SkyscraperCity banner

81 - 100 of 588 Posts

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
thanks as always for the comments you guys!! :)

Zailsingh said:
Ferrari Fan,
The picture which hindustani posted above it a stunning one.Terrific angle.The boats doesn't look that strong and sturdy. Can they withstand a strong current.
well, they're not the sturdiest, but i guess they have to be light-weight so they can be rowed up the river..

just for info, a 1-hour trip up the river costs Rs. 600, but when you see how much the rowers have to struggle to move against the river current, it makes it seem well worth the price - when you go upstream, after a point, they even ask you not to put your hands in the water, coz it makes it that much harder to row!!

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Day 7 :

ok, this is a big day - on Day 7 we went from Gwalior to Delhi via Agra..

unfortunately, as i said before, we didn't get to see much of Gwalior because our schedule was thrown out of gear by MP's bad roads.. but still we managed to catch a few glimpses of the town on our way out early in the morning..

luckily, missing out on Gwalior seemed nothing when we thought of the places we'd be seeing over the day ahead of us..

now for the pics..

leaving Gwalior, pretty nice roads..

these weird looking Tempos were everywhere in MP.. this is the first one i managed to click.

the famous Gwalior Fort far away - i took this from the car at max zoom, so pardon the blurriness..

out of Gwalior now, onto a 4-laned blast to Agra..

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Day 7 :

through the Chambal valley - still infamous for its dacoits, or so i heard.. to make their noble work easier, the road conveniently becomes 1-laned for a short spell.. :)

the huge Chambal river..

back to 4-laned road after crossing the river..

entering Agra town now.. btw, i found Agra to have frankly dreadful roads and directions - it took us mor than half an hour to find the Taj, and direction markers started appearing only very close to the monument itself, by which time we had managed to figure it out ourselves..

all in all, a dreadful little town, which is shocking, since it's home to the world's greatest monument..

Agra roads..

a small dhaba just outside the Taj Mahal complex. we had breakfast there. plus the best lassi i've ever had. period.

the next couple of posts are pics from inside the Taj Mahal complex.

·
28,068 Posts
ferrari_fan said:
btw, i found Agra to have frankly dreadful roads and directions - it took us mor than half an hour to find the Taj, and direction markers started appearing only very close to the monument itself, by which time we had managed to figure it out ourselves..

all in all, a dreadful little town, which is shocking, since it's home to the world's greatest monument..
Agreed! Agra is one of the worst cities in India. It is a reflection of what kind of useless governments and administrations we have. Of course the residents also should share the blame equally. It is kind of like Old Delhi - a city where backwardness and ugliness is the order of the day despite all the heritage. Anywhere else in the world, a city with one of the world's most magnificent buildings, would have some minimal amount of cleanliness and orderliness.

It is a top tourist atttraction. Wonder where all the tourist money goes? In the pockets of the Babus and the Netas probably.

Agra's closest competitor in uncleanliness is the other tourist mecca - the holy city of Varanasi.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Suncity said:
Agreed! Agra is one of the worst cities in India. It is a reflection of what kind of useless governments and administrations we have. Of course the residents also should share the blame equally. It is kind of like Old Delhi - a city where backwardness and ugliness is the order of the day despite all the heritage. Anywhere else in the world, a city with one of the world's most magnificent buildings, would have some minimal amount of cleanliness and orderliness.

It is a top tourist atttraction. Wonder where all the tourist money goes? In the pockets of the Babus and the Netas probably.

Agra's closest competitor in uncleanliness is the other tourist mecca - the holy city of Varanasi.
tourist money meaning Rs900 for a foreigner to Enter Taj mahal compared to Rs 25/30(or have they increased recently?)for a normal indian. The city is a real nightmare..

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
yeah, it's really sad that a city that should be thriving on its tourism industry should have such appalling tourist infra.. i mean, it's just so unwelcoming to outsiders, unless you come in with a tour agent who knows how things work..

if i was a tourist from abroad on my first visit to the place, my first instinct would be to get the hell back home - you get surrounded by 'professional' guides who won't take no for an answer, the entry fees are a rip off for foreign nationals, and frankly, outside the monuments themselves, the town is a hot, dusty, dirty, ghastly mess..

we've got heritage and monuments and culture that people from across the world would love to see, and we go and throw it all away because we haven't got a clue about how to develop such places..

in any other country, Agra would have been a beautiful city with good comfortable public transport, tons of greenery and parks and walkways, and overall, it would be an enjoyable place to relax and enjoy the sights..

Agra as a city shocked me - the Taj was of course beautiful, but it deserves far better hometown than the one it's stuck with..

·
28,068 Posts
It is kind of sad how tourists (especially foreigners) are harrassed in Indian tourist places like Agra, Delhi etc. The touts are pests and everybody wants to cheat and rip off the tourist. The professional beggars are like leeches. People come with great expectations about Indian Culture and what they see is piles of garbage everywhere, no discipline, overcrowding, jostling, pushing and things falling apart. And if you are a female tourist then there is the Romeo brigade too. There are few mid priced good hotels. Either they are luxury which few tourists can afford or hell holes that should have been closed down by the government long ago.

BTW two google earth views of the Taj and the Agra Fort.

Zooming into the Taj Area. Many of the luxry hotels are around here.

and the airport area

Sorry ferrari for going off topic. Just thought some google earth layouts would give an idea of the city spread.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Hi Ferrari, nice work. Ya, I also felt the same like you during the agra visit, but thank god, it was winter..

I would like to know a little more about your trip, thatz which car you were travelling, driving pattern, co drivers, mileage etc. Was it a Toyota Innova? Hope your next drive is to Kerala, even if it is very short for you. :)

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Suncity said:
Sorry ferrari for going off topic. Just thought some google earth layouts would give an idea of the city spread.
not at all dude.. that's really useful info for me as well.. please add in anything you feel will be useful whenever you're free..

thanks! :)

sudeeshnairs said:
Hi Ferrari, nice work. Ya, I also felt the same like you during the agra visit, but thank god, it was winter..

I would like to know a little more about your trip, thatz which car you were travelling, driving pattern, co drivers, mileage etc. Was it a Toyota Innova? Hope your next drive is to Kerala, even if it is very short for you.
thanks sudeesh!

about your questions:

yes, it was an Innova!! a red 7-seater, petrol to be specific..

driving pattern: well, since our whole family went on the trip ( me, my sis, parents and grandparents), we tried to keep the driving time to a minimum for each day, so we travelled approxly 6~7 hours per day.. that roughly translates to about 450 to 500 kms per day, although some days were longer..

co-drivers: well, mostly my dad - he took on about 6000kms of the total of 8000kms - i drove the remaining 2000 odd.. my folks didn't want me to take on too much coz it was my first highway drive.. (i'm 19 now)

mileage: we got about 11~12 kpl which isn't that great, but since the car was fully loaded with people and luggage, it isn't all that bad for a petrol..

and finally, about Kerala, we really wanted to include it in this trip itself, but just couldn't find the time.. shocking that i've been only as far as Thrishur in Kerala - definitely on my to-do list for the next hols.. :)

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Day 7 (contd.) :

after we were done with the Taj, our next stop was the Fatehpur Sikri fort..

it's a good distance from the city centre, and took us about 45 mins to reach from the Taj..

on the road to Fatehpur Sikri

we arrive at the fort's imposing outer wall

nearing the main fort itself

the steep flight of steps leading to the humungous darwaza of the fort

more assorted shots from the fort, which i haven't labelled

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Day 7 (contd.) :

from Fatehpur Sikri, we were headed for Delhi (yay!).. it was gonna be a long drive back to Agra town, followed by annoying city traffic, and so we were glad when a truck driver told us about this village road that would put us directly onto the Agra-Delhi highway from Fatehpur Sikri..

unfortunately, the road turned out to be extremely narrow, had a few bad patches, and was also quite a long route - finally, we didn't gain any time at all, but at least we didn't lose too much, and plus we got to see some real village roads for the first time..

now onto the 4-laned Agra-Delhi highway

the Mathura refinery

more of the highway

entering Faridabad - our first sight of one of Delhi's mega-suburbs on this trip..

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
ferrari_fan said:
thanks sudeesh!

about your questions:

yes, it was an Innova!! a red 7-seater, petrol to be specific..

driving pattern: well, since our whole family went on the trip ( me, my sis, parents and grandparents), we tried to keep the driving time to a minimum for each day, so we travelled approxly 6~7 hours per day.. that roughly translates to about 450 to 500 kms per day, although some days were longer..

co-drivers: well, mostly my dad - he took on about 6000kms of the total of 8000kms - i drove the remaining 2000 odd.. my folks didn't want me to take on too much coz it was my first highway drive.. (i'm 19 now)

mileage: we got about 11~12 kpl which isn't that great, but since the car was fully loaded with people and luggage, it isn't all that bad for a petrol..

and finally, about Kerala, we really wanted to include it in this trip itself, but just couldn't find the time.. shocking that i've been only as far as Thrishur in Kerala - definitely on my to-do list for the next hols.. :)

Great Man, a family trip..with parents & grandparents, and this much distance.. :)

I was thinking about this as a bunch of youngsters on prowl, perhaps because of my mindset. I was used to such trips only, esp if it is a long distance one..

Glad to know that my judgement about the car has come true, as it being an Innova.. :) I am an automobile enthusiast (only Indian made & practical in normal life) and thus guessed it. Anyway your photos seems to be taken in such a way so as not to reveal the identity of the vehicle. Ya, I knew from your pics that it was red coloured. I guessed it is an Innova from the camera position as well as the window in one of your shots. And the surprise is that it was a petrol one as it is a rare minority among Innovas. The mileage of 11-12 kpl is indeed great, for a petrol driven vehicle, that too as big as an Innova.

Looking forward to more and more pics. BTW it seems you need a break from the typical indian country scenes as you have showcased here, dry, dusty, barren. So next time, you head straight to the western coast, Kerala, Goa etc o.k? :)

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
thanks sudeesh, and don't worry, coz dry, dusty north-central India is done with - after Delhi, we head for Himachal!! :)

the west coast is there too - on days 19 through 23 of the trip.. as i said, we unfortunately missed out on Kerala though..

cheers, and keep writing in.. feels great to receive positive feedback from all of you guys!! :colgate:

·
Forza!
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Day 7 (contd.) :

further into the city now, onto one of Delhi's innumerable flyovers

now heading east through Sarita Vihar, towards Noida where we stayed with my uncle.. no dearth of construction activity as you can see..

the first time i ever saw a CNG filling station

bridge across the Yamuna River

the *ahem* Yamuna 'river' - more like a large lake now as far as i could see..

great roads leading into Noida

and that's it for day 7.. we'd got all the way to the capital from Chennai by road - something not too many people have been lucky enough to do..

we spent the next 2 days enjoying Delhi, which you'll see in the next few posts..

·
Cov Boy
4,063 Posts
Agra

Wonderful pics!!

Really impressed with the roads, I think thats a great improvement.

Liked the ariel pics of the Taj Mahal & you could see on the other side of the river the site of the Black Taj Mahal which never got built + the bridge linking it! shame as it would be the ultimate 7 wonders of the world.

I agree with the comments of Agra, when I saw Agra & the Taj Mahal in 1999 I thought it was very busy and an expanding industrial centre, a mess basically and awful.

Agra lets the Taj Mahal down and the other monuments i.e. Agra Fort. But when you enter the Taj Mahal complex you immediately forget Agra and enter a surene environment and the Taj takes your breath away. I did read somewhere Agra is getting a make over????

I hate those Tempo's!! They are awful and should be banned.

81 - 100 of 588 Posts