SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we can't celebrate just yet about any new towers altering our still small (but growing) skyline. However, it is exciting to discover new spots from which our downtown's image may appear more interesting. When considering how dangerous it can also be to take these shots (i.e. from bridges, trees or rooftops), the value of those photos becomes even greater.

Anyway, this is unofficially the first thread I post after the purchase of my new camera and I am looking forward to sharing more photos with you. I am beginning to get used to it, but still need a lot of work before I try to get more creative. My new camera is a Fuji Finepix S7000 (pictured below), the model I had in mind to purchase for quite some time. It is a great camera and fun to use; in the hands of an experienced photographer S7000 can truly shine.

The following photos, while unofficially make up my first posted collection taken with my new camera, are not the jaw-dropping type, but nevertheless show the impact that Two Progress Plaza had in the skyline, the tremendous potential that the city's CBD has, and the impact that the upcoming developments will make in the next 3-5 years. I hope you like the photos (they have been significantly reduced in size and quality).

Not always is necessary to utilize the zooming capabilities of the camera:

A cropped version after using the zoom... not a real panoramic view:

Gotta love all this green :)

Finally a shot where wires don't stand between me and the skyline:

Yes, it was at the Hammond Rd exit:

Not exactly the most unique shot, but I still love it:

Sorry for the short thread, but I promise to reward you with something far superior, once I get more server space and time to convert all those new images.

Disclaimer: In the past, we have seen photos from the South-East Raleigh, but not from the three spots I took the above pictures. Other South-East angles have been shown here before. I simply want to qualify my Title statement.

·
Architect
1,945 Posts
Pretty nice for this short of a thread. Can't wait to see other pictures. :yes:

BTW, do you have any pictures that might be able to be cropped or resized to SSC banner size?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Two Progress Energy has really helped out the skyline alot as far as density is concerned. The width of the the Two Progress Energy tower makes the skyline stretch from the east to the west.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is the newest of Raleigh angles that have been posted in the past., such as the Raleigh Community shots and the aerial from NC State and varioius others:

The famous overly used 'Bookends Angle'

From the North end:

From Glenwood & Martin Street Intersection

A Close -Up from the south end

from south street:

Semi-Canyon, that the Progress Energy Tower helped create

The Famed "Raleigh Community Hospital" shot

Nite view:

And now the famed Hammond Road Shot:

as you can see our Raleigh skyline is not to be considered underated....by NC Standards anyway!

There is actually a Raleigh angle that has not been posted that I have seen.....................................

I do not have a photo for it but it is an angle shot that could be taken from HWY 401 just it merges with Capitol Blvd in Mini city (North Raleigh) south bound from Louisburg/Rolesville. Its a very majestic shot....in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@MattSal: what are the SSC banner specs? Feel free to visit my Raleigh MSA Images (link provided as part of my signature) and let me know which photo might be of interest.

@ejohnson: True, Two Progress Plaza has helped the skyline, although I am a bit disappointed that they didn't go above 25 stories. They could have easily done so by trimming some of the "fat" (= width) along Davie Str. Still, a great addition to our skyline. A very nice infill, and an even better pilot project. On the street level, Two Progress Plaza has helped a lot, too. As you know, I am not impressed with the lame Palladium Plaza (the residential portion of Two Progress), but if someone wants to see changes on the street-level, I do not see how I can object even to this 5-story low-rise. Anyway, just give me time and I will fulfill your wish for the Hwy 401 shot. I must warn you, though, it is TOO FAR for my camera's zoom to show anything impressive. Don't hold your breath for me to deliver an extraordinary photo. Maybe Flash can do this ;) His camera is far more capable than mine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Awesome shots!
I really liked the cropped shot that included the crane for the Quorum center.
Always cool to see another angle (I've been tempted several times to shoot from Hammond rd, just didn't know where to ditch the car :) )

·
Registered
182 Posts
the view from hammond rd/ I 40 looks great at night.......i wish someone would have the nerve to take a picture of it LOL. There is also a great angle at the intersection of garner rd. and MLK blvd. although that area is a little ghetto lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the nite views of the skyline makes it look bigger ........lites do that at nite for cities with small skylines. The only problem Ihave is that I feel that the towers we have need more logos on them....or bigger logos

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
willrusso said:
the view from hammond rd/ I 40 looks great at night.......i wish someone would have the nerve to take a picture of it LOL.
Well, not exactly at the intersection of Hammond Rd and I-40, but at the bridge right before the exit; just as dangerous during the night.

Yet-another cropped image:

From the second bridge, right after you take the exit. The railroad tracks are not visible during the night, of course, but neither are all those stupid wires that blocked my view from the first bridge:

The famous shot from S. Saunders Street; yes, it has been cropped. Not the best one, but nevertheless interesting:

DT Raleigh doesn't only need a better skyline, it needs a better lit one, as well. Wachovia Center has a lot more potential to show off itself, but it hasn't been realized. One & Two Progress Plaza, as well as Two Hannover Square are all well lit during the night. Like ejohnson said, some more visible logos might help. Last night was not exactly the clearest, so the above photos may not appear as neat as they could have been... plus I was scewing around with my camera's settings :) During the night, Raleigh's skyline shows its weaker side, but it still looks nice when you look at it through your own eyes.

By the way, we recently changed computers, here at work, and the new monitors seem to have the Gamma correction applied by default. My photos have been "treated" to fix this problem in most displays, but they may still appear darker in yours. I don't know how much detail you may miss because of this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts