SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe theres a thread about this? Anyway, this is Dragon Gate. It's a center for business people and tourists next to the E4 motorway at Älvkarleby about 165 kilometers north of Stockholm. Its is being built on the site of a former roadside restaurant. The first stage of the center was finished in October 21. The big building in the pictures is a hotel.

The whole thing is financed by Chinese businessman and billionare Jingchun Li, owner of the world’s largest mosquito repellent manufacturers. There's been a lot of critic against the project especially for the bad working conditions for the Chinese workers. The responsible construction company Latep was later fined 1,1 million SEK.

Unfortunately i don't have any good pictures of it. I found these at Flickr:

·
forumer #29
4,792 Posts
Sweden is also to have Europe's largest Buddhist temple! Way up in Åsele, the cennection being that the king of Siam went there back in the day when on a state-visit to Sweden. So it's of the Thai variety.

·
Registered
951 Posts
One strange thing with these Chinese establishements in Sweden is that they are built far from the biggest cities. Kalmar has a Chinese trade expo too. There are even plans to build a huge expo/shopping mall in smalltown Tanum (between Oslo and Göteborg).

I think the Chinese business people have poor understanding about doing business abroad. In expansive China it's probably viable to invest big in the middle of nowhere, but in Sweden? Nah.

Another interesting question is why they choose traditional architecture. It's fresh today but is it fresh tomorrow? IKEA is also trying to bring with them some swedish identity abroad but in a different way. they are constantly trying to be contemporary. Hmmm... interesting topic.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another interesting question is why they choose traditional architecture. It's fresh today but is it fresh tomorrow? IKEA is also trying to bring with them some swedish identity abroad but in a different way. they are constantly trying to be contemporary. Hmmm... interesting topic.
I agree. It's to stereotyped. I'd like something like this instead:

It's a shopping center in Budapest with the goal to introduce Asian (Chinese Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Singaporean, Indonesian etc.) products to the European retailers. It's quite similar to Dragon Gate in Älvkarleby. I read it has 100 000 visitors every week.

http://www.asiacenter.hu/

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sweden is also to have Europe's largest Buddhist temple! Way up in Åsele, the cennection being that the king of Siam went there back in the day when on a state-visit to Sweden. So it's of the Thai variety.
The temple in Fredrika isn't finished yet. The only thing that's finished is the statues next to it:

Besides from the Fredrika temple, there's a Thai pavilion in Rågunda municipality in Jämtland:

Well well, this was a little off topic. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
By the way... another off topic question. Is it true that it's not allowed to build mosques and other religious buildings in Denmark except churches?
No. Not at all. What gave you that idea? We have syngogues, temples and all that. But it is true (and that is maybe why you think it's forbidden), there are no purpose built mosques (except that little one in Rødovre or Hvidovre I think it is, someone correct me if possible). Though there are lots of buildings that function as mosques.

However, a while ago plans to built a mosque in Øresteden were presented. It will apparantly be one of the largest mosques in Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_of_Copenhagen

EDIT: BTW, that Dragon Gate project is so whacky I like it! :D Crazy renderings aswell. A bit tacky the entire thing, maybe - and the tall tower in the pictures looks like a commie block, a beijingian factory and an old chinese turret smashed together. But for some reason I find it quite charming right in the middle of Swedenland.

·
Scandinavian
38 Posts
haha that dragon gate project is grotesque. Passed it a few times when going down to Stockholm, and it's really hideous. At least as seen from the E4. Tacky and malplaced.

·
Registered
915 Posts
No. Not at all. What gave you that idea? We have syngogues, temples and all that. But it is true (and that is maybe why you think it's forbidden), there are no purpose built mosques (except that little one in Rødovre or Hvidovre I think it is, someone correct me if possible). Though there are lots of buildings that function as mosques.

However, a while ago plans to built a mosque in Øresteden were presented. It will apparantly be one of the largest mosques in Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_of_Copenhagen

EDIT: BTW, that Dragon Gate project is so whacky I like it! :D Crazy renderings aswell. A bit tacky the entire thing, maybe - and the tall tower in the pictures looks like a commie block, a beijingian factory and an old chinese turret smashed together. But for some reason I find it quite charming right in the middle of Swedenland.
Aha Ok!

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dagens Nyheter wrote about Dragon Gate today:

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=711883

"- Dragon Gate är bara början, berättar James Shi. Det kommer att vara navet i en kinesisk enklav i Mellansverige. Vi kallar det Mittens rike - mitt i Sverige. Nu planerar vi "Dragon City", en kinesisk stad i närheten. Hela regionen kommer att kallas Dragon Land.
James Shi vill bygga världens största Buddha och få hit en levande panda. "

Translation:

They plan to build a Chinese city next to Dragon Gate and the region will be called Dragon Land. :lol:

They also want to build the world's biggest Buddah and have a living Panda there. :weird:

·
Illustrator
6,584 Posts
^^That sounds weird! :lol:

But I must admit that the architecture is appealing in some strange way, probably because it is a great contrast to the stereotype Swedish style/architecture.:cheers:

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts
Dagens Nyheter wrote about Dragon Gate today:

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=711883

"- Dragon Gate är bara början, berättar James Shi. Det kommer att vara navet i en kinesisk enklav i Mellansverige. Vi kallar det Mittens rike - mitt i Sverige. Nu planerar vi "Dragon City", en kinesisk stad i närheten. Hela regionen kommer att kallas Dragon Land.
James Shi vill bygga världens största Buddha och få hit en levande panda. "

Translation:

They plan to build a Chinese city next to Dragon Gate and the region will be called Dragon Land. :lol:

They also want to build the world's biggest Buddah and have a living Panda there. :weird:
haha awesome. Hope they build it close to Uppsala so one could pay the buddha a visit :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts