SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters) -
Congo's growth rate will rise to 6.8 percent from an expected 5.4 percent this year, according to forecasts released by the office of the prime minister on Tuesday.

Annualised inflation is also expected to fall to 9.9 percent by the end of 2011, a drop on 2010's end-of-year target of 15 percent, the statement said.

The 2011 budget is estimated at $6.7 billion, of which $3 billion will come from outside sources. Prime minister Adolphe Muzito submitted his 2011 budget to the National Assembly on Tuesday morning, said the statement.

However Congo's currency is expected to depreciate from an average 950.6 Congolese francs to the dollar in 2010 to 961.6 Congolese francs for 2011.

Congo is in the middle of a three-year programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), in which macroeconomic stability is a key part of securing its $550 million loan.

The country won $8.3 billion in debt relief this year, easing pressure on its annual debt service repayments, worth more than $500 million in 2011.

Muzito also reassured reporters of the Government's efforts to increase incoming revenue over time, the statement said.

·
The Urban Man
4,944 Posts
^^I do not mean to be cynical but the budget presented by A. Muzito is just an alignment of virtual figures whose impact on the provision of public goods will be, as usual, nil. The incompetence and corruption of those in power in the DRC have provoked in me all sorts of reactions: anger, disgust, despise…Now, I have reached a pretty high level of indifference to this sick joke.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^I do not mean to be cynical but the budget presented by A. Muzito is just an alignment of virtual figures whose impact on the provision of public goods will be, as usual, nil. The incompetence and corruption of those in power in the DRC have provoked in me all sorts of reactions: anger, disgust, despise…Now, I have reached a pretty high level of indifference to this sick joke.
The challenges seem endless but where and how do you start to sort out the problems? We need reforms in Security, Economy, Education, just about every government department there is but where do you start from.

The food situation is at an emergency level, the security situation is past the emergency level, electricity supply is at emergency levels, roads the same, water is not safe.

Also, how do we deal with the strangle hold that foreigners have over the country? What are the options?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Well said Puis. Nothing new at all.

Thanks,

Mulopwe

·
Bana Ya Signa 8
571 Posts
^^We have come to the understanding that we cannot equally allocate the resources to Security, Economy, Education et Cetera, hence we are tackling each area of reform according to our set priority. It comes down to what you think will develop the country the fastest combating the culture of impunity/corruption ? Security? Something else? I have no idea, but it could mean focusing solemnly on the chosen area whilst barely improving on the rest.

·
Registered
942 Posts
^^We have come to the understanding that we cannot equally allocate the resources to Security, Economy, Education et Cetera, hence we are tackling each area of reform according to our set priority. It comes down to what you think will develop the country the fastest combating the culture of impunity/corruption ? Security? Something else? I have no idea, but it could mean focusing solemnly on the chosen area whilst barely improving on the rest.
Combating impunity and corruption first then security and good governance.

Mulopwe

·
The Urban Man
4,944 Posts
The question still remains, how do we climb up from this deep, deep hole? Where does one begin reform?
Given the fact that the problem we are facing is of human nature (the failings of the political establishment as a whole), there is no short-term solution from within the system. A violent regime change (even a democratic change for that matter) will be of no help whatsoever because the members of the so-called opposition are part and parcel of the ethically decaying system. The structural change the country needs is a moral revolution and this cannot be attained overnight; it is going to be a long and painful process. So, where do we go from here?

In my opinion, the best available option in the short run is to bring international development partners (World Bank, IMF, EU, Paris Club, USA, China, Belgium, etc.) to exert massive and constant pressure on the ruling elite in order to force them into a modicum of good governance (in spite of themselves). No more blank check to fill budget deficit; proof of good governance must be put on the table not only on paper but also in deeds. This is an unfortunate proposition, but the DRC must be put in a de facto tutelage to save it from its political elite - in the short run.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Moral revolution well pointed out,
Every citizen needs to be informed of their rights and the also need to learn see the country first before themselves.
I know its hard to see this but this is the only way out of this.

with every citizen knowing their rights and whats expected from the government I hope this will help to destroy the corrupt system.
Who ever comes in charge next, I hope they can come with the kind of FEAR AS LAURENT KABILA BROUGHT.

People obey the law because they FEAR the punishment.
This is whats needed in our Country. Every one great or small needs to know they will be punished for their wrong doings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quet impressed about the prediction of 6.8 growth for 2011

but my worries are about the drc to have its own stock exchange, is there anyone thinking of doing that for our beloved country!

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Moral revolution well pointed out,
Every citizen needs to be informed of their rights and the also need to learn see the country first before themselves.
I know its hard to see this but this is the only way out of this.
D'après ce que j'ai pu voir quand j'étais dans ce pays, je pense que les gens sont tout de même conscients que le problème numéro 1 reste la corruption!

Mais pourquoi y a-t'il de la corruption? C'est la convergence de deux facteurs:

1. IMPUNITE: les gens savent qu'ils ne seront pas punis!
Comme vous le dîtes si bien: "Every one great or small needs to know they will be punished for their wrong doings."

2. INSECURITE: qu'elle soit juridique, légale, économique...

Les fameux "5 chantiers de la République" sont certes louables... Mais pour moi ils oublient ces deux leviers indispensables au développement d'un pays: la lutte contre l'impunité et l'insécurité. Et si le gouvernement ne fait pas savoir à sa population qu'il a la volonté CLAIRE de lutter contre ces deux fléaux, les gens continueront à croire que rien n'est fait.

Mais peut-être aussi que la démocratie n'est pas le système le plus adéquat pour lutter contre cette culture...

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
Mais peut-être aussi que la démocratie n'est pas le système le plus adéquat pour lutter contre cette culture...
It has nothing to do with democracy. It has to do with responsibility, patriotism , Competency . One can be democratic and have these 3 things.

This Congolese government has neither one of them.

One man can change the course of a nation.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
One man can change the course of a nation.
Maybe, maybe... But your sentence is not the adequate sentence to support democracy, don't you think?
Democracy is not the fact of ONE man, it is normally the power from the people to the people...

Sans vouloir faire le donneur de leçons occidental, je pense qu'attendre le "messie", l'homme "providentiel", celui qui viendra débarrasser le régime de la corruption, est illusoire.

Le changement ne peut venir QUE du peuple, que de la société en elle-même! S'il n'y a pas une société civile (civil society?) congolaise qui pousse à davantage de justice et de sécurité, alors les choses ne changeront pas. Et cette société civile, qu'est-ce que c'est? Les journalistes, les associations, les entrepreneurs, etc.

Y a-t-il des entrepreneurs actuellement au Congo? Pas beaucoup.
Les journalistes sont-ils en sécurité? L'assassinat de l'un d'entre eux il n'y a pas si longtemps laisse à penser le contraire...

Personnellement, d'après ce que j'ai pu voir durant les mois que j'ai passés dans ce pays, même si je voudrais être optimiste pour l'avenir du pays, je ne le pourrai pas.

I am quite pessimistic for the future of Congo...

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
We are not supposed to grow at this low rate. we are supposed to be growing in double digits (11-13% year) , with the minimum growth being at least 8.5%/year.

6% to me is bellow zero for a nation of this size (Land, population and resources wise).

·
Registered
248 Posts
one of the richest countries in africa in terms of minerals has to rely on outside sources to fund half of its budget????? something is wrong with african countries.....this nation should be the one of the giants of africa period.

·
美国: Rep KE
3,602 Posts
We are not supposed to grow at this low rate. we are supposed to be growing in double digits (11-13% year) , with the minimum growth being at least 8.5%/year.

6% to me is bellow zero for a nation of this size (Land, population and resources wise).
That should be their target I really do not see why they cannot. DRC has all it needs to top the chats; Cheap labour, mineral resources and growing skilled labour.

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
That should be their target I really do not see why they cannot. DRC has all it needs to top the chats; Cheap labour, mineral resources and growing skilled labour.
The greatest problems in this country is linked 3 things.
(1)Lack of security in the eastern parts of the country.
(2) Lack of Infrastructures (Interstate/province Highways/roads, decayed rail) . (3)the worst Bureaucracy on the continent (That should in the world and visionless leadership). Lack of Electricity.

·
Afritect
4,389 Posts
The greatest problems in this country is linked 3 things.
(1)Lack of security in the eastern parts of the country.
(2) Lack of Infrastructures (Interstate/province Highways/roads, decayed rail) . (3)the worst Bureaucracy on the continent (That should in the world and visionless leadership). Lack of Electricity.
you forgot to mention that a government also needs the skills capacity to implement some of these goals , no point investing a 1 billion on roads when the person in charge didn't even finish high school , he/she will probably eat the money not because there corrupt or greedy but they don't understand how to manage the assets :example south africa's government investment in infrastructure ,the money is there but can't be used

·
Mutu ya Chuma.
43,873 Posts
you forgot to mention that a government also needs the skills capacity to implement some of these goals , no point investing a 1 billion on roads when the person in charge didn't even finish high school , he/she will probably eat the money not because there corrupt or greedy but they don't understand how to manage the assets :example south africa's government investment in infrastructure ,the money is there but can't be used
Thats why i said Visionless leaderships. If we had someone like Moise Katumbi at the head of the nation, we would be growing in double digits. A man who understands the basics of development.

Not the central government we got now. Its like having next to nothing. Can you believe the central government distributed agriculture tractors to provinces and no province has used the tractors.:nuts:. Only Katanga has taken steps to increase it Agric production. whilst the rest nowthing, tractors are still stored:nuts:

Also states/provinces are not getting their retrocession money back.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Centralised power lead to poor performance. Individuals who work in central government have no real stake in the development of other regions. At least we must recognise that in order to move forward.

Hmm... a GDP growth of 6.8% what a joke! Does someone know the parts of GDP attributed to each sectors of our economy? Let's do the maths!
Solely with commodities bull run we should have created much more wealth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts