Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who think Richmond Hill is just low density suburbs and urban sprawl... well, you're mostly right. But there is a nice little downtown strip along Yonge St. between Major Mackenzie Dr. and Crosby Ave. Anyways, since joining these forums I've been meaning to take a little bit of a photo tour of this area, and here it is:

Yonge and Major Mac looking south, on a good day you can see the CN Tower

Yonge and Major Mac looking east

Richmond Hill Public Library (southwest corner of Yonge and Major Mac). They've been talking about building a Town Hall next to it for over a decade now. Current one is basically a rented office in a suburban business park near 7 and the 404

A couple of churches along Yonge, just north of Major Mac

Historic building, now a senior's home

Same building, but from where they are building some nice new condos

Some pics of the heart of downtown

Viva bus

Richmond Hill United Church. Tallest building in downtown

Ransom Park

Some shops just off Yonge (and my bike)

Some residential, off of Yonge St

Skating arena (also off of Yonge)

Future home of the Richmond Hill Theatre

Another pic of the construction, with some apartments in the background

What's left of the old Town Hall

A pic of some apartments just off Yonge

Yet another church

Small businesses in old buildings

Some apartments at the north end of downtown

Best shops in downtown :cheers: (north end apartments in pic too)

Apartment and office building at Yonge and Crosby

Viva bus at Crosby Ave

Viva bus stop

View of downtown from north of Elgin Mills Rd. (forgive the quality, used digital zoom, though I did do my best to clean it up in Photoshop)

Picture of the Loblaws I work at, just north of Elgin Mills

·
Registered
13,365 Posts

A Mercedes with a handicap plate from Texas! Holy ****! :D

Cute downtown, it's like downtown Westfort but with more buildings and some highrises. :p

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Mercedes with a handicap plate from Texas! Holy ****! :D

Cute downtown, it's like downtown Westfort but with more buildings and some highrises. :p
Didn't even notice the license plate there :lol:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Yeah, that's really quite something to see, especially in Richmond. I remember the first time I saw a new flat style Washington, DC plate, it blew my mind! :lol:

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Definitely have no idea how Vid noticed that license plate, he must really be a superhero riding a dolphin.

Anyways, there's a small part of me that would really like to live in Richmond Hill. It seems super quaint and the high chinese population would suit me just fine.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely have no idea how Vid noticed that license plate, he must really be a superhero riding a dolphin.

Anyways, there's a small part of me that would really like to live in Richmond Hill. It seems super quaint and the high chinese population would suit me just fine.
Well, Richmond Hill is much better designed than some suburbs in the GTA. Though there is a lot of suburban development, it isn't quite as bad as say Mississauga. Probably the worst of it is along Leslie Ave and Bathurst St, and north of 19th/Gamble (not including Oak Ridges). Beyond that, most things are well situated around major roads like Yonge, Bayview, Major Mac, and 16th/Carville. Yonge especially, since it is where the old downtown is and has lots of both residential and commercial development beyond it. Plus it has arguably the best transit outside of Toronto.

As for backgrounds, it is probably the biggest mix in the GTA. Don't know the stats, but per capita it may be more diverse than Toronto!!! Like in Toronto, you'll have neighbourhoods which are prominently black, white, chinese, middle eastern, indian, etc. Here it is just a giant mix of everything. If you want an area with a strong Asian community though, Markham would be your best bet.

·
@round the world
356 Posts
Ah, ah, everyone pay attention to different things on the pictures! For me, what I first saw was the motto (I assume it's the motto) of Richmond hill ('En la rose je fleuris', written in French!) on the first picture :)

Even though it seems to be a nice town, I guess it would really be too quiet for me to live there ;) I can't imagine myself living somewhere else than in a big city...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, ah, everyone pay attention to different things on the pictures! For me, what I first saw was the motto (I assume it's the motto) of Richmond hill ('En la rose je fleuris', written in French!) on the first picture :)

Even though it seems to be a nice town, I guess it would really be too quiet for me to live there ;) I can't imagine myself living somewhere else than in a big city...
It is definitely quieter than downtown, but don't think we don't have any interesting stuff up around here. A few weeks ago I saw some police officers arresting some teens for shooting at a train. Once a cop questioned me since some kid was beaten over the head with a pipe. And when I'm going up Yonge St late at night on one of the last 99 buses, I usually see some cops investigating something.

Of course, none of this ever gets reported in the media, since most of them don't know there is stuff north of Steeles. :nuts:

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
It is definitely quieter than downtown, but don't think we don't have any interesting stuff up around here. A few weeks ago I saw some police officers arresting some teens for shooting at a train. Once a cop questioned me since some kid was beaten over the head with a pipe. And when I'm going up Yonge St late at night on one of the last 99 buses, I usually see some cops investigating something.

Of course, none of this ever gets reported in the media, since most of them don't know there is stuff north of Steeles. :nuts:
Okay so interesting in the eyes of a Richmond Hiller is bored, delinquent teens trying to act hard. So essentially, it's just like every other GTA suburb ;)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice job!

Looks like the Toronto land eating monster chewed up Richmond Hill and spit it out ;)
Oh it finished doing that about 10 years ago now, along with Aurora and Newmarket. It is currently working on Georgina and East Gwillumberry. :)

zachus22 said:
Okay so interesting in the eyes of a Richmond Hiller is bored, delinquent teens trying to act hard. So essentially, it's just like every other GTA suburb ;)
Yeah, pretty much :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts