SkyscraperCity banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
122,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The decision to stop in Dresden was not my idea. Rather, it was suggested by fellow HK forumer InitialD18. It was a great decision. The city was small enough to cover in a short period of time and there was a lot of stuff to cover.

·
122,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Irish Blood English Heart said:
Im travelling from Berlin to Prague next month and have a day to spend, should I stop off in Dresden?
You can either stop in Dresden or Leipzig. Dresden is a great city for a short stopover and it breaks up the Berlin - Prague train ride in half.

·
Optimum
9,977 Posts
urbane said:
Very nice (and famous) palace.

Maybe this thread should be in the classical architecture subforum though.
Exactly. Dresden is surely a city that should be seen in a history textbook rather than a skyscraper guide.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
steppenwolf said:
beautiful... the only problem is that you have no idea what's old and what's new there?
haha! :-D

But yeah, Dresden will be a very beautiful city in the near future again.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Marcus87 said:
I'm wondering, have they re-built all or at least most of the buildings that were destroyed in the WW2 bombing?
After the war they started rebuiling just the most important buildings, like the Zwinger, Semperopera, the Castle and some of the bigger buildings more...they did not reconstruct the Frauenkirche or normal houses though. But I think the skyline on the river front was almost rebuilt completely. (without the dome of the Frauenkirche).
Since reunification they startet again rebuilding the city center with Taschenbergpalais and Coselpalais and of course the Frauenkirche(!!!). When they finish the Neumarkt (market square) and the Kurlaenderpalais the heart of Dresden will be almost complete again. Outside that area Dresden will surely never be the same...
But if you are on the "Theaterplatz" or "Brühlsche Terasse" you can almost believe the bombing did never happen...

If you are interested in pictures of the reconstruction of the Neumarkt you can visit this webside:
http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/
There are always new pics and information. Unfortunately just in german!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.