Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the reason for our building height limit. On approach to landing at the San Diego airport.

Hope you enjoyed the tour!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice Pictures! Those are some San Diego shots most never see! Great representing, I need to start doing the same.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
MAN! What excelent shots of a beautiful city! :eek2:
The BEST San Diego pix I've ever seen! :eek2:
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L C-I-T-Y-! :eek2:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments, all.

StevenW-

That's a pic of the Gaslamp District in downtown. It's a historic area where many of the buildings were built during the turn or the century. Today, it's filled with restaurants, nightclubs and shops.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
sd_urban said:
Thanks for the comments, all.

StevenW-

That's a pic of the Gaslamp District in downtown. It's a historic area where many of the buildings were built during the turn or the century. Today, it's filled with restaurants, nightclubs and shops.
Cool. Thanks. :)
It's obvious to me that San Diego does not get the exposure and respect that it deserves.
I, myself, have even been quite ignorant to this great city. I've only seen certain skyline shots, and that's it. Now my understanding is quite corrected.
Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures. :)
San Diego, now, will most definately be on my list of cities to visit. ;)
AND, I'll make sure to visit the "Gaslamp District", too. ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
San Diego looks really nice. I hope I get the chance to visit there this summer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Building Height Limits in San Diego

SD_Urban,

I know that the Port of San Diego is currently in the selection phase of building a new airport to replace Lindbergh Field. Do you know if the City of San Diego is looking to increase these limits once the new airport is built? Will Lindbergh Field be developed into new housing and commercial space?

The picture of the jacaranda tree was my favorite. I lived in Sydney for 3 years where there are plenty of these trees. Absolutely beautiful in the spring!!

West_Coast_Bret

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The topic of relocating the airport has been going on for decades now and I'm not exactly sure what the use of Lindbergh Field would be if it were ever moved. I know the move won't be in my llifetime. I can only imagine that the height limit would be raised. I've heard there is currently a city plan that would allow highrises to be built up to 700 feet in the center city, but that it would need the approval from the FAA. Forumers on another website have suggested that there are rumors of developers trying to get permission to build towers taller than 500 feet, so we'll see.

I, too, love Jacaranda trees. You can't drive around SD without seeing the purple blooms everywhere.

·
1,652 Posts
^Well the Airport Authority isn't going to building a new airport anytime soon with all the major airbases still standing after the round of BRAC closures. Its sad, the community plan has the building height limit around 750 feet, but with the FAA changing its limits and airplane approch paths against the city there won't be a good 750 footer or even a moderate 600 footer for sometime.

Please BOSA petition, PETITION!!!

·
babylon falling
297 Posts
Very nice shots. Concerning the airport: If Lindbergh is closed it will most definitely become a "Downtown NorthWest" with tons of residential and commercial towers. By the time it will be closed SD County will be completely built out with no more room for single family homes. We are talking 2015 to 2020 here so Oceanside, Carlsbad, and Chula Vista will have no more open land left to sprawl.

Those are the 3 places that still have some room to grow. I guess if Miramar is closed in a future round of base closures in say 2010 or 2015 that will open up more land for developement.

San Diego is going to be forced to seriously increase density and the land at Lindbergh will be the perfect spot to do it.

As for a developer fighting the FAA, I would not be surprised if a 600 to 750 footer went up south of Broadway. I think a logical case could be made for it being perfectly safe for a tower of that height in the southern end of downtown.

·
1,652 Posts
Exactly! But why hasn't any proposals come up for such a tower? Where are the backbones of these developers. I was thinking of maybe putting a good 600ft building south of the bay bridge, along with some other smaller building to even it out.

As for the land that the airport is one right now don't expect to see towers streching to the sky just yet. I read an article that said that the land is unstable since its infill. Theres even worried now that if there were an earthquake the runway might be damaged. All well, theres still lots of room in downtown.

And have any of you seen what going on in dt Oceanside??? There a good number of 7 and 8 story buildings are going up, plus the 12 story resort hotel that'll be up there in a couple of years. :)

·
babylon falling
297 Posts
^^^ Actually the resort hotel will probably not be 12 stories. I have heard more like 9 to 10 tops. Anyway, Oceanside has dragged there feet on this for so long I'm just bored with them. I'll believe it when I see the cranes.

As for the "infill" at Lindbergh not being able to sustain scrapers. How in the hell is Dubai building a tower well over 1,000 feet on a strip of infilled sand over the ocean? Have you seen the tower they are going to put on the trunk of the palm island?? Simply amazing. Developers and engineers will be able to figure out how to go vertical on the Lindbergh property. Plus we will be looking at 2015 to 2020 technology, so in the future there could be innovative building methods.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts