Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Its former glory forever will be a thing of the past :'( Thank you GB!

·
***H***
4,552 Posts
Florence don´t stand a serious chance against the stunning beauty of Dresden
Completely disagree.

I like Dresden in these pictures. But in my real experience, when I was there, Dresden looked grey and depressing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I do like Leipzig and Dresden and why not? You can like both even if they are very different!

And to say Florence doesn't have a chance against the beauty of Dresden today - that's just ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I do like Leipzig and Dresden and why not? You can like both even if they are very different!

And to say Florence doesn't have a chance against the beauty of Dresden today - that's just ridiculous!
^^ I agree, no need to compare cities, this "who has it longer competition" is senseless... Fortunately, each person has its own taste and there are cities for everyone, no matter how much influenced by ridiculous nationalismus can someone be.

The pics are great! ;)

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Completely disagree.

I like Dresden in these pictures. But in my real experience, when I was there, Dresden looked grey and depressing.

That slogan was coined before WWII! Of course Dresden now, after the destruction, doesn't stand a chance against the unharmed beauty of Florence.

I don't like slogans like "Florence on the Elbe" or "Venice of the North" or " Paris of the East" at all! Those actually suggest, that a city can't stand on it's own and is just a cheap copy of the other more famous city. Reading this thread's title, I was already rolling my eyes. Really bad advertisement in my book!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
That slogan was coined before WWII! Of course Dresden now, after the destruction, doesn't stand a chance against the unharmed beauty of Florence.
It didn't stand a chance even before Dresden was sadly and senselessly bombed. Dresden was and is still becoming beautiful and much credit must go to those who are rebuilding it, however Dresden like most other cities beyond the Alps take much of their architectural and urban design inspiration from classical and renaissance cities of Italy and Greece. That goes as far as St Petersburg, Stockholm, Copenhagen and beyond, throughout the world. And on top of that many of the architects of the greatest buildings in central and northern Europe were Italian or others trained in Italy.

I don't like slogans like "Florence on the Elbe" or "Venice of the North" or " Paris of the East" at all! Those actually suggest, that a city can't stand on it's own and is just a cheap copy of the other more famous city. Reading this thread's title, I was already rolling my eyes. Really bad advertisement in my book!
Well not really. When we call Edinburgh the 'Athens of the North' or the other superlatives you mentioned it has a particular meaning usually tied to something very positive, like cultural capital, architectural beauty or environmental character (canal city) etc. It's not a bad thing, on the contrary, and it does often indicate where the original idea may have come from. Paris was the first grand modern metropolis and when Budapest applied similar urban transformation principals of grand boulevards and architecture (opera, squares etc), it got its much lauded monicker of 'Paris of the East'.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

No one forces you to look at this gallery! How I do rename my picture galleries, I can always decide himself!

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
^^
Okay...And now calm down! XD

Well not really. When we call Edinburgh the 'Athens of the North' or the other superlatives you mentioned it has a particular meaning usually tied to something very positive, like cultural capital, architectural beauty or environmental character (canal city) etc. It's not a bad thing, on the contrary, and it does often indicate where the original idea may have come from. Paris was the first grand modern metropolis and when Budapest applied similar urban transformation principals of grand boulevards and architecture (opera, squares etc), it got its much lauded monicker of 'Paris of the East'.
Well, not really. :) I was talking about my view on such slogans ans that I personally don't like them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^
Okay...And now calm down! XD
It is not meant any harm. I just do not want a long debate about the name of the gallery! The images should be in focus.

But generally it is striking that start with the topic DRESDEN always great debate. Be it here or in our German forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts