SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
For what seems such an unremarkable building, its removal from the skyline will make a huge difference, creating a distinct space between St Paul's and the future defined City cluster which will seperate and define the two on the skyline from Waterloo Bridge.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm pleased this is going, it's been an eyesore for a long time now, i'm sure some people are partial to it but i've always felt that a few of the older mid
rise's have been a bit of an embarrasment.

The new project should look clean and tidy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wasn't there a similar in size and appearence tower in the city that was demolished at some point? really can't remember what that was called but am sure i read that at it's time it was the tallest ever demolished (in the uk)

·
946 Posts
Skid-Mark said:
Wasn't there a similar in size and appearence tower in the city that was demolished at some point? really can't remember what that was called but am sure i read that at it's time it was the tallest ever demolished (in the uk)

99 Bishopsgate looked similar to Drapers Gardens before it got obliterated in the IRA Bishopsgate bomb, it got reclad and reopened in the late 1990's.

·
Registered
991 Posts
No what i actually was reffering to was limebank house which was 93m, it too was in the city, looked a bit like 20 fenchurch.

·
BLAND
8,859 Posts
I will truely miss this building....I wish it was not so close to st.pauls...still I helped to get it a longer life back in the eighties! I also fear a situation that for every new tower we gain, we lose one somewhere else....what would be the point of that...just less towers to loathe or love!

·
LONDON - Westminster
2,841 Posts
The problem (from the perspective of the developers) with the old building was that it only occupied 1/4 of the total site. Basically the whole site is covered by a huge plinth (mainly garages and plant) but the main building's footprint is quite small in comparison. Banks want to have big trading floors and that is what the new building will provide. To be honest, whilst the building is probably one fo the finer 60's buildings, the current plinth does not relate to the surrounding buildings at all.

·
Weaste Infection
701 Posts
woohoo!

out with the old and in with the new

glad to see the back of this disgraceful building, the new one looks very nice :)

·
Futurist
38,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Skid-Mark said:
No what i actually was reffering to was limebank house which was 93m, it too was in the city, looked a bit like 20 fenchurch.
You can see Limebank House on the far left of this pic, taken from the Monument -

·
BLAND
8,859 Posts
I understand a bit more now, but I still wish they would just remodel the top to make it less intrusive and use the space at the base and sell apartments in it.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Im sad to see this one go to, it's definately one of the better 60s midrises, I far rather that lump of crap Angel Court be demolished, I understand the beef with the way it impinges on the dome of St. Pauls, but still. I also don't want the city to lose all it's mid-rises from the 60s/70s, I think they will form an intersting contrast when we get the likes of 122, heron, bishopsgate tower, they represent a stage in the evolution of the City skyline.

·
Aerial Erector
1,492 Posts
I too wish it wasnt going, I know its shabby but it is 100m tall and just needs sand blasting- like most concrete buildings (esp Guys)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Trouble is, all of the 60/70's midrise's generally look poor, even st helens which is arguably the best of the lot really start's to look dated now, it's hard to imagine that any of these complimented the city when situated next to the splender of the Georgian/regency/victorian buildings around them.

·
Jubilation
18,789 Posts
Its a shame, I like Draper's Gardens and would place it second behind Centrepoint in my list of favourite concrete towers in London. I think it has an elegant floorplate, but I do agree that its too intrusive on St Paul's viewed from Waterloo Bridge. I'm dubious about replacing it with something just 26m shorter though, its still a pretty hefty height and will still have an impact on St Paul's.

Hopefully during demolition it'll topple over and take out Angel Court too?

1 - 20 of 545 Posts