1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Facts about Drammen

- County capital of Buskerud County
- Located 40 km southwest of Oslo, where Drammenselva meets the fjord
- Population: 60.000 in municipality, approx 90.000 in metro
- Important road, railway and seaport juncture

Short history of Drammen:

Drammen was founded in 1811, when Bragernes, on the north shore of Drammenselva, was joined with Strømsø and Tangen on the south shore into one municipality. Over the years the city have incorporated more of the surrounding areas (Skoger (to the south) and Åssiden (to the west) and covers today an area of 137 square km.

The main industry was for many years paper production along the river as well as other mechanical, textile and manufacturing industries. (This the historical reason why Drammen still is below the national average education level). Especially the textile industry imported during the 1960s very many unskilled laborers from Turkey to work in their mills. Today, people of turkish decent is the biggest minority group in Drammen.

In this tread I will try to cover both current projects, give an overview over projects dating back to around 2000 (in the city center) and a broader overview of the ongoing city redevelopment (including Veipakke Drammen).

Project map:

Legend:
Blue: Current (June 2009) projects
- Hotel Tollboden expansion
- NAV Drammen
- Comfort Union Hotel
- Øvre Sund bridge

Yellow: Recently completed
- Hotel Globus (refurbishment)
- Bragernes Strand
- Union Brygge kvartal 10

Light green: Older projects
- Engene Park
- Høytorget terrasse
- Gamle Kirkeplass
- Ypsilon bridge
- Papirbredden
- Union Pollen-kvartalet
- NRK-bygget
- Marienlyst Park
- Bueslaget
- Husbanken HQ
- Zitty

Dark green: New parks/boardwalks
- Holmenokken
- Bragernes Elvepark
- Strømsø elvepromenade

Red: Planned projects
- Parking Garage Skistadbygget
- Offices Bragernes

Everyone is of course welcome to contribute with facts, projects I've missed and photos:)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Nice with a Drammen thread :) Whats happen to the plans for Sundland? I know that the stadium plans have been putten on ice, and the proposal for the area looked like , just another apartment surburb...

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a quick look at the project website, and nothing have happened regarding Sundland and Gulskogen hageby in long time. The stadium was supposed to be the "locomotive" in the development...

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Construction update

This update is long overdue as the pictures are several weeks old by now...

1. Hotell Tollboden expansion

I have no idea what the new part of the hotel will look like, but at least they have a towercrane...

2. NAV Drammen

The building is toppet out by now. When completed, 300 people will work in this 11.000 sqm. building.

3. Comfort Union Hotel

This 8 floor, 12.000 sqm hotel will have 144 rooms when completed later this year or early next year.

4. Øvre Sund Bru

Øvre Sund Bru is the city ring's missing link and will complete (some expansion from 2 to 4 lanes remains) the road system in the inner city.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Thanks for the update:eek:kay:
Looks like Drammens city-development take a pretty urban direction, thats nice to see.

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the update:eek:kay:
Looks like Drammens city-development take a pretty urban direction, thats nice to see.
There are lots of underutilized plots in the city center, so very much of the last year's development have been on plots earlier used as parking or abandoned industry.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hope its ok that I contribute to the thread?

ROM Eiendom har inngått kontrakt med OKK Entreprenør AS om bygging av NSB- skolen på Sundland i Drammen.

Prosjektet er en totalentreprise. Byggets areal skal bli på 7.100 m2, fordelt på fem etasjer. NSB-skolen blir et lavenergibygg med planlagt tilført energi under 100 kwh/m2/år. Videre er det stor fokus på et godt innemiljø og universell utforming ved valg av løsninger.

- Dette er et meget utfordrende prosjekt å jobbe med. De strenge energikravene medfører spesielt strenge krav til valg av løsninger i prosjektering og utførelsen på byggeplass. Vi er svært glade for dette oppdraget, og ser frem til et godt og nært samarbeide med ROM Eiendom, sier Erling Langeland, Prosjektdirektør i OKK Entreprenør AS.

NSB-skolen, som er tegnet av Alt Arkitektur AS, har ansvaret for opplæring av alle konduktører og lokomotivførere i NSB. Mye av opplæringen vil foregår ved hjelp av praktisk trening med blant annet togsimulator som plasseres i bygget.

Arbeidene skal være ferdigstilt i juni 2010.

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strømsø bydel is to become a showcase for environmentally friendly city development.

From today's Drammens Tidene:
Drammen skal være med på den store by- og boligutstillingen. Utstillingen skal vise miljøvennlig og nyskapende arkitektur i full størrelse, og utstillingsområdet blir Strømsø hvor det skal bygges miljøvennlige bygg(...)
And the project for transforming Strømsø Torg (just south of Bybrua in that picture) was ofically launched today by the mayor. The project have a price tag of 100 million NOK.
Video http://dt.no/section/VIDEO/1216&id=7094

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updates

Some more info about Strømsø torg (mentioned in previous post)

Phase 1 is to be completed in time for Drammen's 200 year anniversary in 2011, and phase 2 in 2012

A few recent pictures

Nedre Torggate upgrade

Rendering from Steen & Lund
Nedre Torggate is the main pedestrian street in Drammen, and will be upgraded during 2009-2010

Pictures:

Current situation (after the trees were cut down)

And...

The Airport Express train (Flytoget) have finally arrived in Drammen. From Sunday 30. August, their western terminus will be Drammen. The train will use around 60 minutes from Drammen to Gardermoen, and will have 2 departures every hour (3 later this year).

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
You're doing a nice job on this thread. Just wan't you to know it's highly appriciated, though none of us have really contributed much here.
You're giving a nice and neutral presentation of the projects. If I were to make a thread like this of my hometown, I would probably use half of the space ranting and wining about the decisions i didn't agree too.:lol:

Just a question. With the arrival of the airport express train, is Gardermoen now the closest airport to Drammen, or is it still faster to travel from Torp?

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its pretty much the same. By train, Torp is also around 1 hour away (not included the bus from the station to the airport terminal). The completion of Bærumstunnelen and the Barkåker-Tønsberg parcel won't change the difference much either.

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Papirbredden expansion

Papirbredden, the building that houses the University College of Buskerud and the city library, needs to expand. Developer Entra Eiendom wants to build between 15.000 and 18.000 on the adjancent parking lot. (current building is 21.000 sqm). They hope to attract research institutions, Colleges (HiBU, HiT and BI) and other public services.

The regulation plans allows for a 31 metres tall/9 floor building.

More in local newspaper Drammens Tidene here

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grønland 55

Lpo, the architect behind NAV-bygget is hired by Union Eiendom to draw another project on Union. On the adjacent plot Union Eiendom wants to develop 25.000 sqm of office.

If someone wants to post some pictures from the LPO site, you're more than welcome.

Project description here.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
I think it looks very good, and the location is also nice. It will also improve the area with another planed river-crossing!

If someone wants to post some pictures from the LPO site, you're more than welcome.
What, you're getting lazy now? Not good! You have commited yourself to keeping this thread, and you should know we all have great expectations of you!

Ok, you're off this time. Here it is (the project is the long building at the lower part of the render):

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a little lazy earlier today (yesterday by now). But I had a hunch you would take the bite;)

The river crossing, Øvre Sund Bru, is currently under construction and will be completed by 2011. They're doing the foundation and on-land concrete work around now.

·
Scandi-friendly
7,733 Posts
Well, that's when you know why I have more than twice as many posts as you:nuts:

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A new residential project in the city center is up for sale these days. So far 11 out of the 29 apartments have been sold, and construction is expected to start in early 2010.

The five storey building will be buildt in a style similar to an adjacent building, have a small playground in the backyard as well as a 320 sqm rooftop terrace.

3 smaller wooden houses will be torn down to the protests from protectionist (one of them was on the City's yellow list IIRC).

More info here

News story from DT here

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
^^Looks pretty good.

Just have to ask. Ive seen renders for Sundland before which seems to be stopped some years ago.
Do you know if this: http://alt.as/prosjekt.php?id=21 are a new plans (looks really good IMO) or just a proposal from earlier?

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. Those renders looks pretty good, but I don't know if they are older or newer. Latest news was yet another delay, but I'm really looking forward to see the regulation plan proposal when its made public...

1 - 20 of 257 Posts