SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you may like a seperate thread to the other Downtown Week one, which was mainly about generating ideas. I will put up events as and when they are agreed on this thread to give you all a little advance notice!

A number of extremely interesting events have been agreed by downtown entrepreneurs and creative individuals as part of their celebration of Downtown Week. These include;

AFL architects are arranging a series of Loft Tours of the City Lofts development on Princes Dock... dates TBA

Liverpool Vision are putting on a walk and future visioning for the Ropewalks area that shold be extremely interesting... again date TBA...

other walks and talks are planned as part of the extra events being put on especially to celebrate Downtown Week, including;

Merseyside Civic Society and the Daily Post are hosting once again one of last year's most succesful events. 'Quentins' Downtown' will be taking place one evening during the week and is well worth looking out for.

I am charing a debate on how should Liverpool develop over the next twn years.. good exploration of themes and ideas as to how the city should stake out it's planning and development codes... John Elcock is one of the presenters/debatees...EH may havbe a rep there!!!!!

John and I are also doing a walk in conjunction with Architecture Week about a similar subject... looking at how cities can and should change... showing examples as we walk around the CBD and Princes Dock

Heart & Soul on Mount Pleasant's oldest building are planning a number of events, including a jazz night, a salsa night and a farmers market!

The Civic Trust are pulling together a number of ideas around a mini seminar and networking event for urbanists!

Lots more so keep an eye out at

http://www.downtownweek.info

Please pass info on through your contacts and encourage everyone you know to get downtown sometime at least during the week... remember, the week is primarily about celebrating the vibe and creativity we have downtown rught now... so be sure to get downtown!

·
Just something
8,885 Posts
There are no connections in the Downtown Week Diary.

Tony Sebo said:
I thought you may like a seperate thread to the other Downtown Week one, which was mainly about generating ideas. I will put up events as and when they are agreed on this thread to give you all a little advance notice!

A number of extremely interesting events have been agreed by downtown entrepreneurs and creative individuals as part of their celebration of Downtown Week. These include;

AFL architects are arranging a series of Loft Tours of the City Lofts development on Princes Dock... dates TBA

Liverpool Vision are putting on a walk and future visioning for the Ropewalks area that shold be extremely interesting... again date TBA...

other walks and talks are planned as part of the extra events being put on especially to celebrate Downtown Week, including;

Merseyside Civic Society and the Daily Post are hosting once again one of last year's most succesful events. 'Quentins' Downtown' will be taking place one evening during the week and is well worth looking out for.

I am charing a debate on how should Liverpool develop over the next twn years.. good exploration of themes and ideas as to how the city should stake out it's planning and development codes... John Elcock is one of the presenters/debatees...EH may havbe a rep there!!!!!

John and I are also doing a walk in conjunction with Architecture Week about a similar subject... looking at how cities can and should change... showing examples as we walk around the CBD and Princes Dock

Heart & Soul on Mount Pleasant's oldest building are planning a number of events, including a jazz night, a salsa night and a farmers market!

The Civic Trust are pulling together a number of ideas around a mini seminar and networking event for urbanists!

Lots more so keep an eye out at

http://www.downtownweek.info

Please pass info on through your contacts and encourage everyone you know to get downtown sometime at least during the week... remember, the week is primarily about celebrating the vibe and creativity we have downtown rught now... so be sure to get downtown!
Hi, looks great but so far there are no connections in the Downtown Week Diary.

I think we call that a technical hitch............doh!

Hee hee hee.

So much like first night nerves don`t you think. :bash:

http://www.downtownweek.info/events.htm

are ok.

Links are fabulous.....

http://www.downtownweek.info/links.htm

The gallery needs to happen .....

http://www.downtownweek.info/gallery.htm

F.A.B

Time to connect ......

and just get involved!

http://www.downtownweek.info/get_involved.htm

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LoL! I am updating the lists over the weekend as info has only just begun to come in over the last few days... I've been waiting for critical mass! The big problem has been that although loads have said they would do stuff for the week, when it comes to actually settling on an idea (and the date etc it will happen) people leave it so late. This was the main problem last year.

I have been sneaking up the occasional one on this site to give you all a little advanced notice, but I can't put stuff on the DW site without full details the way I can on here.

As for the gallery.. I am thinking of removing that as it implies there should be something in there now, when my idea was to put pics up during/after the weeks itself!

what ever anyone thinks they can do to raise awareness of the week and get more people downtown would be great... lots of you have already promoted it, using the logos, advertising the evetns that have been detailed etc, so thanks for that. It should generate quite a few extra initiatives, but I would remind you all taht DW is about celebrating the vibe etc of everything we already have... it is about everything downtown and not just these extra things, they are simply the icing on the cake!

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
here are the latest list of extra projects being provided for Downtown Week

DW 06 Participants list

Downtown Pictiorial
A stunning online exhibition by Liverpool Pictorial highlighting the best of downtown Liverpool in it's maritime setting!
http://www.downtownpictorial.co.uk

Liverpool48 film making challenge
Film challenge itself runs through 10th-11th June with public viewings and judging throughout the week
More info http://www.liverpool48.com

Ropewalks: Past, Present & Future - A Walking Tour
As part of Downtown Week 2006, Liverpool Vision are organising a walking tour of the historic Ropewalks area. Liverpool Vision is leading the transformation in the area and has recently published an action plan for the area
Ropewalks has established itself as part of the city centre living phenomena. Many historic buildings have been refurbished as apartments and there have been significant amounts of new build on gap sites in the area.
Matt Biagetti Liverpool Vision Development Manager, will lead the tour which explores the plans for the future.
Numbers are limited
Demand for this walk is extremely high - places are strictly limited.
To reserve your place e-mail Pam Carroll
Date: Tuesday 13 June
Meet: Concert Square (Modo)
Time: 11.30am - 1.00pm
------------------------------------------------------------------------

dot-art are hosting a special exhibition highlighting 8 of their artists work at downtown’s Philharmonic Hall, Hope St
Ongoing throughout Downtown Week (1st - 13th June)
For more details contact Lucy Byrne, Managing Director, dot-art email:[email protected] mobile: 07976723796
www.dot-art.co.uk
------------------------------------------------------------------------

AFL Architects have arranged a tour of the splendid City Lofts development on Princes Dock...get downtown and check out the best of downtown living
Restricted places, please book asap
Contact Steve Unwin 0151 231 6200
[email protected]

AFL are also hosting an open office week at their Old Hall St centre.
AFL are involved in many interesting schemes in Liverpool so it is well worth making a quick phone all and arranging a visit.

Merseyside Civic Society and the Liverpool Daily Post - 'Quentins' Downtown' one of last year's most popular events. TBA

'Talk Architecture' is an open discussion about how the people of Liverpool envisage their city developing over the next ten years. Featuring a panel of key thinkers, John Elcock and Wayne Colquhoun, this event is a participatory dialogue between the panel and members of the public.
I8th June
FACT Wood St
11a.m - 12.30 p.m
Contact
Anthony Siebenthaler
07910 846 574
[email protected]

Heart & Soul Bar-resaurant Mount PLeasant Are hosting a number of Downtown Week events throughout the week. Details as follows

Sunday 11th June 2006 BBQ
Tim Harvey and his band present a jazz BBQ in the courtyard to launch
Heart and Soul's Thursday night jazz club, Blue Note and to christen our
new arrival, a REAL piano

Saturday 17th June 2006, Farmers Market
Sample some local produce as Andy from Claremont farm , displays his wares
in the courtyard. Welcome summer with his asparagus, strawberries and other
delights

Sunday 18th June 2006 BBQ
DJ 'Muvelo' Perez and All Things Latin present a Noche Latina BBQ and
Latin music event, in the courtyard

Details contact Chumki [email protected]
http://www.heartandsoulrestaurant.co.uk/

The Civic Trust are hosting an exhibition of previous Civic Trust Awards winners from the last 40 years
Friday & Saturday16th and 17th June at their downtown offices, 5th floor Century Building, North John St.
More details call 231 1031

Unity Building Tour. Visit the top of the new Unity development on Chapel Street designed by award winning architects Allford Hall Monaghan Morris. Laing O'Rourke and Rumford Investments Ltd invite you to a special viewing of the top of the building and a tour with the architects.
19th June
Contact
Anna Johnson
Riba Nw
0151 707 4380
[email protected]
www.riba.org
This is a free event, but booking is required
Please e-mail [email protected] to reserve a place

Site – sight
A special Downtown Week picnic is taking place again. One of the most popular of the extra events put on for last year, the team behind the ‘Elemental Journeys’ Picnics are inviting people to join them at at the new visitor centre in the new Paradise St Bus Station. Just bring your own picnic lunch and then be taken to the secret venue where the picnic will actually take place!
12.30p.m 15th June
Rendesvous point : visitor centre in the new Paradise St Bus Station

Friends of Liverpool Monuments
Titled, Tyson Smith - The Downtown works of Liverpool's greatest artist/sculptor, an exploratory walk, taking a look at some of the works of liverpool's greatest artist/sculptor of the last 100 years.

Date 17th June
Time/duration 3-4p.m
Meet: Church Alley by the Bluecoat Arts centre/Athenaeum

email Patrick Neil or call: 0151 482 2004

Places are limited to 20 so be sure to book early, though if the event proves popular the friends are interested in making the walk
a regular contribution to the downtown offer!

·
Just something
8,885 Posts
Is anyone interested in `Liverpool Camera Walks`?

I was hoping to be in Liverpool for the entire week - I think now it will most likely be the tail end. i.e, Thursday onwards.

Is anyone interested in `Liverpool Camera Walks`?

Victoria Monument was always a good place to meet up as you could head off in a variety of directions.

:grouphug:

:dance:

I`m sure a pint somewhere or other would help people focus.

:cheers:

One of my problems is that I will have very very limited computed access whilst in Liverpool as I have not yet converted to WiFi Laptop.

I`m such a dulard. :bash:

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An excellent idea Pie.... I would like to go on one!

Also note, The Merseyside Civic Society have settled on the time/date of the 'Quentin's Downtown' walk... should be good

Quentin’s Downtown Walk

The War Memorial, The Plateau, St George’s Hall, Lime Street

You are invited to join Merseyside Civic Society to participate in an early evening guided tour of features of the Plateau, St George’s Hall and St John’s Gardens.
Wednesday 14 June Assemble at 1745 for 1800....
The event will be led by Peter Elson Senior Features Writer at the Liverpool Daily Post Patrick Moran Chairman of the MCS Conservation and Heritage Committee Robin Riley Chairman of the MCS Public Monuments and Streetscape Committee and Felicity Wren. Download further information here

you will have to check the downtown week site for the links I'm afraid... I have had real trouble with the techno malarky side of things all week!
Also not Pie that your suggestions have partly been taken on board?

·
3,333 Posts
I have my place confirmed on the Unity tour, thanks to Tony for making these events possible.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one Doug... hope as many of you can get along and support these extra initiatives... remember though that the main message is that the week is a celebration of everything that is helping downtown's revival and cultural richness?

Would all who use other forums, particularly the footy ones stick a few projects up for people to see there?

I am thinking of the AFL open office for the footy fans as they are involved with Anfield!

Cheers folks

The week is getting off to a good start with the film challenge attracting nearly 40 film makers to undergo the challenge!

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent Kev... just seen your promotional stuff for DW on your sites too!
Thanks

Anyone doing the City Lofts one?
It is tomorrow at 2p.m

·
3,333 Posts
Tony, I've tried to e-mail you this morning but but the mail server has just returned it as undeliverable due to recipients mailbox is full, you must be busy.

For Sunday's event at FACT do I need to reserve a place??

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no Doug, simply turn up and participate. The idea is that the 'public' mingle with the meeting as well.... the cafe counter is to remain open throughout the debate!!!!!

As for my email, I have actually had terrible problems for the last week... talk about catastrophic bad timing! Hopeing to sort that soon but telewest haven't got a clue what's wrong.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Got my place booked on the Unity tour on Monday as well. Very excited, as I don't normally have the time for such excursions!

Is taking snaps on these kind of tours frowned upon or is it acceptable?

·
Registered
344 Posts
McGrath said:
Got my place booked on the Unity tour on Monday as well. Very excited, as I don't normally have the time for such excursions!

Is taking snaps on these kind of tours frowned upon or is it acceptable?
I'm taking pics - how could they say no?

5pm I should be there.

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I imagine that it will be case of the more the merrier.. snap away lads...

If anyone is really concerned however, it may be worth contacting Anna at the RIBA bookshop?

·
Just something
8,885 Posts
If anybody wants to meet up for a drink tomorrow or saturday or want`s company on a walk give me a call.

I`m afraid I probably wont` be able to get online in Liverpool but Garath and other have my mobile.

The pass word is `nicknackpaddywack` ..... otherwise enjoy.

Africa Oye sounds like it could be good.

Right I`m off for the Train to LIVERPOOL YEAAAAAAAH! :)

·
The Wirral, Liverpool
300 Posts
Well just thought i'd pass on that i entered the 'Liverpool 48' competition last weekend, we made an absolutely wicked film. Went to my friends media dept at edge hill university in ormskirk to finish some last minute things, and we missed the deadline by 20 minutes by a hold up on the way back into Liverpool and they wouldn't accept it. Bit devestated, but what can you do?

·
Banned
18,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never mind Wirral. I am sure that there will be a chance to have your work used as I have been talking about the event with the organisers with regards to taking things up a notch or two mediawise.

Come along to the prize giving on Sunday at 3345 as I will be there.... pity you didn't get yours in as they have asked me to be a judge!

Really top notch stuff by most of the entrants as well

Invite is also for anyoine interested in this type of stuff.

should be a good networking event as much as anything.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just a thought for next year Tony....downtownkids.com. Getting our local school kids downtown. Visits to significant areas/ buildings tours/ heritage trails etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts