SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Now that is a great example in urban revitalization and restoration if some great buildings.

I've been all over many of the new developments in St. Louis, but I haven't actually been able to go in the buildings and see what the interior looks like. Thanks for the pictures.

Keep up the momentum St. Louis. Awesome progress so far...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Absolutely proof positive that Saint Louis has the greatest downtown in the midwest outside of Chicago. Others have old, and still some others have new, but Saint Louis has them both all wrapped up into the most stunning patch of urbanity outside of Cook County.

·
Registered
469 Posts
STL4EVER said:
Absolutely proof positive that Saint Louis has the greatest downtown in the midwest outside of Chicago. Others have old, and still some others have new, but Saint Louis has them both all wrapped up into the most stunning patch of urbanity outside of Cook County.
I'm not quite sure you can say that yet. If you said "neighborhoods" instead of "downtown" I would certainly agree with you, but despite the recent developments, I don't know that we can difinitively say St. Louis has passed up Minneapolis, Milwaukee, etc.

There is still MUCH work to be done for St. Louis' downtown. The photo thread above is proof that there has been a big step in the right direction.

It certainly does not lack the potential to be firmly situated in that #2 spot. Let's wait another five years and see.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
^Agreed. I think structurally, Detroit ranks #2 in the Midwest, with STL following VERY closely. But as for vitality and sustainability, we'd be fooling ourselves to think that St. Louis has it in the bag. We need more basic amenities to make it a truly viable neighborhood. It is well on its way, but we still have lots of work to do.

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ Exactly. The nice thing for St. Louis is that it is much easier to add vitality and sustainability (which St. Louis is lacking) than it is to add history, infastructure, and character (which St. Louis does not lack at all).

It would also help if things like the Century Building were not torn down, and concrete parking garages were not put up.

·
The Jive is Alive.
1,537 Posts
oooh, I HATE parking garages. The other day I was marveling at how many beautiful buildings downtown St. Louis has preserved, but I was disgusted by how so many parking garages separate them. It is sick, there are SO MANY FUCKING PARKING GARAGES. I know a lot of cities have tons of parking garages, but I don't like them in mine!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I find them especially irritating and prevelant near Busch stadium. When the new stadium goes up, what are the plans, if any, for additional parking garages? The last thing I want to see is a canyon of garages near the stadium and Highway 40.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I stay in a suburb of St. Louis right now, known as Edwardsville. Its where I go to school. I graduate in 3 months and will probably move to St. Louis. Either get myself a loft in the Merchandise Mart apts. downtown or move into the CWE.

That is of course if I dont move to Portland/Seattle before that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts