·
Registered
78,268 Posts
wow, thanks imre

·
Registered
23 Posts
July 21, 2007
Burj Dubai surpasses Taipei 101 which stands at a height of 509.2 m (1,671 ft) and was the tallest building on Earth

one year anniversary

·
Registered
31,846 Posts
excuse me I'v been out from this thread but the photo you have above is real??? The sun looks quiet false
The photo is REAL.

·
Registered
12,975 Posts
The John Hancock Center in Chicago (100 stories) doesn't have a single elevator that goes all the way from top to bottom. Even the freight operations have to transfer at 44 and 98.

Looking historically, it's not unusual for skyscrapers to not have elevators that go all the way to the top. The Carew Tower in Cincinnati (50 stories, built from 1929-1931) requires you to walk up stairs to access the last couple of floors.
Funny you mention those two buildings, although I live in Melbourne Australia I have been to the top of both. It's a while since Chicago...but thought the elevator to the observation deck at JH was straight through? and the Carew Tower in Cincinnati last year was amazing...with the stairway for the last few floors with a lady sitting at a small table taking a couple of dollars...and the open roof on top with no barriers...wouldn't see that in many places across the whole world these days. The Empire State gave the option to walk down from 86 to 80 floors to catch a lift.....and probably to ease congestion from the Ob. deck. Wonder what capacity Ob. Deck Burj Dubai will hold ? Looks very slim up there yet looking at construction close up pics still quite a good size area...so far!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great update!

I see the cladding has reached top of the concrete section. Does anyone know if they will move on to steal section right away?

·
Registered
78,268 Posts
. The Empire State gave the option to walk down from 86 to 80 floors to catch a lift.....and probably to ease congestion from the Ob. deck. Wonder what capacity Ob. Deck Burj Dubai will hold ? Looks very slim up there yet looking at construction close up pics still quite a good size area...so far!
the ob deck on floor 124 is quite sizable.
ive worked out is approx 65m x 46m
the indoor area measures appprox 2900sqm (1000sqm for the core), so about 2000sqm to walk around in. the outdoor terrace measures 38mx 16m or about 600sqm.
anyone been up lev103 in Sears tower?
that measures 45mx23m or 1035sqm (including service core)
so Burj dubais ob deck is over double size of sears towers.

·
Registered
31,846 Posts
The photo is real but the sun is not.
The sun sets on that direction and I have seen similar sunsets. With certain filters used I believe it is possible to take such pic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sun sets on that direction and I have seen similar sunsets. With certain filters used I believe it is possible to take such pic.
I achieved a similar photo during a sunset as a teenager almost 20 years ago. I filtered the strength of the sun by placing two pairs of polarized sunglasses in front of the cheap 35mm camera lens while taking the photo. The only thing that marred the shot is that there was a hair on one of my lenses.

Lens filters are not expensive, and are simple to use.

·
I love Skyscrapers
34,233 Posts
the ob deck on floor 124 is quite sizable.
ive worked out is approx 65m x 46m
the indoor area measures appprox 2900sqm (1000sqm for the core), so about 2000sqm to walk around in. the outdoor terrace measures 38mx 16m or about 600sqm.
anyone been up lev103 in Sears tower?
that measures 45mx23m or 1035sqm (including service core)
so Burj dubais ob deck is over double size of sears towers.
wow, never thought that it would be double size! 65m...that is wider than the base of the old WTC Twins :nuts:

·
Industrial Twilight
1,097 Posts
Imre, those are some excellent photos! Some of those truly show off the monolithic size of the tower. Just imagine what the Dubai skyline would look like with about 10 or 20 more towers around the same height...

Sci-fi skyline.

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,281 Posts
It`s fake because in a real pic you would see the sun looking through the windows.
The sun is also very large. You need at least 300mm or 400mm to get the sun that large. If you want to see the Burj Dubai on full size at 300mm you need to drive very very far away. But the pic is not taken that far away. The sun is also as clear as a circle.
It`s photoshop.

·
The-Real-Link!!
909 Posts
Not a professional by any means but that reddish photo seems doable enough with the right clear weather, filter and evening sky. In fact, I'd say the photo including the red sky is real - just the sun isn't, unless it's so underexposed to appear yellow-gold instead of more blinding as normal. Even if concrete walls blocked the rays, to see no light through the tower at the angles and distances apart on wings of the windows that we know is highly unlikely.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding either as to how to achieve a true effect like this but regardless the photo is very cool and a good attempt at least to photoshop if indeed it was done.

Back to a more on topic subject. Imre, those shots rock as others said for showing the massive scale. Thanks for showing us that "Beach Road" photo to update us on the difference since I think the last time one of those was taken was when we were still watching concrete. That third shot down the road though is crazy!

8581 - 8600 of 32386 Posts