Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I never really cared much about this construction (though the construction site is pretty large and very central) until I noticed which architecture company was working on this. DHK :)

I'll take a few pictures of the site when I go past there again. I don't really know anything concrete about this project, except for it being a hotel+leisure venture and it having possible support from the Rupert Family (Anton Rupert was born in GRT.)

Though pretty exciting and can't wait to see how it looks when finished. Hopefully it will improve upon and not take away the historic impact the area previously had.

Reactions: Pule

·
Jakes1
3,672 Posts
This was the first hotel I ever stayed in (waaay back in the 1990s). I thought it was the most glamorous hotel ever!

·
23,157 Posts
Besides the birth connection. What would the Rupert invest in Graaf for?

Is there something going on in the town that is being made well known?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well, no idea really ey. Major income most likely only comes from the farming sector, tourism and the Montego dog food factory which is doing great. Also heard that they are planning on redeveloping the transport hub and the town park in the future.

Maybe they are confident that Shell's fracking plans will be centralized in Graaff-Reinet, since it's the biggest thriving community in the area.

Or maybe they have hope that if the Fracking proves to be successful, Graaff-Reinet will become a bigger economic hub since it has a lot of infrastructure in place (the N9, rail link to PE, land to expand).

I guess only time will tell.

PS, it is the country's fourth oldest town, maybe that's why? They also have a huge game farm outside town.

Reactions: dysan1

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting. is this the main hotel in town?
Well I guess it is the last remaining "hotel" in the sense. I don't know if the Panorama is still a hotel, or just a Culinary school now. Though there's an abundance of lodges, B&B's and backpackers. I can think of 7 just around where I live.

·
Registered
323 Posts

The Rupert organization has had a massive impact on the history of Graaff Reinet for decades, spending many, many millions on restoring and maintaining the town (including I believe, some of the original restoration to the Drostdy). The greatest majority of historical buildings was restored with money directly contributed by the Rupert organization, with many community projects also funded by them. The organization is fighting fracking as hard as they can b.t.w.
I can't find much info online (most of this happened between the 60's and the 80's), but you can see some info on this timeline:
http://www.camdeboocottages.co.za/index.php/history

1 - 8 of 8 Posts