SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
WARREN
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree people in Sydney are such massive snobs who judge you by suburbs, and you'd lose all your friends if you moved out west, it seems it's hard to get people to want to live in some northern Mounty suburb.

If more people moved to these places, it would gentrify them and improve the general standard of residents however. But most of the places on this list aren't exactly desirable suburbs:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/drop-suburb-snobbery-sydney-told-20090725-dwv3.html

Drop suburb snobbery, Sydney told
Alex Brooks
July 26, 2009

SYDNEYSIDERS must lose their suburb snobbery or face ever-increasing housing affordability problems, a leading property forecaster warns.

"Sydney people are totally preoccupied with where they live and they need to trade down their expectations, especially if they want their kids to live in this city," said BIS Shrapnel property forecaster Robert Mellor.

Australian Property Monitors has uncovered 20 Sydney suburbs where it's cheaper to buy than rent, yet plenty of Sydneysiders still complain the city is too expensive.

"People in Sydney think if they can't afford a five-acre property near the beach then it's unaffordable, but it's just not true," said SQM Research head Louis Christopher.

The obsession with inner-city living is also driving up rents in so-called affordable areas to unprecedented levels, experts say.

Rental vacancy figures compiled by SQM, an independent property researcher, show houses in the more expensive suburbs are being left vacant while those in affordable areas are in short supply.

"There's something very wrong when we have an oversupply of [rental] property in expensive areas but an undersupply in the affordable areas - the market is not being efficient," Mr Christopher said.

Just Rent Sydney founder Michelle Galletti says top-end rentals in premium inner-west or eastern suburbs are being discounted by up to 50 per cent to attract tenants.

"We had a house in the inner west that went from $2000 a week to $1000 a week," Ms Galletti said.

Mr Christopher said rental vacancy rates in affordable suburbs such as Liverpool and Penrith are less than 2 per cent, which means rents are likely to rise.

Demographer Bernard Salt says Sydney's housing capacity is in the west, but Sydney is obsessed with driving up prices in city and harbourside suburbs.

"Sydney pegs people by geography in a way no other city does. Melbournites might peg you by the school you went to, but Sydneysiders are judgmental about which suburbs you live in," he said.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
The obsession with inner-city living is also driving up rents in so-called affordable areas to unprecedented levels, experts say.
So the Govt. solution is to release more sprawl? Makes sense :nuts:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Are these figures realistic?
Could I actually go out and buy the 250k house and use the rent to pay off the mortgage with $100 left over for me?

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,521 Posts
What? Im from Sydney and havent heard of half those suburbs.

You mean theres worse now than Mt Druitt or Macquarie Fields?

I could move back to Sydney tomorrow but I wont because I get a million times better quality of life here and now than I ever would back home. I am definately not gonna tighten my belt with a move to this Whalan you speak of just so I can own my house freehold within 5 years.

·
963 Posts
Willmot, Lethrbidge Park, Whalan, Tregear, Bidwill are all located very close to Mount Druitt, and i think they are apart of Mount Druitt actually, I grew up around those areas, and i think even with the price they are, I would NEVER move back there.

·
963 Posts
^^ Dont worry you don't, that area deserves to be frowned apon. Just search mount druitt on google maps and youll see those are its neighbouring suburbs.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I went to St Mary's and Werrington which are located in Western Sydney 3 years ago. Not a great place to live.

·
963 Posts
Yeh they arent very nice areas. probably the best area around the far west would have to be Penrith/Glenmore Park, but probably even the sprawl suburbs to the north west such as Stanhope Gardens, Acacia Gardens, Parklea, Kellyville Ridge, Bella vista and Beumont Hills are better.

·
WARREN
8,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^ Kellyville Ridge? I suppose it might be alright if you're a a christian family and want a McMansion, but sounds like hell on earth to me. So far away from everything, totally car dominated sprawl.

I'd take Werrington/St Marys over there any day. I'm not sure what Glenmore Park is like but everything about it sounds yucky.

And out of the SMH's 10 suburbs, I'd pick Villawood if I had to. Not as far out as some of the others, has a train service, doesn't have a "bronx" anymore. Still a bit of a hole though.

·
okay then
6,414 Posts
Interesting timing... I had been looking through some old threads last week, and came across this:

Why don't you inform Avatar about all the wonder things Mt Duitt has to offer Petermaloney?
I'm sure he'll have a nice long read about all the wondeful things.
I can do that. I pass it regularly on the train (which fortunately never stops there).

There is:
The Water Works. Unfortunately it won’t get you in much of a “mood” as it’s derelict with everything ripped out except concrete, grass and a mound of earth. Sometimes there are some antique cars in the parking lot which have been remodelled at high speed by local sculptors. Sometimes they have been so remodelled that there are no tires or windows but only black metal. I think they use a special heat treatment.

Then there is the suburb of Bidwell. Let’s not go there though – metaphorically and literally speaking.

There is lots of colourful youth artwork on any bare surface. They are so passionate and their quality of work so high that anyone who has a spare surface hands it over to the local artistic community. This handover process involves no communication between the artists and property owners. It is common knowledge that any surface is blank media for the work.

Shopping: Very Unique. A few years back now (God knows how long actually) the central shopping block was converted to a kinda of new age shopping centre that transcends physical form. I.e., it’s a mind thing, no physical shopping is necessary. It’s actual physical form is a large concrete slab with very uneven edges surround by a very interesting wire structure with this curly cable with quite prickly thorny pieces intertwined. Sometimes, the local artistic community (i.e., the colourful mural creators and car sculptors) enter in physical form and rearrange as much of the site as possible).

Traditionally, Mt Druitt has also been a centre of innovative shopping experiences. A strong community and charity minded spirit of local retailers working together with their valued customers - who always have their customers’ best interest at heart – has provided the Mt Druitt community with one of most successful social enrichment schemes. This is a savings scheme whereby a parent (the scheme is so good it only requires one) can make payments from their hard earned social security cheque towards otherwise unattainable goals such as pure wool ugg boots, pink parkers and play stations instead of wasting it on such frivolities as school books, breakfast and electricity bills. If for some reason you cannot make a payment that is OK – the retailers are flexible and will allow you to divert your money to more pressing needs such as cigarettes, canned bourbon and coke, and local charity deposit machines in the many fun gaming rooms. They will even hold onto all the money you have previously given them.

The retail district is also a great place to see the highly sophisticated family dispute resolution system. It’s a highly public ritual that involves high pitched wailing punctuated by 3 particular monosyllabic calls that start with either “f”, “sh” or “k” sounds. The most sophisticated forms can even be quite physical. The whole family is encouraged to use this ritual from the time children first learn to speak.
:hilarious

·
963 Posts
^^ Kellyville Ridge? I suppose it might be alright if you're a a christian family and want a McMansion, but sounds like hell on earth to me. So far away from everything, totally car dominated sprawl.

I'd take Werrington/St Marys over there any day. I'm not sure what Glenmore Park is like but everything about it sounds yucky.

And out of the SMH's 10 suburbs, I'd pick Villawood if I had to. Not as far out as some of the others, has a train service, doesn't have a "bronx" anymore. Still a bit of a hole though.
If you want to live in a comission home then choose Saint Marys, but i think youd prefer Penrith over Werrington, while its further away from the city, its more deseriable, the public transport is good, its VERY close to the Blue Mountains, and its close to its town/shopping district. I agree though, id pick Villawood too.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
If you want to live in a comission home then choose Saint Marys, but i think youd prefer Penrith over Werrington, while its further away from the city, its more deseriable, the public transport is good, its VERY close to the Blue Mountains, and its close to its town/shopping district. I agree though, id pick Villawood too.
When i saw a prison on the campus of University of Western Sydney in Werrington, that reveals a lot about the area.

·
963 Posts
^^ Haha thats funny.. And to all those Melb people who think Melbournes west is a giant hole, just go take a look at far west Sydney, or atleast explore with street view.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
^ Cobham Remand Centre (i.e. juvy) is not on the campus of UWS.

Don't pretend you know everything about westie Sydney Miliux just because you once visited it 3 years ago ;)

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Villawood Detention Centre is less than 200m from Chester Hill High.

Parklea Prison is less than 200m from neighbouring houses.

Yasmar Juvenile Detention Centre is at Haberfield (omg very european), backs onto Haberfield Primary (very convenient) and is surrounded by residential properties.

your point?

1 - 20 of 272 Posts