SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DRESDEN, most beautiful city of Germany? (Pics)

DRESDEN, even very underrated, it is perhaps the most beautiful city in Germany. As most of you know, it was almost completely destroyed in WWII...

Here are some awsome pics I searched just for you in Google. ;-)

Dresden waterfront:

Altstadt:

New and old symbol of Dresden:

More Pics are coming soon. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
IMO: No.
Of course, the historic quarter of Dresden (shown in the pictures) is unique and gorgeous. Some districts along the Elbe valley are as well. But in the rest of the city the wounds of World War II are still deep, and the urban redevelopment during the GDR era didn´t help improving the city´s urbanistic quality.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Puntagorda, Yes, that might be true... :-(
But Dresden has now the chance to get a part of its old beauty back. Theres some serious renovation and reconstruction going on.

·
47,134 Posts
Dresden used to be the most beautiful city in Germany before the bombardment. The pictures are taken in a small area that reminds us of the past greatness of the city.

Keep the pictures coming, also from different parts of the city!

·
Registered
616 Posts
one of my favourite cities and definitely the best in eastern germany besides berlin!

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Beautiful indeed !

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
If the whole city was like this before WW2 then it must have easily been one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
I heard somewhere that Churchill ordered the flattening of Dresden as a punishment for the flattening of Coventry and that there was not much of military importance there, it was just pure revenge. Is that true? If so Churchill may have helped win the war but he was a bastard!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts