SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
4341 - 4359 of 4359 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
For now ity's just a big piece of convcrete in the ground.Not even worth mentioning it here.

Keep in mind that all tall towers start as a big piece of concrete in the ground! It will probably start up again when the market allows it, my personal guess is that they will resume building when somebody starts building something that threatens Burj Khalifa's status as the tallest observation deck in the city (i.e. Dubai One).

Also, I finally found the appropriate place to discuss the UAE real estate market situation, which this thread often has looped back to lately. It's here.

·
bling bling
7,141 Posts
Keep in mind that all tall towers start as a big piece of concrete in the ground! It will probably start up again when the market allows it, my personal guess is that they will resume building when somebody starts building something that threatens Burj Khalifa's status as the tallest observation deck in the city (i.e. Dubai One).

Also, I finally found the appropriate place to discuss the UAE real estate market situation, which this thread often has looped back to lately. It's here.
congradulations discovering the property thread. It use to be much more active before, but still is the most popular UAE thread with by far the most views.

·
Registered
403 Posts
An interesting fact: The "Skyscraper Center", the official database of the CTBUH no longer lists the famous estimated height of 1300 metres. This figure has vanished from their website. That does not mean anything though. Maybe Emaar, who might be a CTBUH donor, does not want that height to be published before the tower is complete. That could also explain why CTBUH still lists it as "under construction", although no crane has moved for seven months now.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Price of oil going down is definitely a big factor behind the delays, or even the possible termination of the project.

Went to Dubai a few months ago. Boy oh boy, saw what a giant building (Burj Khalifa) that has an extremely high vacancy rate looks like from the inside. It ain't pretty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Saw what a giant building (Burj Khalifa) that has an extremely high vacancy rate looks like from the inside. It ain't pretty.
I should probably ask the question on the BK thread, but other than the hotel, what percentage of the other portion of the building is actually occupied?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
An interesting fact: The "Skyscraper Center", the official database of the CTBUH no longer lists the famous estimated height of 1300 metres. This figure has vanished from their website. That does not mean anything though. Maybe Emaar, who might be a CTBUH donor, does not want that height to be published before the tower is complete. That could also explain why CTBUH still lists it as "under construction", although no crane has moved for seven months now.
It's also because no height has ever been officially stated by Emaar, apart from "it will be taller than Burj Khalifa". The 1300m+ figure was an estimate based on renders of the two buildings placed side on side. If we go purely by official sources, 828m+ is the only number we ever got. There was the construction animation video, though, which showed numbers that added up to somewhere in the vincinity of 1300 meters. However, this video was not released by Emaar.

As the thread title of Jeddah Tower only says "1000m+" now instead of "1007m" as it did for a while, I think the 828m+ figure would be appropriate to use in this thread title too. On the other hand, I could see the arguments for keeping the current figure as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,350 · (Edited)
^^ I am not going to fact correct you every time because it is exhausting ... we have an elevator diagram that clearly states the tallest floor to be on 1100m+, plus Emaar stated in an AD that is one is 1300m before they noticed it and pulled it down in Dubai Mall. Please next time make sure you share correct data with us.

And this is your 10000 post about this one same subject .. so if you have no updates, please refrain from posting anything here because it is misleading atm.

·
333 Posts
Unfortunately, some of the CTBUH's most prominent members are involved with major projects such as Jeddah Tower and Dubai Creek Tower. I am quite sure that the CTBUH have been requested to not list their projects as "on hold" and show the exact height figures.

Similar case with One World Trade Center. The correct height to the top of the spire is 1781' 8" measured from the Vesey Street entrance, but certain parties want it listed as 1776'. Just politics...

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,358 ·
Yu Tao: China's CSCEC ME 'actively involved' in Dubai Creek Tower bid

Yu Tao, the chief executive officer of China State Engineering and Construction Middle East (CSCEC ME), told Construction Week that the Chinese state-owned contractor was “actively involved” in the tender process for the $1bn (AED3.67bn) super-tall Dubai Creek Tower, which is being jointly developed by Emaar Properties and Dubai Holding as part of the 6km2 Dubai Creek Harbour master development.

“We hope we will have a chance to sign the contract this year and start construction soon,” Tao said.

“The tender negotiations [are] still going on. It’s a massive project and extremely challenging – it’s probably one of the most difficult ones in the world, so it’s taking time.”

Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava designed Dubai Creek Tower, which Tao said was "by nature" an interesting scheme given its height.

He explained: “Ordinary construction equipment is not able to take [on] this kind of challenge.

“For super-high rises, the most difficult part is the vertical transportation. If you cannot supply material and send the resources to such a high level, you cannot deliver [the project].”

Tao said Dubai Creek Tower would be reinforced by a group of stay cables, known for their application on bridge projects.

Commenting on the tower, he added: "It is a combination of the technology of buildings and bridges. You will probably see the longest stay-cable in the world ever installed on a building project [with Dubai Creek Tower].”

https://www.constructionweekonline....me-actively-involved-in-dubai-creek-tower-bid

4341 - 4359 of 4359 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.