Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kress building was getting worked on today. I walked by this afternoon and the door was open. It's all one big room and looked quite interesting. Unfortunately I was playing with a new phone and the camera was set to a really low resolution (for picture messaging) and the photo I took is pretty much useless. There was some construction equipment inside but only one or two workers. Does anyone know what's happening? I thought the proposals had been shot down. It's a great looking building with a lot of history.

·
USF Architecture Student
1,518 Posts
The Kress building was getting worked on today. I walked by this afternoon and the door was open. It's all one big room and looked quite interesting. Unfortunately I was playing with a new phone and the camera was set to a really low resolution (for picture messaging) and the photo I took is pretty much useless. There was some construction equipment inside but only one or two workers. Does anyone know what's happening? I thought the proposals had been shot down. It's a great looking building with a lot of history.
Ya I saw people working on the corner building next to it, the old Newmans building I think is what that one is called.
could this mean that the new Kress Towers are going to be made!?!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I saw a carpenter or a painter leaving the Kress about a month ago when Element had their big kickoff. I doubt the towers are going to be made but maybe they're renovating the block.

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a carpenter or a painter leaving the Kress about a month ago when Element had their big kickoff. I doubt the towers are going to be made but maybe they're renovating the block.
Well this work was going on inside, there have been no changes to the outside. If they were renovating the block, it would be the other way around.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I hope they keep Kress as is and rehabilitate the building. Perfect location for a trendy restaurant as well as a plus to preserve older buildings downtown (instead of demolishing them for an ambiguous condo project).

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be huge for a restaurant, but I agree about the location. While I was looking at the inside I thought it would make a fun concert hall. No matter the use, parking is the issue since it doesn't have any of its own.

I did some digging and it appears that the Doran Jason Group is still trying to sell the Kress condo project to another developer. It's listed at $32 million. Apparently they don't believe their own marketing because their estimated $386M gross sales in condos less the $201M development expense leaves a tidy profit. All this can be yours!

Update: FloridaFuture beat me to the note about the project up for sale. If you Google around you can find the sales listing PDF. No interior photos of Kress though. Or square footage figures.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
RE: Parking

Whatever ends up at that location needs to be a neighborhood mainstay, not a regional mainstay that lures people in from outside of downtown.... Or at least it shouldn't be looked at as the sole reason to go downtown at current. People from Skypoint and Element (and Twelve, and the hotel north of Twelve) along with lunchtime business people would be a pedestrian element for a restaurant or other (small -- not large) retail business in Kress. There's enough downtown parking as is for other events and the walk isn't terrible for those who are in Channelside that want to venture elsewhere in downtown.

I'm just not keen on making parking a big issue when you're trying to promote pedestian traffic and mass transit in the city... But then again, with the current situation - parking is a very important detail and it just isn't there (though there will be a floor of space on Element and Twelve for post-office hour parking).

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
RE: Parking

Whatever ends up at that location needs to be a neighborhood mainstay, not a regional mainstay that lures people in from outside of downtown.... Or at least it shouldn't be looked at as the sole reason to go downtown at current. People from Skypoint and Element (and Twelve, and the hotel north of Twelve) along with lunchtime business people would be a pedestrian element for a restaurant or other (small -- not large) retail business in Kress. There's enough downtown parking as is for other events and the walk isn't terrible for those who are in Channelside that want to venture elsewhere in downtown.

I'm just not keen on making parking a big issue when you're trying to promote pedestian traffic and mass transit in the city... But then again, with the current situation - parking is a very important detail and it just isn't there (though there will be a floor of space on Element and Twelve for post-office hour parking).
So long as mass transit is essentially non-existent in the area, then ample parking will continue to be the lynchpin to the success of just about anything which gets developed DT, just as it has been basically ever since the transit system was gutted decades ago.... For people to be able to walk around DT, they first have to be able to get there.

Update: FloridaFuture beat me to the note about the project up for sale. If you Google around you can find the sales listing PDF. No interior photos of Kress though. Or square footage figures.
Square footage can be found on the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser's website if nowhere else.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Has there been any other news on Kress?

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,165 Posts
^No, and please don't spam threads with posts asking... If there's one thing that's a certainty, it's that when there is news about it someone will inevitably post the news here.

(Not trying to get on your case, but people get banned for doing that too much)

·
Downtown resident
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was anyone else at the Gasparilla film fest's wrap party at the Kress building? They did an amazing job turning a 25+ year unused building into an event space. I hope this has opened the owners and city up to doing more things like this.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Was anyone else at the Gasparilla film fest's wrap party at the Kress building? They did an amazing job turning a 25+ year unused building into an event space. I hope this has opened the owners and city up to doing more things like this.
You mean people can actually go inside Kress now?

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
I actually drove by there coming back from the Storms game (they lost) and had no idea what was going on. It still looked like a amazing event going on there and it was good decision to close off the street and allow everyone to hang out between Element and Kress. Lets hope this becomes an annual kind of thing (allowing the street to be closed).

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
^No, and please don't spam threads with posts asking... If there's one thing that's a certainty, it's that when there is news about it someone will inevitably post the news here.

(Not trying to get on your case, but people get banned for doing that too much)
Wow! And I used to do that a lot too. (shakes head)

1 - 20 of 291 Posts