SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's take a little break from all the discussions about the new projects in DT Raleigh and move to some more visual topics. Clear skies - for the most part - pleasant temperatures and a new camera can take one very far. Ok, not too far, but Glenwood South, the NW tip of downtown, is always a good place to be. Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure:

Southend Brewery and Smokehouse:

518 West:

A woodpecker at 300mm, the only way I could get a good close up... Well, sort of:

Rockford's(second floor). I highly recommend their sandwiches:

Enoteca Vin, a place with one of the best collection of wines in Raleigh:

To the right of the facade is the door that leads to Aura club (lower level):

Armadillo Grill:

The Creamery, one of the earliest success stories in Glenwood South:

Bistro 607:

Hope you enjoyed the little tour, although I must apologize for showing 510 Glenwood so much. Thanks for visiting.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeap!!! These days we can safely talk about doubling our downtown's skyline by 2008, although this may not be hard to do when considering the relatively small number of towers above 20 stories that we have today. Glenwood South will experience a much bigger growth, I think. With the 15-story Quorum Center, the 14-story West at North, the 10-story North Street and even the 7-story 222 Glenwood, we'll definitely surpass [building against building] the already completed mid-rises that make up GS's skyline. Truly exciting :eek:kay: Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys :)

canine7, the 2nd photo from the top is the BBQ & Ribs Co, a barbeque joint. Nothing special, I must say, but it's nice to have it in Glenwood South.

ralex231, my new camera is a Nikon D50. It came with a Nikor 18-55mm lens (shown below):

I also got two more Nikor lenses, a 70-300mm and a 24-120mm:

It is a pretty decent camera, for a 6.1MP. If you want a digital SLR and you want to get your feet wet without breaking the bank, D50 will do the job. If you want to make a jump to a more powerful camera, later on, then I would advise you to stick with the same brand, because you could reuse the lenses... the most pricy element. Canon has done a good job with its Digital Rebel XT, if you wish to consider something that offers 8MP instead.

Did anyone have a chance to attend Alive After Five this past week? They had it in front of 510 Glenwood, at the North side. A bit odd place to host such an event, but I am sure it went well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW - beautiful pics! Having grown up nearby (plus went to college in Raleigh and later spent some years living and working in Chapel Hill & Durham), it's great to see and hear that Raleighwood is doing so well! And yes, while I do love where I live now, sometimes I miss North Carolina's capital city - what a GREAT town!

suzanne

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
suztours, your feelings are shared by many people who lived here and left. They never realized how much they would miss the Triangle until they were gone. But during your next visit - you will visit sometime in the future, right? - you will be shocked by all the changes you'll notice. Improvements in quality of entertainment and other urban options, not just new buildings. Glad you liked the photos :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Raleigh-NC - it's been a couple of years since I was visiting nearby and it'll be another some months or so before I'll get there again, but with many friends in the Raleigh area (and my brother lives in Cary), I hope to spend a bit more time exploring all the newness!

Thanks for the pics - and also the link to the pics of Kalamata. I haven't been to Greece in ages, so maybe next time I get there I'll explore that town - it looks fabulous!

suzanne

·
Registered
147 Posts
Raleigh-NC i was just at the Gov. Mansion last night and then i went to Sullivans for dinner. i love GS. it feels so urban and modern in all of the old buildings. i love goin there on weekends.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
suztours, Kalamata is a great place to be, especially between May and September. I am getting ready to scan some photos I took a few years ago with my 35mm camera, and post them in the same thread you visited, but give me another 2-3 weeks. Very lively, urban, green - for Greece's standards, of course - and has the privilege of being situated between the mountains, the sea and the Messinian Valley. Good nightlife options, too. If the 1986 earthquake had not nearly destroyed the city, it would have been a little miracle. It will be fun to visit :eek:kay:

Rufus, you are not alone. While GS may not be complete, it feels mature and certainly a pleasure to visit. It gives you that positive vibe!!! I would like to see the areas between West Str and Capital Blvd/Dawson Str fill up with as much urban projects as possible. That will complete GS and rid the area of some warehouses and not-so-urban low-rises. If you haven't checked out April & George's Wine Bar, pay that place a visit, unless you don't drink wine :)

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Very nice! Glenwood South is looking good. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts