Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find a thread for this and the search feature is not working.

First Look: Manny's Steakhouse

http://www.miami.com/first-look-mannys-steakhouse-article

By Marguerite Gil

The goods: The Mets are invading Miami. No, not the baseball team, the buildings. Located where Biscayne Boulevard starts curving its way uptown, Miami MET One, Two and Three are suddenly creating late-afternoon sun shade over the Miami Circle and Bayside. It's just a matter of time before the whole area is teaming with yo-pro (young professional) hipsters looking for a nesting area close to bustling Brickell and downtown attractions. And mayoral monikered Manny's Steakhouse will be there when they do.

Manny's interior surroundings are inspired by the food it serves. Cowskins cover the columns, booths are black leather sleek. Guests can dine indoors or in the open-air, ample bar area, which affords a view of the Miami River and Biscayne Bay.

The Grub: Generous portions of 21-day dry aged center cuts of beef topped with all the trimmings. Start with an appetizer like jumbo sea scallops Benedict, then move onto entrees such as the obligatory New York strip ($44.94), 14-oz filet mignon ($43.94), ahi tuna ($33.00) or lobster cakes ($23). The wait staff is overly efficient, and the wine list contains an extensive reserve list with deep vintages and more than 1000 bottles of reds, whites and champagnes.

The verdict: With some luck (and good marketing), Manny's will become a socializing spot for the well-heeled who enjoy top-grade surf and turf and high-octane mojitos.

Manny's Steakhouse, MET One, 300 S. Biscayne Blvd; 305-938-9000; free valet

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Manny's is excellent! Great service, delicious food, and very nice decor. Definitely a nice addition to the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Here's an article on a bunch of Indian, Thai, Indonesian, Filipino, and other southeast Asian restaurants in Downtown.

Small Asian eateries spice up downtown Miami
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/story/614167.html

MATAHARI CAFE
• 40 NE First Ave., Miami (Carrion Building), Suite 101; 305-379-3677; 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Thursday-Sunday; cash only.

BALI CAFE
• 109 NE Second Ave., Miami; 305-358-5751; 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; cash only.

TASTE OF BOMBAY
• 111 NE Third Ave., Miami; 305-244-5080; 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday-Monday; credit cards accepted.

RAJA'S
• 33 NE Second Ave., Miami; 305-539-9551; 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday; credit cards accepted.

CHITHRA'S
• 48 E. Flagler St., Miami (Flagler Station), space M-46, second floor; 305-789-2842; 11 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday; credit cards accepted.

INDIAN PREM
• 255 E. Flagler St., Miami, spaces 71-72 (enter at Marshalls across from Walgreens); 305-371-7736; 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday and Wednesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; credit cards accepted.

LUTONG PINOY
• 111 NE Third Ave., Miami; 305-244-5080; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday-Monday; cash only.

CRUISE LINK
• 145 E. Flagler St., Miami (777 International Mall), Suite A-13; 786-543-3947; 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday-Monday and every other Thursday; cash only.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Those restaurants primarily exist to serve cruise-ship employees desirous of a taste of home (as their operating hours suggest...these are decidedly not 'destination' restaurants ) but I always loved their authenticity and simplicity.

There was a Filipino place I used to frequent years ago on NE 1st Street (can't remember the name) but it was always fun, even if the food was uneven and the 'service' non-existent. The motivation for going there wasn't a desire for a great epicurean adventure (trust me, none of these places will give you that) so much as just wanting to be surrounded by things and people that were truly outside the normal Miami experience.

I'd definitelty recommend trying any of them---particularly if you can manage to find one full of Indonesians. Now THAT can be some amazing cuisine if you find the right place along with knowing what to order. Rijstaffel...oh, God... :cheers:

·
One Brickell CityCentre
13,121 Posts
Some photos from my night out on Saturday (02/14/2009) at Karu & Y. I'm still hung over almost two days later. Sorry I can't post all the photos :)
Now all you have to do is get some pictures like that in front of a piece of the skyline. :)

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Has anyone else eaten at Del Peroni on Flager? Nice and simple food, that just opened a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered Fool
2,775 Posts
Nice day on Wall Street today. About 500 point gain on the Dow. Have we finally "turned the corner"? If so, we can maybe expect to see some major improvements and growth in downtown at a faster pace then we thought could have been possible 3-6 months ago. It will start with more jobs, which leads to more condo sales and renters, which then leads to more retail and restaurants. Things appear to be starting to look up.

·
Registered Fool
2,775 Posts
Don't hold your breath.
Over the last couple weeks I been shifting some of my money in my portfolio from fixed income securities to stocks and guess what? My portfolio is up 5.5% in just the last 2 weeks!! Had I "held my breath" and stayed "on the sidelines" like you probably did, I'd be kicking myself right now. So, you can rest assured I wont hold my breath when I see opportunity. I suggest you do the same and not 'miss the boat' (if you haven't already).

Btw, I cashed out on some of my stock today in anticipation of a down day tomorrow due to investors taking profit. However, I expect the market to be in an uptrend over the coming months.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts