SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this story would be interesting, as I and a few others have posted Dr. Delay's articles on SSC in the past. Furthermore, I believe this move will further strengthen the partnership between the St. Pete Times and Bay News 9.
========================
Dr. Delay debuts on Bay News 9
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dr. Delay, AKA Lorrie Lykins, now writes a once-weekly column for Baynews9.com.

Let's face it: Driving can be painful.

Not the actual act of piloting a vehicle from point A to Point B of course, but the big-picture territory that comes with the act of folding one's body into a two-ton or so machine, turning a key and hitting the asphalt.

There is so much about driving in the Tampa Bay area - Florida's most densely populated region - that can be as aggravating as it is (sometimes) exhilarating.

Exhilarating, you ask? Yes. One of my favorite drives includes the Courtney Campbell Causeway at night - it's beautiful, especially when one is returning home from a long trip up north.

Landing at TIA and driving west almost always renews my sense of gratitude for living in such an extraordinarily beautiful setting. The ribbon of bridge arching over Tampa Bay illuminated by the moon reflected on the water is always a welcome sight.

But the reality is that our thoughts while driving are occupied largely by the downside which includes congestion, the insane price of gas, and inconsiderate drivers who can range from mildly annoying to outright abusive and even dangerous.

A recent nationwide survey conducted by IBM revealed that the top two issues cited by the survey participants as major sources of commuter frustration were start-stop traffic and aggressive drivers.

In fact, 42% of the drivers from the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area expressed frustration with start-stop traffic which tied the region with Atlanta, coming in second to Los Angeles. Our roads are starting to mirror the mess in L.A.? Apparently so.

As wonderful as it is to have the freedom that we enjoy in our society - the ability to hop in the car and go wherever we want to -- for many folks, commuting is a daily source of stress and anxiety.

In the four years I have authored the "Ask Dr. Delay" column for the St. Petersburg Times, it has been clear to me that driving is something that really unifies the community -the one commonality most of us share is driving. We are all out on the roads pretty much every day and we each have opinions and attitudes about our experiences.

My Dr. Delay e-mail inbox overflows daily. By authoring this weekly blog for Bay News 9, we hope to reach an even wider community to broaden the discussion about what our roadways say about who we are and where we're going.

So, what bugs you? Drop me a line and let me know. If you have questions, we'll try to get them answered. If you need to get something off your chest, this is place to do it. Hop in, fasten your seat belt and let's go for a spin.

Lorrie Lykins' column runs in the south Pinellas edition of the Neighborhood Times on Sundays. The Neighborhood Times is special section of the St. Petersburg Times.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/6/17/357702.html?title=Dr.+Delay+debuts+on+Bay+News+9

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.