SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You may call this project yet-another evidence of the increasing interest to provide DT Raleigh with residential options, or you can go as far as call it proof that our city's center is about to enter a new era of development, with projects popping up left and right. With only two major developments - the proposed Reynolds tower and the "secret" 21-story residential tower - not having made official appearance, DT Raleigh is still anticipating the ground-breaking of several approved projects, one of which is the famous 222 Glenwood.

This project was originally conceived as an 8-story mid-rise, then was pushed to 9 stories, and finally reached 12 stories (a 4-story parking deck with ground floor retail/restaurant destinations, plus an 8-story residential component). You may draw your own conclusions as to how attractive the design is, but anyone who knows about the existing conditions should appreciate this project a lot. Let's take a look at what's coming ahead, as well as the current status.

Disclaimer: Many thanks to the forumer who shared the following two images with me. He prefers to remain anonymous, but he knows how much I appreciate his help... Just so you guys know that I am not the one to deserve credit; I only host the images.

THE FUTURE
Facing South-East:

Obviously, the site map. To the left is North and to the top is East:

THE PRESENT
Facing the South-East, again:

This is Lane Street:

Facing North (the red brick wall is the back of the current structure):

Facing North-East:

I am sure that many people can object to some of the design details, but the truth is, we need something major in order to maintain momentum and create additional boosting. Love it or hate it, 222 Glenwood will pave the road for more development in Raleigh's fast growing Glenwood South district. The best news is, the developer wants to start construction as early as this summer (if I heard correctly). For those not familiar with the area, 222 Glenwood is going to join the 10-story Paramount and the 15-story Quorum Center, both currently under construction. There are also a few mid-rise developments planned, as well as a speculation about a Hilton hotel, all of them within a short walking distance. Personally I am very happy to see this project and I hope things are going to move fast.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This looks like a good development in that its a good use of the land for that area of Raleigh.,..however the actual design of the building leaves a lot to be desired...it is very plain jane.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree, but I will wait for any future updates on the design; it may look better in real life. In a way, it reminds me of Brownstone Hotel, on Hillsborough Street :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
it looks like they put most of their money into the storefronts and left the tower simple. sometimes, theres only so much you can do with 12 stories. i cant think of a better improvement for a lot though, that warehouse is ghastly.

·
Capital City
202 Posts
Awesome news Raleigh-NC thanks for sharing it with everyone. That place is going to be one big construction zone pretty soon...I love it!

Now, on the design of the building...I think it looks a lot like other buildings that are being built in Raleigh. This obviously isn't going to be the drop dead gorgeous building that I believe downtown Raleigh needs, but Glenwood South isn't the area that building needs to go in anyway. It serves its purpose well, and the street level design is pretty attractive. Overall I'd have to say I'm pleased, now lets get it rolling!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Must it be brick? I'm saying, Their going to start calling Raleigh Brick City in a minute. I would love to see more glass, marble, etc. More Modern. But otherwise, it's nice, really nice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
tayfromnc said:
Must it be brick? I'm saying, Their going to start calling Raleigh Brick City in a minute. I would love to see more glass, marble, etc. More Modern. But otherwise, it's nice, really nice.
Heh, well the "Brick Capital of the USA" is located about 25 miles south in Sanford :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Considering that NC used to lead (and maybe still does) the nation in production of bricks, the design isn't all that surprising. There isn't but so much developers are going to do with bricks as the primary building material. I personally think it sort of fits in with the feel of downtown raleigh, even if it is a little boring to look at. I've had friends here from california and out west who actually like the brick look because they think that feels little more gritty and urban and shows more character.
And besides that, brick structures probably have as long a life span as you could hope for in a new building. Brick doesnt show as much wear as stucco or other synthetics and it actually looks better as it gets older.
Hopefully downtown raleigh continues adding developments like these.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like the idea of brick buildings around here. It is appropriate because it's a trademark of the area. It is neat to think that a number of these bricks are made by people and materials nearby. It's like the idea of our buses, state/county/city fleet vehicles, ferries, and trains using soy-based biodiesel blends from NC facilities--it returns something "back home".

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the discussion about the brick :) If you carefully survey DT Raleigh, you can certainly find a great number of brick buildings, which add lots of character to the city, even when the designs are nothing special. Today, I had a chance to stand in front of the Sheraton Hotel, on Fayetteville Street (no longer a mall). I looked up and I must say I was unimpressed with the boxy-looking design, even though the brick exterior helps a bit. But then I looked at Sir Walter Apartments and I realized how nicer a brick building can appear if done right.

222 Glenwood is not really as full of brick as we think. There is more glass in the design than anything else, and even though I do not anticipate to see something very modern, the design does leaves a lot to be desired. The entire project, however, is very exciting and certainly needed in that area. It is critical that Glenwood South gets better connectivity between its North-West end and its South-East end. 222 Glenwood provides just that and I am truly excited about the potential. Hopefully, the demand will be there and the project won't stall. If the rumors that the developer wishes to break ground soon are true, then we all have to praise DT Raleigh for getting its projects completed at the speed of light. Two Progress Plaza, the Dawson, the Paramount and the Quorum Center started and proceeded at a fast speed. Sure, they are not 30-story projects, but even so, they set some standards and dictate the tone for future developments.

Now, if we can remain patient, the 21-story residential tower and the 32/37-story Reynolds tower may be officially proposed and delivered just as fast. I expect a lot of developers to step forward with more projects after the reopening of Fayetteville Street, another project that is truly moving fast :eek:kay:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any development is good development. As long as its not .5 stories and 10 feet tall.

I can't recall what is in the current building? Though I've pulled into that parking lot many times.

Looks like the "Preston Partnership" has done several other projects around Raleigh, including the Cameron Village renovations and some buildings at North Hills.

The design seems to be just about like every other building that is going up in the US. I honestly wish some of these architects would stray away from from the red brick, blue glass, grey metal stuff. But again, I like the location and height.

·
Registered
14 Posts
this represents the first time a national residential developer has done a project in dt Raleigh. Trammell Crow is a partner. thats partially why it is moving so fast and not stalling like so many of the smaller local developers are known to do.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Flash: Currently, it is a distribution warehouse... Don't know exactly what they distribute. About 2 weeks ago, I saw movers picking up things, which leads me to believe that the move has already started. As for the design, in general, the architects can deliver, IF the developers/investors let them. Cutting costs is significant for everyone, and considering the price of the steel we should be thankful for anything we get. Unfortunately, it always boils down to money. If you think about it, on the other hand, all those elegant buildings we see in Europe were built by people who worked almost like slaves. Architects were pushed to deliver the most elegant design, and the owners - rich people - wanted to outshine their "competition". In today's terms, the most successful developer is the one that manages to make the most out a project, not deliver the most elegant design :( Hopefully, some major investors will step up to the plate and decide to build something out of the ordinary (= boring). I bet a lot on Reynolds tower proposal. Whether it reaches high enough to be the new tallest, or not, I am confident that it will be a well-designed, unique tower.

@romec: That is a correct observation. I would leave out Archdale Bldg, as it lines up with the CBD (North-South axis), but I can see a new skyline being developed, although not a dense one:
  • Reynolds tower: ~32 stories (proposed)
  • Clarion Hotel: 20 stories (built)
  • Quorum Center: 15 stories (under construction)
  • 222 Glenwood: 12 stories (proposed)
  • Glenwood Towers: 14 & 10 stories (built)
  • Paramount: 10 stories (under construction)

The west side of downtown is definitely booming with construction. If the envisioned Hilton Hotel gets built at the Raleigh Office Supply site, it will do a lot to bring more development. I do not expect something taller than 8 stories, but it will help the density, to say the least. Density is what Glenwood South will get, more than anything else. If we take the entire west side in consideration, then we must not ignore the possibilities in the Warehouse District, where buildings as tall as 10 stories are envisioned. The skyline will definitely be improved along the west side and "force" taller structrures away from the typical CBD area. I continue to speculate and envision, but so far my wishes have come true, in one form or another :)

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@49er: That is a correct observation... Local developers tend to think small and get scared to deliver something big, even at the corporate level (e.g. First Citizens Bank). Progress Energy was definitely an exception, and so is Reynolds & Reynolds; the latter are attorneys, not developers, but their Quorum Center project is definitely a major development, and look how fast it moved from being proposed to construction. Raleigh needs a few great examples of true urban development and the local players will get involved. Now, if we can get Donald Trump's attention :jk:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, this project is shaping up better than I had hoped. Say what you will about the design and height, but beggars can’t be choosers. I’ll take a project like this any day. Hopefully this will further show the need for more and more in town residential, and help spark other development.
Raleigh-NC said:
I looked up and I must say I was unimpressed with the boxy-looking design, even though the brick exterior helps a bit.
Originally the Sheraton was designed with a much nicer (still brick) exterior, unfortunately it fell to tough economic conditions at the time. :(
Raleigh-NC said:
Currently, it is a distribution warehouse... Don't know exactly what they distribute.
Holland Grills

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Raleighmark :)

You said it right: beggars can't be choosers. This is VERY true and it all boils down to the fact that DT Raleigh doesn't have an abundance of true urban residential options, which basically means that the developers have something to bargain with; either we let them do it their way, or they can take their money elsewhere. It doesn't mean that the developers are a bunch of blood-sucking capitalists who don't care about quality, but the ball is in their court and they can decide what to do with their money.

The city has been quite open to proposals, although I am not sure the nicest projects will always be approved. It is extremely important for DT Raleigh to see major developments along Fayetteville Street. The biggest opportunity will be on the two lots that have had no official proposal: the one next to Hudson and the one where the East wing of the current convention center is; the lot adjacent to One Progress Plaza won't see anything big, that's for sure. Seriously, DT Raleigh needs a couple of towers of a decent size along its east section of Fayetteville Street. For now, we are beggars, but hopefully we won't be taken advantage. Still, only someone with a vision and deep pockets can pull such projects.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Raleigh is not a begger. Its one of the best citys in this nation and its damn time yall hold the developers to a higher standard. Have a long term vision and think what this building will be 10-15 years down the road and realize that it will look cheap and generic. Raise the bar Raleigh!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn’t mean the city of Raleigh as a beggar so much as I did the SkyscraperCity forumers. :)
While I think it would be great to be able to pick and choose the projects, I don’t think that developers are chomping at the bit to be the next one chosen to build residential projects in the downtown area. Raleigh desperately needs a critical mass of residential units in downtown before we get to the point of “raising the bar”. I’m not sure how I’ll view this project in 15 years, but I would sure love to have had it for the last 15 years. Right now I’ll take just about any mixed-use project that brings residential and retail to this growing area. I’m hoping the 20+ story condo tower that Raleigh-NC alluded to will raise the bar a notch, but will happy just to see it built!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts