SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Kenyan stakeholder
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The road is entirely located in Kiambu County. It measures approximately 25 (including bypasses, loops and accesses) kilometres and commences at Pangani and Muthaiga Interchanges along Thika road and proceeds through Kiambu ending at Ndumberi.

The study for design shall incorporate design for all access roads to Government institutions including but not limited to schools, colleges, District headquarters and other Government offices. Major loop roads within townships or market centres and potential bypasses along the road shall also be included. Design of a bypass road for Kiambu town shall be mandatory. Also design of interchanges where necessary shall be undertaken. The design shall incorporate the Bus Rapid Transport (BRT) system along the main road as necessary.

KeNHA Consultancy Tender Notices

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Just like Magadi road, got no idea how this one remained single for that long

Reactions: Kenguy

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
While at it, they better reconfigure the Pangani interchange especially with the anticipated increase in traffic.

I have always advocated for all Kiambu road traffic to avoid the main tunnel altogether and join Forest road and Muranga road via a forked overpass. Make the interchange a four level interchange.

·
ici maintenant & toujours
1,845 Posts
Nbumberi to get a dual carriage! I would understand the Muthaiga - Runda section. This means that even Kiambu town will get it. This is big news. Kiambu town jams have been epic although the governor has tried to manage the matatu madness at the Oil-libya stage

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nbumberi to get a dual carriage! I would understand the Muthaiga - Runda section. This means that even Kiambu town will get it. This is big news. Kiambu town jams have been epic although the governor has tried to manage the matatu madness at the Oil-libya stage
WOW!! you haven't seen the traffic jam in the morning and evening that can stretch all the way from Mushroom Road to Muthaiga!! Its not only the Runda - Muthaiga section that is busy.

I guess Ndumberi is the where the dual carriageway will end/start...As for the actual point in Ndumberi where that will be, we just have to wait and see once the designs are done.

·
Registered
314 Posts
WOW!! you haven't seen the traffic jam in the morning and evening that can stretch all the way from Mushroom Road to Muthaiga!! Its not only the Runda - Muthaiga section that is busy.

I guess Ndumberi is the where the dual carriageway will end/start...As for the actual point in Ndumberi where that will be, we just have to wait and see once the designs are done.
Also logic says the city will expand that way. The jams on this road are crazy

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Good project. I hope they dual Limuru road too till Ruaka to join the Northern Bypass.

I hope the county government get busy too in paving access roads using bitumen, cabros or even cobblestones to remove dirt, loose soil and murram in all urban areas.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Hakuna county imetumia hizo hela kujenga dual road, hazitoshi

·
01001101 to bits
440 Posts
While at it, they better reconfigure the Pangani interchange especially with the anticipated increase in traffic.

I have always advocated for all Kiambu road traffic to avoid the main tunnel altogether and join Forest road and Muranga road via a forked overpass. Make the interchange a four level interchange.
Dude! Man! Mr! Sir! Yaani, your idea is so novel. Never thought about it before.

Reactions: Kenguy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just like Magadi road, got no idea how this one remained single for that long
I dare say they should have started by dualling Limuru Road upto Ruaka interchange with Bypasses. The mess that will be here once we have the Nairobi Western Bypass and Northern Bypass both terminating at Ruaka will be enormous. Also seems to make more economic sense with the all the business establishments and United Nations Office being served by Limuru Road. Anyway still good to have another dual carriage.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I dare say they should have started by dualling Limuru Road upto Ruaka interchange with Bypasses. The mess that will be here once we have the Nairobi Western Bypass and Northern Bypass both terminating at Ruaka will be enormous. Also seems to make more economic sense with the all the business establishments and United Nations Office being served by Limuru Road. Anyway still good to have another dual carriage.
Limuru road hata sasa still has light traffic

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This road is now under design by a Chinese contractor. I tried to get the name of the Company yesterday evening but could not. It's very secretive.

The Contractor has engaged the services of one of the big road design companies in the country. I was able to speak to one of the Designers who told me they are incorporating BRT, and that the works should be commencing sometime this year.

I'm concerned with the duplication of effort though. Another consultant has just finished design so I wonder what has happened the last few weeks to warrant a design and build contractor to do another one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
This road is now under design by a Chinese contractor. I tried to get the name of the Company yesterday evening but could not. It's very secretive.

The Contractor has engaged the services of one of the big road design companies in the country. I was able to speak to one of the Designers who told me they are incorporating BRT, and that the works should be commencing sometime this year.

I'm concerned with the duplication of effort though. Another consultant has just finished design so I wonder what has happened the last few weeks to warrant a design and build contractor to do another one.

This BRT idea is very welcome BUT it seems its just mentioned during designing but when the construction commences the idea is shelved...Case in point Outer Ring Road and Ngong Road. I think even Thika Highway was initially supposed to incorporate BRT or a Light Rail..So I will believe this story of BRT when construction commences.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Same question I asked when I passed through Kiambu road yesterday, why is this road not dual? dangerous considering the topography and crazy traffic.

Could it be because there is no land compensation to be paid so no room for people to eat? On Kiambu road the road reserve is intact all the way from Muthaiga to Kirigiti junction as no buildings are on the reserve just car yards.

Maybe that makes it unattractive and KenHA and KURA would rather work on dualling the whole of Northern and Eastern Bypass since they will require billions for land compensation and in the process people can buy plots in advance??

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I wish they would proceed and go from Ndumberi and all the way to Githunguri.The road was done in 2015 when Kabogo was governor and is now worn out.The road in Kiambu Town from Nova past Indian Bazaar to Ndumberi should also be included as it serves the same traffic.The section around Indian Bazaar has been given to a quack contractor courtesy of Ministry of Public Works I think and the contractor has uprooted water pipes leaving residents without water and wants to proceed without having them returned.smh

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
^^Do they have an email for submission of comments? A number of people here have comments which may help contribute to improved design of the road. I saw for example @kenguy had a proposal up there...reaching out to them with such comments would be nice. Their Twitter may be another alternative.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts