Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Times Staff Writer
Posted: Jun 24, 2009 02:51 PM

Here's another dollars-and-cents measurement in which Tampa is less than economically competitive: downtown parking.

In its ninth annual parking rate survey, the real estate company Collier International said Tampa's average daily rate of $15 exceeds costs in rival cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Raleigh and Dallas.

Of that group, Jacksonville was cheapest at $8.70. Dallas was next lowest at $10.50. It could be worse. Midtown Manhattan charges an average of $44 to warehouse your wheels.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article1013033.ece

I always thought the prices in downtown were reasonable. I never parked in the garages, but have risked parking my car in one of them empty lots for only $3. If it is $15, I say the price should be dropped to around $10.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Paying for parking is unamerican! LOL! I always find somewhere free to park, it's just a matter of looking. Of course for the people in the office buildings it doesn't really matter I guess.

·
USF Architecture Student
1,518 Posts
The private garages are really expensive, like Regions Bank. Those private owned lots by that Parking Company are really expensive too. Although if you don't mind walking, parking is free under I275 and I never see any of the lots or street parking full up there. That's where I usually park. Ybor's garage is free during lunch time.
But if you think about it, its an incentive to living in downtown... No parking fees eh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speaking of parking I am heading to the Tampa Bay History Museum tomorrow, where is my best bet on parking around there?
You can also park for FREE on 11th (1 street East of Meridian) - just North of Cumberland (ToC)...it appears the staffers from Channelside Plaza use it. There are no meters and no signs prohibiting parking (last time I checked)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah 12th St. and 11th st have the same kind of parking. Its Residential parking at 9pm.
It's my understanding that permits are required for residents who wish to park on 12th St overnight. It would appear that city does not require permits for vehicles parked on streets other than 12th, so 11th should be wide open.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I park in the BoA building and almost have to by necessity. I have to have access to my car in case I need to leave for a client appointment. It isn't fun walking half a mile in 95 degree weather in a suit.

·
Designer, 1404designs
1,117 Posts
Maybe because I never had to pay for parking, but it never occured to me that Tampa was much higher than it should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.