the Paramount is sort of hidden behind Glenwood Towers :( The Quorum Center seems to be making progress, which is refreshing. As for the skyline, not much has changed since February 1992, when I stayed in Clarion Hotel (back then it was Holiday Inn, if I recall correctly), in a room with a good view of downtown.

By the way, I loved all those black & white photos and the wide angle view of the State Government Complex. The very last photo - the "goodbye DT Raleigh" image - was also great :) Thanks for sharing all these images with us. You really did a fantastic job :eek:kay:

·
Megalomaniac
4,171 Posts
^ DOOM!!!

nice pics. couldn't you have gotten it free or something by finangling your city government connections?

what building's this? i really like it.

-

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
[Flash=quote]On a spur of the moment idea, I decided to stay in a room at the Clarion Hotel to take some pictures of the skyline. I asked for the highest floor room with a view. When I got to my room It was facing west and had no view of the skyline.[/quote]

Flash, here is a much cheaper way to do what you did. Go into a hotel that has a good view of whatever you want to take a photo of. Make sure your camera is hidden, preferably in an overnight bag. Ask someone at the front desk if you can take a look at one of the rooms, before you check in. It's a very reasonable request and most hotels will just let you have a key or swiper to a room. Just mention that you like the higher rooms, maybe one on the front of the hotel (wherever it is you want to take your photos.) Most hotels won't send anyone up with you. You've then got about 5-10 minutes to snap away without creating any suspicion. After that, just turn in the key and say "no thanks."

I've done it in very fancy hotels just to get a look at the view from a room, but it was before I got interested in photography.

·
Sic Semper Tyrannis
1,455 Posts
Flash, what type of camera do you own?

Great shots, by the way :).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a Canon 20D. Definitely not easily concealable, especially with lenses. But an overnight bag would probably do.

I should have just arranged a way to go there without staying the night; I've managed to get to the top of 3 other buildings in the city that way, but I thought it would be nice to relax in front of the window with a skyline view.

DallasTexan, do you really have a way to pull any strings? :bowtie: That would be sweet. The Sheraton is in the "denser" section of downtown so I bet it looks decent up there. Have you any experience with the Raleigh Sheraton?

LSyd, that is the Archdale Building, home to more government offices. Its somewhat detached and isolated and fits the linear path of other buildings. It would be nice to stick it closer to the rest of the CBD.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Of course - I'm a convention services coordinator for Starwood (owner of Sheraton, Westin, etc.) :)

I'll see what I can do -- Surprisingly, I have never stayed at the Sheraton Raleigh!

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
@LSyd: Flash already replied to you, but since I used to work there I need to tell you one more thing. Archdale Building is (in)famous for its lack of windows. I don't mean total lack, but pretty close. On the short sides it is ok, but along the longer sides it sucks. Anyway, the building has a unique shape, but it grows in you. During the last 5 years I've been working across from that building, to the East, and every time I see the Archdale Bldg I remind myself how nice it was to be able to take the elevator and go to the office, somewhere on the 11th floor. Just wanted to share this piece of useless information...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Saw the pics Flash. They are nice! DT Raleigh is very well lit at nite.....gives the feel of nitelife, even though it may not be in certain areas.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
DallasTexan said:
Of course - I'm a convention services coordinator for Starwood (owner of Sheraton, Westin, etc.) :)
Do you know if Starwood, which I'm pretty sure owns the top end W Hotel line, is ever going to build a 40 story mixed-use hotel on Lenox Road in Buckhead across from the Lenox Mall? The developer tore down an older hotel, I believe, with plans to build a highrise W Hotel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DallasTexan said:

I'll see what I can do -- Surprisingly, I have never stayed at the Sheraton Raleigh!
This explains why you think that all other hotels "suck." So you're at the infamous Sheraton Birmingham? Good for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i grabbed some lunch up there yesterday and took advantage of the view. It really is the best skyline view of raleigh. the crazy thing is that when you get up there, you really realize that Raleigh has so much density away from the line of towers on Fayetteville. i hear the bar has dollar beers on fridays, know where I will be drinking a lot soon!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts